Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for August 2019 • First Things First: Debuts
#41  Catlady 07-04-2019, 03:50 PM
Quote Bookworm_Girl
I thought about nominating Carrie by Stephen King as something outside my normal comfort zone. I did not know that was his debut novel. As mentioned previously his works scare me too much, but I've seen the movie so at least would know what to expect.
I also considered Carrie; I liked the first few Stephen King novels before souring on him, and have thought it would be fun to revisit Carrie via audiobook one of these days.

#42  CRussel 07-04-2019, 03:51 PM
Heads up -- A Man Called Ove is $0.99 CAD at Amazon Canada and Kobo Canada (~75 cents USD!) as compared to $13 at Amazon US. I have no idea how long this price will last, but if you have interest in the book, I'd take a short trip to Canada!

#43  Victoria 07-04-2019, 04:10 PM
Happy July 4th to our American members!

I’ve had a tough time with this theme. And honestly, several of the nominations sound kinda heavy to me, and /or require more work than I can muster in this heat. So I’m going to lighten up the choices by stealing an idea from CRussel.

I nominate the first Nero Wolfe, Fer-de-Lance. It’s available in my library (overdrive?), and can be had in US kindle for $7.94.
In Kobo it is: $9 Canada; $5 US; and $10.22 Aud.

#44  CRussel 07-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Quote issybird
I've put a hold on this at a few of my libraries. While I prefer to read book club selections because it's more conducive to note-taking, the audiobook will be available to me almost immediately and it seems as if it would be a good listen while swimming, so I may go ahead with that and back it up with the text down the line if called for.
It's the reverse for me -- a 22 week hold for the audio book, but "Available Soon" for the eBook. I put the eBook on hold.

#45  Dazrin 07-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Quote CRussel
Heads up -- A Man Called Ove is $0.99 CAD at Amazon Canada and Kobo Canada (~75 cents USD!) as compared to $13 at Amazon US. I have no idea how long this price will last, but if you have interest in the book, I'd take a short trip to Canada!
I'm going to be in Banff for a few days here soon, hopefully the price stays. There are a few other books I need to grab while I'm up there too.

#46  CRussel 07-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Quote Victoria

I’ve had a tough time with this theme. And honestly, most of the nominations sound kinda heavy to me, and /or require more work than I can muster in this heat. So I’m going to lighten up the choices by stealing an idea from CRussel.

I nominate the first Nero Wolfe, Fer-de-Lance. It’s available in my library (overdrive?), and can be had in US kindle for $7.94.
In my library too, available now, and the audio book, narrated by Michael Pritchard (one of my favourites) has only a 2 week wait (and is no longer available from Audible at all.) OK, I'll second it. It's a short read (~300 pages).

(Note: the US Kindle price is actually $4.99. You're seeing an artifact of how they've changed their US pricing for Canadian customers. Annoying!)

#47  Bookworm_Girl 07-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Quote issybird
I've come close to nominating this other months when it could fit, so I shall be watching this with interest, also.

Enjoy a well-earned vacation!
Thanks! I've thought about nominating this book in the past too but held back because I thought maybe others had read it. Someday I intend to read it!

#48  issybird 07-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Quote Dazrin
I'm going to be in Banff for a few days here soon, hopefully the price stays. There are a few other books I need to grab while I'm up there too.
Oh, lucky you! I visited the Canadian Rockies, including Banff, once and I'd love to go back. So gorgeous!

#49  issybird 07-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Quote Victoria

I’ve had a tough time with this theme. And honestly, several of the nominations sound kinda heavy to me, and /or require more work than I can muster in this heat. So I’m going to lighten up the choices by stealing an idea from CRussel.

Thank you!

And I admit, I'm a sucker for books set in New York.

#50  Victoria 07-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Quote issybird
And I admit, I'm a sucker for books set in New York.
Me too - I love New York!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (5/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register