Mobileread
64-bit crashes on load
#11  JSWolf 04-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Quote JaneFancher
Nope. I'm definitely 64 bit OS. Got lots of RAM for graphics and 32 bit can't use it. The ONLY reason I ended up with a Vista machine at all was because my main graphics laptop went belly up this summer and I had to do a fast replacement.

Valloric, I don't question the program, which looks oh-so-promising on my lesser machine. I'm just hoping that someone else has had the same problem and might know where to start looking. I really don't have anything particularly exotic on this except all the junk HP insists on loading onto one of their machines. Stuff it takes more time than I have to devote to it to clear out safely, they've embedded it so thoroughly.
Did you by any chance upgrade your Vista to Windows 7 or did you do a fresh install of Windows 7? It seems you can have issues when you upgrade Vista in place as some of the Vista nastiness can remain.

#12  Valloric 04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
I'd agree with JSWolf here, it could be related to the Windows upgrade process, which is notoriously unreliable.

#13  JaneFancher 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks everybody.

Ack...I was afraid of that.

It is an upgrade from Vista. I was forced into buying a vista machine last summer...just before 7 came available, but only with the assurance that I'd get Win7 when it came out. I did a clean sweep of the disk with a restore install of Vista, then did the upgrade over the top of that.

The Win7 disk I got as part of the purchase is capable (so it says) of a clean install, but since it's an HP laptop with all sorts of proprietary garbage on it, I wasn't sure if a clean install would work. It would mean I'd lose the graphics program that was part of why I bought the machine, but I might have to do it anyway, if it'll work. Grrrr....

Can someone tell me if there is any reason [I]not[I] to do a clean install on a laptop? I do it all the time on the desktops I build, but the laptops are still a bit black box to me....tho come to think of it, I've torn apart a couple of them now and gotten them back together...maybe it's not that different.

If it makes any difference, I tried installing Sigil in Safe Mode. It will come up in Safe, but not run. Since the Safe Drivers are all coming out of the system 32 folder, I probably shouldn't be surprised. I suppose I could start taking things out of the startup menu, see if I can isolate the cause, but....wow, that would take longer than a clean install, even with all the programs I'd have to put on.

Wow...Just what I wanted for Easter...another computer problem.

Thanks again.

#14  JayCeeEll 04-02-2010, 06:50 AM
I always wipe my machines and do a clean install to get rid of the crapware so many OEMs put on their machines.
They way I do it is.

1) Ensure I have the correct copy of Windows either on USB or DVD (wintoflash is great for this.)

2) Download all the drivers for the OEM website.

3) Backup the current state of the machine (Windows Backup/Acronis True Image/Norton Ghost) so that if I f**k up I can just restore and try again. Miss out this step and things WILL go wrong, you have been warned!

4) Boot from the USB/DVD and do a custom install, including deleting the current partition(s).

5) Install any basic drivers needed to access internet. (Usually just ethernet card)

6) Allow windows update to fully patch the machine, sometimes takes two or three updates depending on how old the OS is.

7) Install any other drivers needed (display/sound).

8) Backup my nice clean version of the machine.

9) Install any other software need.

10) Have fun using my new computer.

#15  Josch91 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm also sure that my Windows 7 is 64bit.
And my Windows 7 isn't an update from Vista. I'installed it the normal way.

image »

#16  Valloric 04-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote Josch91
I'm also sure that my Windows 7 is 64bit.
And my Windows 7 isn't an update from Vista. I'installed it the normal way.
That... complicates matters. I honestly don't know what could be the problem... try reinstalling the vcredist libraries.

#17  Josch91 04-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote Valloric
That... complicates matters. I honestly don't know what could be the problem... try reinstalling the vcredist libraries.
This doesn't change anything.

#18  JaneFancher 04-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote JayCeeEll
I always wipe my machines and do a clean install to get rid of the crapware so many OEMs put on their machines.
They way I do it is.

3) Backup the current state of the machine (Windows Backup/Acronis True Image/Norton Ghost) so that if I f**k up I can just restore and try again. Miss out this step and things WILL go wrong, you have been warned!

Thanks!

#19  JaneFancher 04-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote Josch91
This doesn't change anything.
Hmmm...maybe for now, I'll just use the 32 bit on my other machine! I want to embed fonts in my epub and I understand Sigil is my best bet.

#20  Valloric 04-02-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm out of ideas.

It has to be something with your computer, there are hundreds of people using x64 versions of Sigil without issues (and for 0.1.x, thousands). This thread is the first I've heard of someone being able to run Sigil x86, but not x64.

Let's try eliminating some variables.
  1. Uninstall Sigil.
  2. Go to Start->Run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes).
  3. Find the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Strahinja Markovic" folder.
  4. Delete it.
  5. Download beta3 x64 from the project site.
  6. Install it to the default location.
  7. Try running it now.
Then report back.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register