Mobileread
Kobo's Best Indie Cover Contest
#51  gmw 01-06-2020, 08:45 PM
Quote hobnail
[...] Given that it's a maker of ereaders what I think what they should have done is have the requirement that the cover look good with 16 levels of gray; allow the artist to submit two covers, one in color and the other in 16 levels of gray.
That the cover works in grey scale is certainly a requirement of publishers that care about their covers. (Some trad' publishers are known to put plain covers in the epub and so bypass the requirement - and I really dislike that.) That and the ability to look reasonable in a thumbnail are all just part of what makes a cover good as opposed to merely being a pretty picture.

Of course non-publishers being asked to pick their favourites are going to use their own rules, as we've seen discussed here, and can't realistically be expected to take into consideration what the cover is actually there to do. So we will get people who vote for the prettiest, shiniest covers even if they are completely useless for their task.

#52  hobnail 01-06-2020, 10:10 PM
Quote gmw
Of course non-publishers being asked to pick their favourites are going to use their own rules, as we've seen discussed here, and can't realistically be expected to take into consideration what the cover is actually there to do. So we will get people who vote for the prettiest, shiniest covers even if they are completely useless for their task.
Exactly. But at least the eye candy covers do their job of grabbing eyeballs on the web store.

#53  gmw 01-06-2020, 10:18 PM
Quote hobnail
Exactly. But at least the eye candy covers do their job of grabbing eyeballs on the web store.
But, as per an earlier comment of mine, you want them to be the right eyeballs. If you attract the wrong audience the reviews will reflect their disappointment and adversely affect sales. Covers try to achieve contradictory aims: stand out from the crowd, but still attract people interested in that crowd.

« First  « Prev   (6/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register