Mobileread
Firmware Update Kindle firmware 5.12.1
#1  eilon 07-08-2019, 02:56 PM
Here’s what’s new:

Seems that at the moment only for Kindle (10th Generation) Software Updates but I believe it should be available soon for the rest.

#2  93terp 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM
Quote eilon
Seems that at the moment only for Kindle (10th Generation) Software Updates but I believe it should be available soon for the rest.
Nope, just downloaded it for my Voyage.

#3  NiLuJe 07-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Say hello to Stinger, most likely the Oasis 3's little name.

Spoiler alert: it runs on the same hardware than the Oasis 2.

#4  rcentros 07-08-2019, 06:25 PM
That's weird, I just got in my "new" (to me) Paperwhite 2. It was running 5.8.x something and I was going to ask if I should keep it there for possible jail breaking... next thing I know the Paperwhite is updating itself... but to 5.11.2 not 5.12.1. I thought I was safe, figuring the Paperwhite would require a couple steps to move from 5.8.x (I think x equaled 4) to the new firmware.

#5  NiLuJe 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM
@rcentros: There's no longer a notion of "steps" involved since they moved to full images for update packages (a lot of years ago? ).

The only potential left for issues is if there's a bug in their database migration code in some weird edge cases. Which should be pretty moot for an OOB Kindle, since it's mostly empty, so there's nothing much to update in the content db .

(I'm speaking of "update-induced" issues here. Not random, generic FW bugs).

#6  rcentros 07-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Quote NiLuJe
@rcentros: There's no longer a notion of "steps" involved since they moved to full images for update packages (a lot of years ago? ).
I guess because I mostly use old Kindles I'd forgotten about this. I think now I remember reading something about that. (Getting old.)

Quote NiLuJe
The only potential left for issues is if there's a bug in their database migration code in some weird edge cases. Which should be pretty moot for an OOB Kindle, since it's mostly empty, so there's nothing much to update in the content db .

(I'm speaking of "update-induced" issues here. Not random, generic FW bugs).
Okay, thanks. Since I haven't really used the Paperwhite yet, I think I'll just jump straight up to 5.12.1 now. Then I won't know what changed and won't have a reason to whine about it.

#7  WestCactus 07-09-2019, 01:13 AM
Quote eilon
Here’s what’s new:

Any idea what “Before you go” is?

#8  DuckieTigger 07-09-2019, 05:22 AM
Quote WestCactus
Any idea what “Before you go” is?
It is the popup at the end of the book that wants you to rate it.

#9  teija 07-09-2019, 02:19 PM
Quote DuckieTigger
It is the popup at the end of the book that wants you to rate it.
I HATE that feature! Or to clarify, I wish it would let me "turn" the final page to close the book. Feels a bit unsatisfying to not be able to

#10  barryem 07-09-2019, 08:57 PM
If I remember right you can turn off the Before You Go feature in settings. I don't have my Kindle in front of me to check but I'm pretty sure I remember that.

Barry

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register