image »
image »

image »
(Omnibus Editions - See Contents Here)

image »
image »

image »
image »

This thread is dedicated to all things Jim Butcher.

What started as a "fan page" for The Dresden Files, has morphed to encompass any body of work produced by Mr. Butcher.

When posting about his novels, I will ask that any spoiler-like statements be placed in tags, as there are some who may be new to the various series. It would also be nice (although by no means mandatory) to include the name of said series, and the title or book number in the title portion of your post, so that we know to which work you are referring.

Thanks and have fun!

From The Dresden Files:
Here are the 7 laws by which Harry & all wizards should/must live.
Here is a list of the main novels, to date, in the Dresden Files series.
Here is list with the novels and all of the short/bonus stories available, to date, in chronological order.

All Butcher books published to date. (Feb. 2014)

A special THANK YOU to Alansplace who has provided all of the book cover images, the thread logo, and the series title images in this post! I don't know what we would do without you!!

#2  Nyssa 09-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Harry Dresden is a down on his luck private investigating wizard! The only "real" wizard in Chicago, Ill. That fact alone usually leads him to trouble, if trouble doesn't find him first.

After reading the first 2 books, I find that I really like the "endless possibilities" feeling of the series, you're never sure just waht kind of supernatural being is going to pop up next. I mean who knew there were multiple flavors of werewolves!?!

I really like Harry (of course), although I find him to be quite frustrating at times. He's so stubborn about some things, and communication is definitely not his strong suit.

Karrin Murphy pisses me off makes me mad. She's just so...so... aarg!

I find "Bob" the disembodied something-thousand year old spirit, to be amusing.

Plus, I'm very curious to see how the whole frienemy thing works out with "Gentleman" Johnny Marcone.

#3  AkumaTakeshi 09-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Nice thread, I've been thinking in starting to read this series, because of that I went to see how the TV series were and I'm hooked.

The only problem is that I think they only made one season and I don't even know if it has something to do with the books or not. Maybe each episode it's just a snippet from one of the books.

#4  Nyssa 09-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Quote AkumaTakeshi
Nice thread, I've been thinking in starting to read this series, because of that I went to see how the series were and I'm hooked.

The only problem is that I think they only made one season and I don't even know if it has something to do with the books or not. Maybe each episode it's just a snippet from one of the books.
Thank you.

According to alansplace (our resident Dresden File aficionado ) the TV series has very little to do with books. It is more "inspired by". He did say, in a response to a post I made about Fool Moon, that:

Quote alansplace
if you view the tv episode titled hair of the dog you'll see just how very loosely-based the tv series is concerning the books, basically just a couple of characters and their affiliation with the fbi and no spoiler in either direction.

#5  alansplace 09-16-2011, 11:44 PM
great idea, i'll be hanging around, hmmmm.....maybe i'll re-read the series and re-watch the tv series. yep, that's what i'll do.

#6  alansplace 09-17-2011, 12:10 AM
here are the first two books' cover art - more soon

storm front & fool moon
Dresdenrainynight.jpg fool_moon_web.jpg 

#7  carld 09-17-2011, 12:11 AM
I had a 6 hour car trip today. I borrowed the Storm Front audio book from the library, a couple weeks ago, burned it to CD (allowed by library) and listened to the first 3 discs in the car. Even though I've already read the book, I really enjoyed the audiobook as well. I was surprised that there were some things I just didn't notice or remember in the book that cropped up in the audio version.

I think the TV series would have been better if they'd stuck closer to the books, but they probably just couldn't tell the same stories in the time allotted. I thought Terrance Man as the human-form version of Bob-the-skull was terrific.

#8  alansplace 09-17-2011, 12:31 AM
and 4 more

grave peril - summer knight - death masks - blood rites
graveperil.jpg Summer_Knight.jpg death-masks.jpg blood_rites.jpg 

#9  alansplace 09-17-2011, 12:37 AM
....and 10 more

dead beat - proven guilty - white knight - small favor - turn coaat - changes - ghost story - side jobs (short story collection) - cold days - skin game
Dead Beat .jpg ProvenGuilty .jpg whitenight_web.jpg Small_Favor_web.jpg turn_coat.jpg Changes.jpg ghost_story.jpg Side_Jobs.jpg CD.jpg 3ff9c8071e226fb4daa47c226c733e16.jpg 

#10  siraks 09-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Karrin Murphy

lol

Next »  Last »  (1/832)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register