Mobileread
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread
#5321  Camellia 08-01-2020, 04:51 AM
"Don't buy any ebooks yet," I told myself when my Kindle arrived. "You have a 3 month trial of Kindle Unlimited, and a 2 month trial of Scribd, besides. You can resist!"

Well, no, I suppose I can't resist at all. I've bought 12 books one week. Two of them were omnibuses. That's ridiculous! I don't read that fast, and my Kindle Unlimited loans are maxed out, anyway!

Somebody, please, confiscate my purse!

#5322  issybird 08-01-2020, 07:08 AM
Quote Camellia
"Don't buy any ebooks yet," I told myself when my Kindle arrived. "You have a 3 month trial of Kindle Unlimited, and a 2 month trial of Scribd, besides. You can resist!"

Well, no, I suppose I can't resist at all. I've bought 12 books one week. Two of them were omnibuses. That's ridiculous! I don't read that fast, and my Kindle Unlimited loans are maxed out, anyway!

Somebody, please, confiscate my purse!
Welcome to the thread!

We’ve all been there. Some of us are still there. :cough:

Here’s a first thought, that I’m sure you’ve had already: there’s really no point at all in buying something that’s not on sale, if you’re not going to read it right away. Put the non-sale books into a wishlist and see what happens. Sometimes what happens is that you don’t want it after all, and that’s good, too!

#5323  BelleZora 08-01-2020, 09:24 PM
I am out of control and need to stop. Back in April I checked Amazon daily deals for the first time in several years. There were three books I wanted to read. I bought them and read them. No problem. But I couldn't stop checking the deals. Since then I've purchased 50 books and have read 26. I can read the remaining 24...if I stop looking for deals. But browsing is so much fun, especially during this pandemic when staying in is not much fun.

Back in the glory days of Kobo coupons, BooksonBoard, Fictionwise, and, of course, Kindle daily deals I had a great time looking for deals and still have a TBR of 831 books. My tastes have changed and many of these books I will never read. The last several years I've purchased books, often at full price, that I read immediately and so did not add to the TBR.

I don't regret the books I have purchased in this latest binge. I've enjoyed many books that I may never have purchased otherwise. But it is time to stop. Help!

#5324  DrNefario 08-02-2020, 04:45 PM
I still check the daily deals as part of my morning routine, but these days I very rarely actually buy anything. I mean, if I really wanted it, it should already be on my wishlist. (I also check the prices of all my wishlist books every day.)

#5325  Loosheesh 08-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Quote DrNefario
(I also check the prices of all my wishlist books every day.)
ereaderiq.com can help with price drops. You list your books and your desired price and the site notifies you when there's a price drop.

#5326  gabby98 08-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Man...i miss this place. I been working from home and it's been very busy (i work with online classes). So i haven't been checking in a much, but i may have to start finding time - got lucky & found lots of good stuff today alone. All free so I guess that means I'm being good

#5327  DNSB 08-02-2020, 08:19 PM
Quote gabby98
Man...i miss this place. I been working from home and it's been very busy (i work with online classes). So i haven't been checking in a much, but i may have to start finding time - got lucky & found lots of good stuff today alone. All free so I guess that means I'm being good
Are you are going to read them in the near future. Quite a few posters have reported having massive number of freebies adding to their TBRs that they have never gotten around to reading.

#5328  pdurrant 08-03-2020, 02:29 AM
On the other side from buying, i.e. reading, I've found calibre's "Pick a random book" feature a wonderful way of choosing which out of my 900+ TBR to read next.

I have so many that making a rational choice of which I most want to read next is impossible. By making a random choice I ensure that I'm not neglecting any part of my TBR.

So far, I haven't got a random pick that I didn't want to read. If that did happen, I've have to consider discarding, which would also reduce my TBR.

For those of us with a large TBR, I highly recommend "Pick a random book" for at least some of your next book choices.

#5329  issybird 08-03-2020, 07:34 AM
Quote BelleZora
I am out of control and need to stop. Back in April I checked Amazon daily deals for the first time in several years. There were three books I wanted to read. I bought them and read them. No problem. But I couldn't stop checking the deals.
Hah. This resonates with me, sadly. It takes very little for me to backslide, even after months of abstemiousness.

Since then I've purchased 50 books and have read 26. I can read the remaining 24...if I stop looking for deals. But browsing is so much fun, especially during this pandemic when staying in is not much fun.
FWIW, can you try to develop the mindset that time spent browsing is time not reading? Yeah, I know, reading time’s not really an issue during a pandemic. How about maintaining a virtual cookie jar of the money not spent on deals resisted? Then you could splurge down the line on something you think is too expensive.

My tastes have changed and many of these books I will never read.
So much this, as they say. I saved a lot of money during the glory days, but I wasted a lot, too. I’ve known for years that I’d be better off going on a full just-in-time purchasing model, but I don’t. However, I am better. I buy fewer books at a higher average price for a lower overall outlay, and I’m trying, without complete success, only to buy books that I’ll read in the near future.

#5330  issybird 08-03-2020, 07:59 AM
Quote pdurrant
On the other side from buying, i.e. reading, I've found calibre's "Pick a random book" feature a wonderful way of choosing which out of my 900+ TBR to read next.

I have so many that making a rational choice of which I most want to read next is impossible. By making a random choice I ensure that I'm not neglecting any part of my TBR.

So far, I haven't got a random pick that I didn't want to read. If that did happen, I've have to consider discarding, which would also reduce my TBR.

For those of us with a large TBR, I highly recommend "Pick a random book" for at least some of your next book choices.
I toy with a variation of this. I have about 250 books on my main reader, (I’d like to get that down to 200,) but I also know that I could repopulate my reader with 200 books which are languishing in Calibre and would be just as appealing. So sometimes I think it would be worthwhile to do a grand purge of everything but the most pressing and pick an entirely new slate. After a while, I either stop “seeing” what’s on the Kobo or I’ve rejected a title too often for it to be compelling and a fresh start could be fun. I probably won’t go for the big wipe, but even a partial one could be productive.

The alternative would be to load an entirely different library on my H2O, which is my nightstand reader. However, since I prefer to read on my Aura One when I’m in my armchair, that’s not all that appealing. Still, I could pick it up for something different on occasion. I may play with this idea and see how it goes. I’ve already “rated” by TBR list in terms of appeal and why not load the batch that I’ve identified as highest interest?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (533/538)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register