Mobileread
Thinner is not always better
#1  crossi 06-18-2019, 11:43 AM
It seems they keep trying to make devices thinner. I don't much see the point. If it is laying on a table who cares if the thickness is 1/4 inch or 1/8th? Doesn't make a difference in the pocket it can fit in either, that's just a function of screen size. In general I would prefer a bit more thickness because it simply is easier to grip. Holding small items for long periods causes hand fatigue. I wish they would consider this even if it leaves a lot of empty space inside the device.

#2  Sirtel 06-18-2019, 11:47 AM
Quote crossi
It seems they keep trying to make devices thinner. I don't much see the point. If it is laying on a table who cares if the thickness is 1/4 inch or 1/8th? Doesn't make a difference in the pocket it can fit in either, that's just a function of screen size. In general I would prefer a bit more thickness because it simply is easier to grip. Holding small items for long periods causes hand fatigue. I wish they would consider this even if it leaves a lot of empty space inside the device.
For me it's not so much the thinness, but the tiny bezels. There's no need for a fat top bezel, but the rest of them should be comfortable to grip. I don't balance my readers on my palm like I do with my phone, I hold them by the edge (bottom or side bezel). So the nonexistent bezels are a no-no for me.

#3  theducks 06-18-2019, 11:49 AM
I hold mine. Thin, smaller, almost no bezel makes it hard to grip (and I don't have arthritic hands; yet) without touching the screen. I have resorted to adding a case, which adds all that WEIGHT they removed for the sake of sales hype

#4  leebase 06-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Counter point: one can always add a case to a device to add thickness (and protection). As devices thick or thin most often need a case (for those of us without infinite money), starting out thick already means the end result is thicker still.

Thinner devices mean a larger screen is still "one hand usable".

There are better and worse ergonomics in devices whether they are thin or thick.

I recently found my original iPad in a closet. I now use the new iPad Mini. OMG. The original iPad feels like a brick in comparison. I never thought so when I first got it (and I preOrdered the day people first could).

I have thought "I'd rather have more battery than thinness", but I've never thought a device was "too thin". One can add a battery case...but you can't make an originally thick device thin.

#5  Barbara1955 06-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Quote Sirtel
For me it's not so much the thinness, but the tiny bezels. There's no need for a fat top bezel, but the rest of them should be comfortable to grip. I don't balance my readers on my palm like I do with my phone, I hold them by the edge (bottom or side bezel). So the nonexistent bezels are a no-no for me.
huh? Lot of people read in Landscape... & 1 handed then bigger bezel makes it easy to hold.

#6  LucyOne 06-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Ergonomics are very important for me, so I agree with that. A thicker device with rounded edges and not too narrow bezels is perfect. For example, the latest Kindle Paperwhite has these properties and is really easy to hold. However, when I am at home I hardly ever hold my devices, because I have repetitive strain injuries in my hands. So I always use some kind of stand or a "Book Seat". When I am on the bus, I always use my devices in their case, which makes them thicker automatically. On longer commutes, on the train, I take the devices out of their case for less weight and use them with a hand strap.
But I never understood why Sony produces devices with such sharp edges and pointy corners! That's the opposite of ergonomics.

#7  Sirtel 06-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Quote Barbara1955
huh? Lot of people read in Landscape... & 1 handed then bigger bezel makes it easy to hold.
Yes, that's what I meant. The bezels should not be too small.

#8  j.p.s 06-18-2019, 12:22 PM
A device with a 6" screen could be a bit thicker than currently typical, without bezels, and with rocker page turn buttons on the sides. That would be very pocketable and have room for a decent battery.

#9  Sirtel 06-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Quote j.p.s
A device with a 6" screen could be a bit thicker than currently typical, without bezels, and with rocker page turn buttons on the sides. That would be very pocketable and have room for a decent battery.
How do you hold it if it has no bezels? On the palm? Well, good for you, but I have too small hands to hold a 6'' device that way. I need those bezels.

#10  ZodWallop 06-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Quote Sirtel
For me it's not so much the thinness, but the tiny bezels. There's no need for a fat top bezel, but the rest of them should be comfortable to grip.
And yet the Nook Glowlight 3 still gets ragged on due to its bezels on this very board.

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register