Mobileread
New 27" iMac announced
#11  JSWolf 08-05-2020, 11:52 AM
Word processing on an iPad is very lacking. Word and other programs are lackluster missing many features.

So depending on what you need to do, an iPad is not a laptop replacement. It can just end up costing more to do less.

#12  tomsem 08-05-2020, 07:53 PM
Quote ilovejedd

I was planning on getting a 2020 Mac Mini and doing aftermarket upgrades but apparently, Apple's gone the soldered route for storage and the RAM is very hard to replace. To get 16GB/1TB is $1400 and even 16GB/512GB is $1200.

Sadly, I think the iMac features soldered RAM as well
Replacing RAM on the 2017 or later Mac mini or 27” iMac is a DIY job, and it is not soldered. I don’t think that has changed with this new one, it’s the same outside with upgraded internal components.

Watch the respective memory install videos here:
https://macsales.com

The 21.5” iMac is not so DIY. The RAM is not soldered, but you have to pull the glass off to get at it (macsales, maybe Best Buy can do it).

8GB is fine, any reasonable person would get that and then upgrade the RAM, as it is much cheaper than buying it configured with more from Apple. And except for people who need performance, it will be just fine for web surfing email FaceTime etc. It’s nice to have a bigger screen and to know you can upgrade RAM easily when you need to.

But the lowest tier model doesn’t offer any storage options, Fusion drive options having been killed off. With only 256GB, I would have difficulty recommending that to anyone, even if external storage is cheap and can be acceptably fast.

The Upgrade podcast folks suggest that there will not be a major iMac Pro, given the migration to ARM CPUs. I think this is plausible: The Mac Pro line will be the last to migrate. They also think 21.5” will be replaced and get ARM before that, and it should be a better value than the current line up is, whether there will be lower price points remains to be seen.

It will be interesting to see if the ARM-based developer mini will be followed by an official release. I would certainly be interested.

So as the new iMac is mostly to serve Pro users who actually need the performance and can justify paying for it, of course this leans in that direction. The nanotextured option is another example of who this Mac is for.

#13  ilovejedd 08-05-2020, 10:36 PM
Quote tomsem
Replacing RAM on the 2017 or later Mac mini or 27” iMac is a DIY job, and it is not soldered. I don’t think that has changed with this new one, it’s the same outside with upgraded internal components.

Watch the respective memory install videos here:
https://macsales.com
I’ve already watched the RAM install video for the 2018/2020 Mac Mini previously. It’s not within my skill set (just too clumsy and impatient). Ended up just going for an Intel NUC8I5BEH with 32GB RAM+1TB 970 EVO. Second easiest computer I’ve ever built (easiest being the Raspberry Pi).

If the Apple refurb store stocks the Mac Mini again ($649?), I might grab one for my dad. He only uses it for YouTube and Facebook anyway so 8GB+256GB should suffice to replace his Windows 7 PC.

#14  pwalker8 08-06-2020, 08:11 AM
Quote JSWolf
Word processing on an iPad is very lacking. Word and other programs are lackluster missing many features.

So depending on what you need to do, an iPad is not a laptop replacement. It can just end up costing more to do less.
Well, yea, if you want a high end word processor with all the bells and whistles, the you probably don't want the iPad. Pages works fine and is good enough for my needs. Of course, I have yet to find a device that does everything everyone in the world wants, exactly how they want it done for the price they want to pay.

The iPad with the smart keyboard is likely going to be good enough for most people as an on the go laptop replacement. I wouldn't want it to be my only computer though. There are some things that I simply want a desktop computer with a big screen, lots of memory and lots of disk space.

#15  Deskisamess 08-06-2020, 08:32 AM
Well, yea, if you want a high end word processor with all the bells and whistles, the you probably don't want the iPad. Pages works fine and is good enough for my needs.
WPS Office works very well also, and also offers a spreadsheet and presentation options.

There is also Word, which has full blown options for those who subscribe to Office 365.

There are very few things I can't manage on my iPad Pro. Calibre and Quicken are the main two.

#16  JSWolf 08-06-2020, 09:33 AM
My question, how long will it be before this iMAC is obsolete and no new software will run on it? It's a lot of money to spend on a computer that you know will eventually become obsolete because the processor is Intel.

#17  pazos 08-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Quote JSWolf
My question, how long will it be before this iMAC is obsolete and no new software will run on it? It's a lot of money to spend on a computer that you know will eventually become obsolete because the processor is Intel.
Probably a few years. But hey, it's Apple, who knows?

In the last 20 years they moved from PPC-only binaries to "universal" PPC/x86 binaries, to x86_64-only. And now again to "universal" x86_64/arm binaries.

There are no limitations in place to restrict builds for arm only, so I guess it will depend on when they decide to kill x86_64 entirely as they recently did with x86.

People that want to run legacy software should avoid macOS entirely and stick with Windows or Linux, where is still possible to run software from the 90's.

#18  JSWolf 08-06-2020, 12:05 PM
Quote pazos
Probably a few years. But hey, it's Apple, who knows?

In the last 20 years they moved from PPC-only binaries to "universal" PPC/x86 binaries, to x86_64-only. And now again to "universal" x86_64/arm binaries.

There are no limitations in place to restrict builds for arm only, so I guess it will depend on when they decide to kill x86_64 entirely as they recently did with x86.

People that want to run legacy software should avoid macOS entirely and stick with Windows or Linux, where is still possible to run software from the 90's.
I do think there was no need for OSX to go 64-bit only. It just means that newer software won't run on older computers. And it also means older software that's nt getting a 64-bit upgrade won't run on newer computers.

Apple sometimes makes some really stupid decisions.

#19  pwalker8 08-06-2020, 05:17 PM
Quote JSWolf
Well, my 27 inch 2015 iMac has no problem running any software I've tried on it, including the most recent Apple App Suite and developer's software as well as some fairly obscure weather station software. Given how many intel Macs there are out there, I predict its going to be a very long time before software doesn't run because the processor is Intel. Even when Apple no longer officially supports it, it's likely that you can run your existing software as long as the machine still boots. I've got a 2010 mac mini that runs Catalina, the old version of iTunes and I can connect to the iTunes store with no problem.

#20  kyteflyer 08-08-2020, 02:41 PM
I’m happy to use my iPad for photo processing, I use a few different apps and Photos is not one of them... it just isnt good enough. RAW Power, Affinity and snapseed do me most of the time, depending on what I am doing with the photo. I never print anymore.

I have a 2012 Mini which I have no plans to be rid of, but I do need to get a faster drive in, a 1TB SSD should be adequate... at least thats an option for that model. No user updating on the most recent, I understand... and my 2010 polycarbonate macbook still works as intended. Might replace the DVD drive with storage, I never use the drive at all. I’ve already replaced the battery, added 8GB RAM, and installed an SSD and it flies (by comparison with how it came to me.)

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register