Mobileread
eReader is first to the iPhone!
#1  adfleisher 07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Just downloaded the eReader software from the iTunes application store and am already reading a book from my bookshelf as I write this. Access to your bookshelf is easy, and book downloads are snappy (at least over wifi).

It's nice to finally have access to some of these older titles I purchased back in my early ebook reading days with my palm, as I don't do windows anymore and have gotten used to reading on the go with my Kindle.

Only downside (and I know it has been a constant gripe since the PeanutPress days) is the need to input credit card info to unlock the book even though I have logged into my account within the app already. Oh well.

#2  Jack B Nimble 07-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Sounds like it would be fitting if you were the first to add 'iPhone' to your list of reading devices in your profile.

Two questions:
Thanks for the info!
Jack

#3  TadW 07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Also see here:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26225

I'd love to see some screenshots of this thing!

#4  robinson 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes, please... screen shots, plus comparisons vs. Palm version-- what's missing, what's new and improved!

#5  pilotbob 07-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Quote adfleisher
Just downloaded the eReader software from the iTunes application store and am already reading a book from my bookshelf as I write this. Access to your bookshelf is easy, and book downloads are snappy (at least over wifi).
How did you get the 2.0 firmware to be able to do this? Are you using an iPhone or iPod Touch?

BOb

#6  HarryT 07-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Must be an iPhone. The 2.0 firmware hasn't yet been released for the Touch.

#7  DaleDe 07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Quote HarryT
Must be an iPhone. The 2.0 firmware hasn't yet been released for the Touch.
And the title of the thread is a clue.

Dale

#8  MickeyC 07-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I picked up an iPhone Friday and downloaded the eReader software before I was out of the mall. It comes with two free books and I browsed through them at the bar where my wife and I stopped for dinner and a DRINK (You wait in line two hours, you deserve a drink).

Anyway, book reading on the iPhone seems fine. Obviously not as good as the the Sony or Kindle since this isn't a dedicated eBook, eInk device and you have to deal with the energy sucking backlight. But it is every bit as good as my iPaq.

What I like most about being able to read on the iPhone is that, although I may not have my Sony with me at all times, I always have my cell phone at hand. Thus, I'll always be able to read something.

PS: I did have my Sony with me in the iPhone line which made the two hours a lot easier to endure. Now, if Apple had just been handing out beer....

#9  zelda_pinwheel 07-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Quote DaleDe
And the title of the thread is a clue.

Dale

Quote cassidym
I picked up an iPhone Friday and downloaded the eReader software before I was out of the mall. It comes with two free books and I browsed through them at the bar where my wife and I stopped for dinner and a DRINK (You wait in line two hours, you deserve a drink).

What I like most about being able to read on the iPhone is that, although I may not have my Sony with me at all times, I always have my cell phone at hand. Thus, I'll always be able to read something.
i feel the same way. i read on my telephone already, in the métro for example. it's the last thing i would want to use for a real reading session but it's ok just for an emergency reader, for a 30 minute ride.

#10  Hadrien 07-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Quote zelda_pinwheel
I feel the same way. i read on my telephone already, in the métro for example. it's the last thing i would want to use for a real reading session but it's ok just for an emergency reader, for a 30 minute ride.
I always carry a 6" reader with me, this way I can read my books or the RSS feeds that I carry on it.

I use my cellphone for these other RSS feeds, those that I don't exactly read, but check several times every day to stay updated. My phone is also useful for e-mails, twitter and social networks.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register