Mobileread
Looking for books that combine science and horror
#1  JonL77 07-11-2019, 04:44 AM
Hi

I’m looking for books that deal with science and horror. I’m not sure what it is about it but I love the idea of scientists meddling with something that creates something horrific. Examples of this would be the latest Doom game. Scientists in a sterile controlled environment unleashing literal hell. Another good example would be Event Horizon and the Dead Space games.

I’m looking mainly for science and interesting/thought provoking ideas and concepts rather than ‘pure’ horror.

Would be great to get some recommendations as I think I’ve consumed every other medium (films/games) that deal with this topic.

Thanks
Jon

#2  pwalker8 07-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Quote JonL77
Hi

I’m looking for books that deal with science and horror. I’m not sure what it is about it but I love the idea of scientists meddling with something that creates something horrific. Examples of this would be the latest Doom game. Scientists in a sterile controlled environment unleashing literal hell. Another good example would be Event Horizon and the Dead Space games.

I’m looking mainly for science and interesting/thought provoking ideas and concepts rather than ‘pure’ horror.

Would be great to get some recommendations as I think I’ve consumed every other medium (films/games) that deal with this topic.

Thanks
Jon

Obviously, the book that started this was Frankenstein. Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain was a classic, as was Jurassic Park. There are Doom tie-in books out there.

#3  rkomar 07-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut is about a terrible invention (ice-9) that threatens the Earth. The book is really about human stupidity, though, so the horror is inescapable.

#4  haertig 07-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Alter of Eden, by James Rollins
Pulse, by Jeremy Robinson

These are more Action/Adventure, but they are action/adventure that was caused/preceded by scientists messing with things that they probably shouldn't have been messing with.

#5  curtw 07-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Rick Yancy's The Monstrumologist and sequels.

Recommend the Gene Wolfe story "The HORARS of War."

Both fall into more of the thought-provoking bucket, IMHO.

Recommend avoiding anything and everything by Michael Crichton. He wrote his "scientists" as unethical fiends, which usually ends up driving the plot. Gets real dull real fast.

#6  hildea 07-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Mira Grant: Newsflesh series (triology + a few novelettes, I think), starting with Feed.

A cure for the common cold + a cure for cancer + criminally careless optimism + bad luck = zombies!

#7  JonL77 07-19-2019, 04:16 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. More suggestions welcome ��

#8  FizzyWater 07-19-2019, 11:01 PM
My first thought was "And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts. However, that's merely horrifying. Not Horror, per se.

#9  GeoffR 07-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Blindsight, and its sequel Echopraxia, by Peter Watts.
Blood Music by Greg Bear.

#10  Pajamaman 07-25-2019, 06:15 PM
More the interaction of humans with incomprehensible alien tech. Roadside Picnic, Strugatsky.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register