Mobileread
Classic Why I Didn't Preorder the Nook
#1  rhadin 10-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I thought about it. And this morning I received an e-mail from B&N encouraging me to preorder. I even went to the website and put one in the cart. But then I removed it and moved on.

Other than getting free overnight shipping and being first in the neighborhood, what's the advantage to preordering? None that I can see.

I'm a member of the B&N discount club -- have been for years -- and I buy several thousand dollars worth of hardcovers every year. But the discount is not applicable to the Nook. So no price reason to preorder.

Well perhaps I could save on accessories, like buying a missing cover or getting an extended warranty. Nope -- discount membership doesn't work there either.

Well it would be nice to get the Nook early as I like to shop at B&N. But what if I get it and find that my Sony 505 is far better for me or that I really should buy the iRex 800 or the Sony Daily Edition? Yes, I can return the Nook within 14 days (even Amazon gives you 30 days) but it will cost me at least $38.85 (15%) in restocking fee and B&N reserves the right to charge me for the "free" overnight shipping. And what about the cover -- I'm afraid to ask. I'm not willing to pay $40+ to see whether I like the device just so I can be first in the neighborhood.

So no preorder. I'll wait to see the unit in the store and if i like it, I'll buy one then. The price will be the same (maybe B&N will change its mind about the discount) so there is nothing to lose by waiting.

B&N should have made it better for club members.

#2  DaleDe 10-21-2009, 02:43 PM
I think they include a free eBook for pre-orders.

Dale

#3  kindlekitten 10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Quote DaleDe
I think they include a free eBook for pre-orders.

Dale
yeah.

whoopee

#4  badgoodDeb 10-21-2009, 03:40 PM
They should at least make it a free ebook of the purchaser's choice, not an arbitrary ebook that I may not be interested in reading.

#5  Abulia 10-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Why pre-order? To ensure that you get one, that's all. Obviously B&N is going to fill pre-orders first and available stock will likely be divvied up between their B&M locations. That could be 100 per store or 50 per store...or 2 per store. Or, worse yet, none in physical stores (beyond demo units) at launch.

So without knowing how many B&N stores are around you in Poughkeepsie, you might not be able to get one at launch.

Your comments are all fair points but it really sounds like you're seeking validation for your decision or rationalizing it out loud.

#6  brad72la 10-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Having a dictionary and able to select the word through touch screen for dictionary look-up is an important feature to me. So, no pre-order for Nook.

#7  DaleDe 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Quote brad72la
Having a dictionary and able to select the word through touch screen for dictionary look-up is an important feature to me. So, no pre-order for Nook.
why not? A dictionary is included.

Dale

#8  Daithi 10-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I ordered one, but I'm having second thoughts on if I should have ordered it.

I already have a Kindle 1 and a Kindle DX -- the Kindle 1 is gathering dust. The B&N book site also seems to be more expensive than the Amazon site, so I'm not sure how many B&N books I'll actually be buying.

The Nook definitely has some things I like. Support of the ePub format and support of an SD card are probably the top two. However, I'm starting to think that I probably should have waited for the B&N/Plastic Logic device that is supposed to be out in a few months. If I'm going to have one device from B&N, I think I'd rather have a large screen device that supports ePub instead of the Nook.

#9  Bilbo1967 10-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Quote brad72la
Deleted.

#10  pking36330 10-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Quote Bilbo1967
I'd say that if dictionary look up is that important to you then you should probably be heading back to school.

Seriously, if you really enjoy reading enough to consider shelling out serious money on a dedicated reading device then I would expect you would have read enough to not be stumped by words often enough to justify needing a dictionary by your side.
Definitely a pulp fiction reader! They never put hard words in those.

I enjoy reading fiction and non-fiction about regions and topics that I have no previous exposure and thus I consider a dictionary an essential element of my ebook reader purchase. And that's why they make Fords and Chevys (or Rolls and Bentleys).

Next »  Last »  (1/13)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register