Mobileread
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread
#5361  pdurrant 09-09-2020, 03:20 PM
I think you're quite right to resist. There'll be another, better offer along on at least some of those books before you'll ever get around to reading them.

#5362  DrNefario 09-11-2020, 03:20 AM
I took up one of their offers a few months ago. Spend £10 and get £3 credit. I haven't read any of the books yet, and kind of forget that I bought them. (They were all long-standing wishlist items, and it doesn't seem to make much difference that they're now in my library rather than on my wishlist.)

#5363  astrangerhere 09-11-2020, 11:37 AM
I've given over all the book-buying to my wife as she tries to support our local independent bookstores throughout the continuing nightmare of 2020. Chapel Hill has an excellent library that has been lending books almost since the beginning via a drive-through service, and we have one really good book store. We are still buying one or two things from them every week or so just to make sure their lights stay on.

I've gone shopping in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library a few times, but have not purchased any ebooks.

#5364  Camellia 09-15-2020, 02:19 AM
A bit of a shock when I went through the month's Amazon expenses. A book here and a book there doesn't seem like all that much... At least I won't run out of reading material for several lifetimes.

#5365  Tarana 10-09-2020, 11:27 PM
Quote Camellia
A bit of a shock when I went through the month's Amazon expenses. A book here and a book there doesn't seem like all that much... At least I won't run out of reading material for several lifetimes.
I get everything on special, but yes, both the $$ and the numbers do accumulate. I think I have at least 10 years of reading material. It's so easy to accumulate ebooks and audiobooks. Takes so little space.

#5366  ekbell 10-10-2020, 10:29 AM
I put myself on monthly limits for both books and price, and then I blew through the book limit by Oct. 7.

No looking at book sales until Nov. :-(

#5367  issybird 10-10-2020, 11:55 AM
Quote ekbell
No looking at book sales until Nov. :-(
An important part of the battle. When the sale creates the want, then it’s a book you didn’t need. Perhaps consider avoiding sales altogether and just checking prices on your wishlist? Either manually or with a tool such as ereaderiq?

#5368  pdurrant 10-10-2020, 12:38 PM
Now here's a conundrum.

I've bought nine books so far this month! All on wishlist, and all at £0.99 special offer.

So if I spend £6.06 or more on more ebooks by 12th October, I'll get £5 credit to spend before the 11th November.

So that's just over £11 of books for just over £6. Which is a good deal. Especially as there are some offers on books on my wishlist that aren't £0.99 but are still very good.

So do I blow some more budget this month to have budget for next month?

#5369  issybird 10-10-2020, 12:45 PM
Quote pdurrant
Now here's a conundrum.

I've bought nine books so far this month! All on wishlist, and all at £0.99 special offer.

So if I spend £6.06 or more on more ebooks by 12th October, I'll get £5 credit to spend before the 11th November.

So that's just over £11 of books for just over £6. Which is a good deal. Especially as there are some offers on books on my wishlist that aren't £0.99 but are still very good.

So do I blow some more budget this month to have budget for next month?
This one’s easy. You’re already 60% of the way there, you’ll be able to stack the credit with sale prices, and it sounds as if you can hit the target £11 closely and wouldn’t have to go way over the £5 to use the credit unless you were going to anyway. In other words, it’s pretty much a free five quid. Take it, by all means.

#5370  DrNefario 10-10-2020, 02:42 PM
I did a similar deal a few months ago - I think it was spend £10 get £3 - and while I got some good books, I don't think I've read any of them yet. Luckily I am resting my Prime at the moment so am not eligible this time.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (537/540)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register