Mobileread
Flush or recessed screen?
#31  Richwood 04-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Quote Ripplinger
I prefer and will only purchase a recessed screen. I like the having the bezel to hold the reader by, for me it makes it much more comfortable for long reading periods. I also think a recessed screen looks better.

But I also avoid capacitive touch ereaders, so right there flush is out for me. I use my readers outdoors in cold weather, so being able to use it with all thickness of gloves is a must (and no, I'm not about to buy 4 pairs of special gloves or ruin my warm gloves by sewing in the metallic thread in the finger tips).

I also keep my readers in a cover always and don't eat over them using them as a crumb tray, so I've never had a problem with having to clean dust or particles out from under the bezel.
I have readers with both screen types and prefer the recessed screen as less subject to damage if kept in a case with a solid (not origami) style cover as the stiff cover spaced away from the screen should provide best screen protection when closed. For flush screen units both ACDream and Fintie make folio style covers that include a raised bezel cover that gives much of the effect of a recessed screen.

As for units with infrared touch screens the last Kindle with that technology I am aware of was the Kindle Touch with a 167 PPI screen resolution. The Sony readers were all IR I believe with a highest resolution of 212 PPI. Based on response to a plastic pen used as a pointer I believe none of the current Kobo readers have IR screens though the Kobo Mini, Aura H2O original and Aura HD 7" apparently did. All also had screen with resolutions of less than 300 PPI.

#32  haertig 04-05-2020, 06:16 PM
Quote DNSB
Why are you conflating a flush screen with not having bezels around the edge of the screen?
I'm not conflating anything intentionally. Maybe I just don't understand your definition of flush.

To me, flush means a screen that goes edge-to-edge. The front display is one piece of glass. That doesn't mean the displayed image necessarily goes edge-to-edge, just the glass. Thus, the front of the display is the same level all the way across (no recess), because it is one piece of glass. There is no bezel on top of it.

And a recessed screen means to me that the outer perimeter is a bezel, usually plastic, that covers the outer edges of the display screen beneath it. That display screen may or may not go all the way to the edges - that is not inherently obvious because the bezel above it covers that from our view. Because the bezel sits on top of the screen, there is necessarily a slight drop (the thickness of the bezel) to the screen, thus it being called recessed.

#33  John F 04-05-2020, 06:36 PM
Quote Richwood
I have readers with both screen types and prefer the recessed screen as less subject to damage if kept in a case with a solid (not origami) style cover as the stiff cover spaced away from the screen should provide best screen protection when closed. For flush screen units both ACDream and Fintie make folio style covers that include a raised bezel cover that gives much of the effect of a recessed screen.

As for units with infrared touch screens the last Kindle with that technology I am aware of was the Kindle Touch with a 167 PPI screen resolution. The Sony readers were all IR I believe with a highest resolution of 212 PPI. Based on response to a plastic pen used as a pointer I believe none of the current Kobo readers have IR screens though the Kobo Mini, Aura H2O original and Aura HD 7" apparently did. All also had screen with resolutions of less than 300 PPI.
The Kobo Glo HD had an IR touch screen and was 300dpi.

#34  swimon126 04-06-2020, 03:06 AM
I think both have their own major advantage. I have the PW4 and the flush screen makes it really easy to clean/get rid of dust (fingerprints barely noticeable to my eye). I also tried out the Kobo Clara (ordered but returned) and like that the raised bezel makes it easier to hold the left and right edges even though bezel is thin. The flush screen makes this a bit harder. Not a dealbreaker though.

#35  Sirtel 04-06-2020, 05:13 AM
Quote swimon126
I think both have their own major advantage. I have the PW4 and the flush screen makes it really easy to clean/get rid of dust (fingerprints barely noticeable to my eye). I also tried out the Kobo Clara (ordered but returned) and like that the raised bezel makes it easier to hold the left and right edges even though bezel is thin. The flush screen makes this a bit harder. Not a dealbreaker though.
Just curious, why did you decide to keep the PW over the Clara?

#36  swimon126 04-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Quote Sirtel
Just curious, why did you decide to keep the PW over the Clara?
The few Clara's that I ordered back then had persistent issues with light bleeding (I'm blaming streaks of bad luck). After this I decided to give PW a go. The first PW device I received has zero lighting issues, so I decided to keep it. I do want to eventually leave the Amazon ecosystem though, so I've been backing up/converting my books on Calibre.

#37  ZodWallop 04-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Quote swimon126
I do want to eventually leave the Amazon ecosystem though, so I've been backing up/converting my books on Calibre.
That's a good idea whether you are planning on moving away from Amazon or not.

#38  Sirtel 04-06-2020, 12:11 PM
Quote ZodWallop
That's a good idea whether you are planning on moving away from Amazon or not.
Yes, and then there would be no need to stop buying from Amazon altogether. You can just buy from anyone you want. I buy my ebooks from Amazon, Google Play, Kobo, Smashwords and many other places, and read them on whatever ereader I want, Kindle, Nook or Kobo.

#39  Vmurph 05-17-2020, 07:59 PM
Flush screen is a GODSEND to people with pets. Especially cats. I can’t even begin to tell you how easily (and often) cat hairs would get wedged between the bezel and glass screen.

Before the flush screen was released, I spent more time picking cat fur out from the bezel, than I spent actually reading. Oh, and when you try to pick pet fur off the screen or from under the bezel, it causes unintentional page-turns, which only adds to the annoyance.

With flush screens, when a piece of fur appears on my screen, all I have to do is BLOW it off. It flies right off the device. With recessed screens, blowing just resulted in pushing the hair under the bezel.

————
EDIT: This also applies to dust particles, as well.

#40  GlenBarrington 05-18-2020, 01:02 AM
TBH, it isn't something I've concerned myself with. I've had, and enjoyed readers of both types.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (4/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register