Mobileread
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread
#5341  astrangerhere 08-14-2020, 12:14 PM
Quote pdurrant
I have decided to stop getting my usual SF and Fantasy magazines, i.e. Analog, Asimov's and F&SF. And the Grantville Gazette. It's a combination of events that have made be decide to stop.

I've missed getting an issue each of Analog & Asimov's, and electronic back issues don't seem to be available. My subscription for F&SF is now up for renewal (£29.99 for the year), as is my Grantville Gazette subscription (£27). Money is a bit tighter than usual just now.

And I have a massive backlog of other SF and Fantasy magazines (Interzone, Galaxy, Lightsource, Fantasy Magazine) that are unread.

And the fact that I prefer novel or even series length stories to short stories.

And the fact that I have over 900 books on my TBR.

It's a bit of a wrench from the completist side of me - I have Analog from January 2003, Asimov's from May 2003, F&SF from January 2002, and Grantville Gazettes from 1 to 88. But I don't think I'll actually miss reading them.
I used to get two newspapers and a handful of periodicals like that. I am down to no newspapers and only take the New Yorker and Lapham's Quarterly now.

#5342  CRussel 08-14-2020, 12:30 PM
Quote Tarana
I started off with the just-in-time and then books in series started disappearing from Amazon. Then publishers. For some I can wait, but I'm working harder to complete series before they suddenly disappear. This is primarily British mystery writers. For instance, Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. I've been reading both Morland and Bill Slider series. No problem with Morland, but all the early Bill Slider books were taken off Amazon US earlier this year. Backlisted? Why would any publisher take off an active series? It's aggravating.
Most likely, the early ones disappeared from the US Kindle stores because the rights to them reverted to the author in the US. But the author has to re-create the eBook and republish it. Some are quick to do this, others are more focused on new books. And, FWIW, all the Bill Slider books are still available in the AmazonUK store. (And they are fairly inexpensive, in most cases.)

#5343  BelleZora 08-24-2020, 06:52 PM
I'm finally in control again of buying special deals. My Oasis is now loaded up with books purchased in 2012-2014. When I feel the urge to browse for deals, I browse my ereader or Calibre instead. I appreciate Paul's suggestion to use 'read a random book' on Calibre. Using that tool, I just finished In the Heat of the Night purchased in 2012. I forgot I owned it. Browsing deals is a slippery slope.

#5344  HLS 08-24-2020, 07:44 PM
Surprisingly I have not purchased much. i actually started to read book I bought a few years back but have not touched yet

#5345  pdurrant 08-25-2020, 04:12 AM
Quote BelleZora
I appreciate Paul's suggestion to use 'read a random book' on Calibre.
Thanks! With a large TBR pile it's impossible to keep track of what one has.

I find the random book choice a pleasing way to 'choose'. I haven't had a pick yet that I didn't want to read. If I did get one, it would be a sign that the book should no longer be in my TBR pile!

#5346  astrangerhere 08-25-2020, 07:16 AM
Quote pdurrant
Thanks! With a large TBR pile it's impossible to keep track of what one has.

I find the random book choice a pleasing way to 'choose'. I haven't had a pick yet that I didn't want to read. If I did get one, it would be a sign that the book should no longer be in my TBR pile!
I like switching Calibre over to the cover view and going shopping in my collection every now and then. I use it to refresh my available reading on my device.

#5347  DrNefario 08-25-2020, 08:31 AM
I probably only have about 10% of my collection in Calibre, because I don't use it for Kindle books, so the randomiser's not much good for me. I could do the same with my google spreadsheet, though.

I haven't bought any books in August, but I don't want to jinx it by mentioning it here. Oops.

In fact I have borrowed every book I've read in August. This is mostly a result of me trying to read my Prime Reading books before my membership ends on Friday, but I decided to borrow another book from my local library system so I could make it a whole calendar month of loaners.

#5348  astrangerhere 08-25-2020, 08:42 AM
Quote DrNefario
I probably only have about 10% of my collection in Calibre, because I don't use it for Kindle books, so the randomiser's not much good for me. I could do the same with my google spreadsheet, though.

I haven't bought any books in August, but I don't want to jinx it by mentioning it here. Oops.

In fact I have borrowed every book I've read in August. This is mostly a result of me trying to read my Prime Reading books before my membership ends on Friday, but I decided to borrow another book from my local library system so I could make it a whole calendar month of loaners.
You aren't concerned about losing your Kindle collection without pulling it down and running it through Calibre?

#5349  pdurrant 08-25-2020, 08:47 AM
I love having all my books in calibre. Mind you, because I've been buying books for a long time, only about 25% of my books are from Amazon

(It's very roughly 25% Amazon, 25% Baen, 25% Fictionwise and 25% all the rest.)

#5350  issybird 08-25-2020, 10:17 AM
Quote astrangerhere
You aren't concerned about losing your Kindle collection without pulling it down and running it through Calibre?
I don’t download my Kobo purchases and very few of my Kindle purchases (only if I really, really want to read it on a Kobo rather than with the Kindle app). In part, I’ve got lazy and I don’t want to spend the time, and in part because I figure those purchases are safe enough. I doubt either one is going down, much less going down without notice, and I’d like to think if there were to be a format change that made them inaccessible, there would be a heads up. If not, I’d cope.

Quote pdurrant
I love having all my books in calibre. Mind you, because I've been buying books for a long time, only about 25% of my books are from Amazon

(It's very roughly 25% Amazon, 25% Baen, 25% Fictionwise and 25% all the rest.)
My ebooks are overwhelmingly Kobo and Kindle, but that’s in part because all my Borders purchases and most of my Sony purchases ended up in Kobo. My next biggest subset is B&N, and all of my Fictionwise books made it there. I can’t hazard a guess about the rest, but it’s a tiny yet broad fraction and with rare exceptions so old at this point that I’ve either read the books or forgotten they’re there. And they’re all in Calibre anyway.

As for the randomizer, I keep a subset of about 250 books on my Aura One and pick from those. I admit my eyes glaze over oft-seen titles and I should probably do a refresh - it’s not as if I don’t have equally compelling reads in the cloud. I have smaller and slightly different collections on my other Kobos. My Mini, for example, which is my beach reader, has lighter fare.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (535/540)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register