Mobileread
Any e-readers similar to the Kobo Aura One?
#1  Amiieey 08-03-2020, 01:08 PM
I can't buy one that easy since they don't sell them anymore. Any other readers out there that are similar in terms of size, warm light option, etc? I know about the Likebook Mars but was wondering about other similar ones. Bonus if it has a flush screen. Thanks

#2  rcentros 08-03-2020, 08:53 PM
Quote Amiieey
I can't buy one that easy since they don't sell them anymore. Any other readers out there that are similar in terms of size, warm light option, etc? I know about the Likebook Mars but was wondering about other similar ones. Bonus if it has a flush screen. Thanks
The PocketBook InkPad and InkPad Pro are almost the same size and shape. The Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8", new one) is about the same shape, but slightly longer and wider because of its larger bezel. All three have warm light. The InkPad Pro and Nook Glowlight Plus are "waterproof" (or whatever the term is).

In the used market, the Tolino Epos (original model) is a little thicker, a little taller and a little heavier than the Kobo Aura One. It does have warm light, is waterproof and has a flush screen.

Good luck. It seems like this question has been coming up a lot. Some folks must not be enamored with the Forma shape.

#3  ZodWallop 08-04-2020, 08:52 PM
Is there any reason the Kobo Forma isn't the obvious answer? It is the replacement for the ONE.

#4  Sirtel 08-05-2020, 12:49 AM
Quote ZodWallop
Is there any reason the Kobo Forma isn't the obvious answer? It is the replacement for the ONE.
I'd guess the form factor.

#5  rcentros 08-05-2020, 03:17 AM
Quote ZodWallop
Quote Sirtel
There seems to be a few Aura One users recently who want to replace their Aura One with something shaped like it – which leaves out the Forma. I haven't seen a Forma "in the flesh" but the LED placement (along the long edge instead of the short edge) seems to have caused some issues with uneven lighting. (At least in some units.)

#6  ottischwenk 08-05-2020, 04:12 AM
Quote rcentros
There seems to be a few Aura One users recently who want to replace their Aura One with something shaped like it – which leaves out the Forma. I haven't seen a Forma "in the flesh" but the LED placement (along the long edge instead of the short edge) seems to have caused some issues with uneven lighting. (At least in some units.)
There is always unevenness in the lighting, there is hardly any other way.
It only stands out clearly when it appears in the line - not in the page.
With Kobo Forma, Tolino Epos 2, it makes sense to read in landscape format - I read in two columns.

#7  davidfor 08-05-2020, 05:00 AM
Quote Amiieey
Kobo are apparently selling the Aura ONE in some markets. My assumption is that someone found a carton or two in the warehouse. I know they are listed in UK and Spanish stores. But not in the US, Canada or Australia. You could check your local Kobo store or maybe arrange to get one from the countries that do have them.

#8  rcentros 08-05-2020, 02:51 PM
Quote ottischwenk
There is always unevenness in the lighting, there is hardly any other way.
I've got a couple readers that have almost no unevenness but, if a reader does have it, it's a lot more noticeable when it's at the end of every line instead of at the top or bottom of your screen. I don't read in landscape mode.

#9  ZodWallop 08-05-2020, 04:09 PM
Quote Sirtel
Quote rcentros
There seems to be a few Aura One users recently who want to replace their Aura One with something shaped like it – which leaves out the Forma.
I'm aware of those people. But in this thread at least there was no mention. Just someone asking for a replacement for the Aura ONE (is ONE all caps or no?) and being directed to the Pocketbook and Tolino devices with no mention of the Forma, which is the follow-up and has a flush screen.

I haven't seen a Forma "in the flesh" but the LED placement (along the long edge instead of the short edge) seems to have caused some issues with uneven lighting. (At least in some units.)
Yeah, I've seen that. And it's weird. I wonder what the difference is, LEDs on the side vs. top or bottom?

#10  JSWolf 08-05-2020, 04:12 PM
Quote rcentros
The PocketBook InkPad and InkPad Pro are almost the same size and shape. The Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8", new one) is about the same shape, but slightly longer and wider because of its larger bezel. All three have warm light. The InkPad Pro and Nook Glowlight Plus are "waterproof" (or whatever the term is).

In the used market, the Tolino Epos (original model) is a little thicker, a little taller and a little heavier than the Kobo Aura One. It does have warm light, is waterproof and has a flush screen.

Good luck. It seems like this question has been coming up a lot. Some folks must not be enamored with the Forma shape.
The nook is nowhere near the KA1 as the firmware on the nook is atrocious.

The Forma is the KA1 replacement. But if that won't do, go for the Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro if you want as similar to the KA1 as you can get.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register