Mobileread
Kobo's Best Indie Cover Contest
#11  JSWolf 01-03-2020, 09:14 AM
Quote gmw
Whatever the original intention of the poll (if it had one beyond being some end of year filler), you may well be right as to the result, especially if a significant proportion of the voters think the same as you do. But that does make it a truly pointless exercise.
I disagree. When you do a cover vote, you look at how good the cover is. But unfortunately in a lot of cases, it's popularity contest and the covers don't actually matter. Like what happened on Goodreads with their cover poll.

#12  gmw 01-03-2020, 07:30 PM
Quote JSWolf
I disagree. When you do a cover vote, you look at how good the cover is. But unfortunately in a lot of cases, it's popularity contest and the covers don't actually matter. Like what happened on Goodreads with their cover poll.
If I understand your post correctly, you object to book cover popularity contests* because you believe they often become content popularity contests. I suspect a formal study would find such a correlation exists, but cause and effect could be harder to isolate.

It is possible that a book gained popularity as a result of its attractive cover. It is possible that a cover looks attractive to people because it matches other books in a popular genre and so just becomes a refinement of something people already associate with enjoyment. And speaking of associations, think Pavlov's dogs: "every time I picked up that image I had a good time so I find that image attractive", sort of thing.

* Any contest that looks only at the cover image without considering whether it is appropriate to the content is not looking for good covers, it is only looking for popular covers.

#13  ZodWallop 01-04-2020, 12:05 AM
Quote JSWolf
That may be, but as stand-alone covers, they are absolute garbage. They got voted for on Goodreads due to all the girls who like sparkly vampires. When you are voting for the best cover(s), you should be looking at just the cover and no voting based on the book. It's not supposed to be a popularity contest. It's supposed to be about the best covers, not some of the worst covers aka Twilight series.
Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. Twilight has very good covers.

I'm going to venture that your disdain for the covers is tired to your dislike of the books and their fans. Your judgement of the quality of the covers is irrational.

#14  ZodWallop 01-04-2020, 12:10 AM
In my opinion, the best book cover is the cover for The Great Gatsby:

image »

#15  VydorScope 01-04-2020, 07:47 AM
Pretend for a moment I was a Stephen King level author. I then put out a book with an okayish cover but inside was the typical quality and content that my readers like. I then enter a cover contest. I decide I want to win the cover contest so I send an email out to my newsletter "Yo! My stuff is up for a vote, go vote!"

Who do you think would win that contest? The person with the best cover, or the biggest loyal following. I will leave the answer as an exercise for the reader.

#16  gmw 01-04-2020, 08:14 AM
Except that, other than the distraction concerning the Twilight covers, with the link of the OP we are not talking of the same sort of disparity in the authors. There probably is some, but is it enough to outweigh the public access factor? No idea, but I have my doubts. With such low voter numbers almost anyone (artist, author, fan, random-outsider looking to amuse themselves) could potentially have swayed the result.

#17  VydorScope 01-04-2020, 08:20 AM
So what you are saying is I should have activated my list and swept the contest?

#18  gmw 01-04-2020, 08:33 AM
If you want to prove your point you'd have to use your first cover. The one's you have been using more recently are high enough quality that they might well win against the current list whether you send out a notice to your fans or not. Win with your first cover, against the current field, and I would consider your point made.

#19  VydorScope 01-04-2020, 08:51 AM
Quote gmw
If you want to prove your point you'd have to use your first cover. The one's you have been using more recently are high enough quality that they might well win against the current list whether you send out a notice to your fans or not. Win with your first cover, against the current field, and I would consider your point made.
Covers have become my second largest expense in this game. Long gone are the days I could just slap some pics in GIMP add Papyrus text and call it done.

#20  Deskisamess 01-04-2020, 12:59 PM
What one person considers "good art" is subjective. I think it is virtually impossible to separate a cover from the content of the book. Even if you've never read the book, but have basic knowledge of the content, as an example, the Twilight books. A distaste of the content is going to affect your opinion of the cover. I'm not sure how it couldn't.

I've not read the books, but have seen bits of a couple of the movies. I also don't like the covers, they seem as if they are trying too hard to be mysterious and naughty. Covers designed with 13 year old girls in mind.

(effect?)

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register