Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for January 2019 • Lost in Translation: Other Tongues
#41  gmw 12-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Quote Bookpossum
I would like to nominate The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. [...]
I second The Leopard.

#42  gmw 12-03-2018, 10:20 PM
Quote issybird
I wanted to nominate one of Simenon's romans durs that I've yet to read and had a hard time settling on one. I've decided on The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By by Georges Simenon, (Siân Reynolds, tr.), [...]
I second The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By.

#43  Bookpossum 12-04-2018, 08:03 AM
I shall use my last vote to third Alone in Berlin/Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada.

It sounds very good and there would be plenty to discuss.

#44  issybird 12-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Quote astrangerhere
Since this was my theme and I was definitely aiming for non-anglocentric authors, I will nominate Kitchen by the Japanese author Banana Yoshimoto.
I was checking my OverDrive libraries for this and one has it. In Spanish! Surely that would count for a twofer? Not for me, alas. Minor rant: The book cover had the author's name and Kitchen. But when I tried to check it out, I got a warning telling me the book was in Spanish and asking if I still wanted it, which was helpful. But why isn't it called La Cocina?

#45  stuartjmz 12-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Quote astrangerhere
Since this was my theme and I was definitely aiming for non-anglocentric authors,
My apologies for missing your intent - had I parsed it correctly I could have nominated something that fitted better. Are poetry anthologies eligible for nomination?

#46  issybird 12-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Quote stuartjmz
My apologies for missing your intent - had I parsed it correctly I could have nominated something that fitted better. Are poetry anthologies eligible for nomination?
Not to worry. As posted above, people are free to interpret themes as they will and the ideal theme admits the possibility of lateral thinking. Yours is not the only English-language nomination and it was obviously popular.

Anything is eligible; have at it. Things to consider are availability, price, length and general appeal.

#47  gmw 12-04-2018, 09:56 AM
Quote stuartjmz
Don't panic. The themes can be interpreted as the nominator pleases. (My suggested theme - Out of this world - originally aimed at sci-fi, but only received two unambiguously sci-fi nominations. Whereas the school theme ended up voting in book that was arguably sci-fi, so go figure. )

I don't think there are limits on the type of book you can nominate, other than the general expectation that it will be available and appreciable on an e-ink ereader. This counts out a book I really want to nominate - a picture book, The Arrival by Shaun Tan - but poetry should be fine.

ETA: Oh, issybird beat me to it. Oh well, leaving it here anyway.

#48  stuartjmz 12-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Thank you issybird!

This nomination is close to my heart, because I was ecstatic when I discovered that it even existed. Hindi and Urdu are/were a digraphia, but despite their closeness, Urdu was long revered as the more poetic of the two. For me, Urdu's nastaliq is insanely gorgeous, the most beautiful script I know of, but I can't read a single letter. So discovering an anthology of Urdu poetry in devanagari (which I can read), with both Roman transliteration and English translation, was a joy. To share that joy, I nominate Celebrating the Best in Urdu Poetry

#49  issybird 12-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Quote stuartjmz
Thank you issybird!

This nomination is close to my heart, because I was ecstatic when I discovered that it even existed. Hindi and Urdu are/were a digraphia, but despite their closeness, Urdu was long revered as the more poetic of the two. For me, Urdu's nastaliq is insanely gorgeous, the most beautiful script I know of, but I can't read a single letter. So discovering an anthology of Urdu poetry in devanagari (which I can read), with both Roman transliteration and English translation, was a joy. To share that joy, I nominate Celebrating the Best in Urdu Poetry
Very intriguing; thank you. For me, discovery is a huge part of the nomination process.

I did a little rooting around and it seems to be the various Amazons only with the exception of Kobo India, where it's only about US$3.

#50  issybird 12-04-2018, 01:38 PM
I'm going to third The Leopard.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (5/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register