Mobileread
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?
#1  Dr. Drib 03-21-2007, 06:31 PM
I want a sense of community!!! (Yes, I'm very needy!)

I'm currently reading my first Hobb book, "Assasin's Apprentice," and I'm loving it.

I just bought the newest bundle of her books, and plan to buy the earlier bundle, and also the other 2 in the immediate series that I'm reading.

Her work is very engaging and thoughtful. The pace is leisurely and thought-provoking, and her characters seem real: they reflect and think.

I highly recommend the book I'm reading. From what I've read about the other 8 titles in the overall series, she is not to be missed!

So let's talk about BOOKS!!!!!

Don

#2  NatCh 03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm reading Weber's Hell Hath No Fury at the moment, and I plan to read his In Fury Born next (I've read the 'original' version, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he did with it). I always recommend anything by Weber.

#3  Robert Marquard 03-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Luckily the HHNF CD contains all Honor Harrington books :-)
I currently read books from the Project Gutenberg Science Fiction CD (see http://www.gutenberg.org). No wonder because i built that CD myself.
I already contemplate an update for the CD. The SF book classics are coming in from Distributed Proofreaders like crazy.

#4  astra 03-22-2007, 05:27 AM
I have read the first 2 trilogies by Hobb. One of the best fantasy I have read.

I am reading Hearts in Atlantis by Stepehn King at the moment.
I thought it might be interesting to read Salem's Lot (I finished it a few days ago) and Hearts in Atlantis before I read the last book in The Dark Tower series.

#5  Dave Berk 03-22-2007, 05:55 AM
Robin Hob work is great, I love it too. I'm currently reading Lies of Locke Lamora, but I find it hard to get into.

#6  Bob Russell 03-22-2007, 06:10 AM
I'm reading Failure Is Not an Option

The thrilling story of NASA's Mission Control teams that guided the "Apollo" spacecraft through successful lunar landings is recounted by "Apollo 13" flight director Gene Kranz. Published on the 30th anniversary of the "Apollo 13" mission.

Also the the first Honor Harrington book, and Pilgrims Progress.

My progress on all three is very slow as I haven't actually spent much time reading recently. I really look forward to getting back to reading more.

#7  nekokami 03-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Well... actually I'm reading in paper at the moment. I'm reading Issola by Steven Brust. I highly recommend his Vlad Taltos series (Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla, etc.) They are fantasy, the characters are nicely convoluted, they are funny (except Teckla, which was gloomier in tone than the others), and I've really been enjoying them. But, sadly, they are not available in "official" ebook format (or even unofficial, except for the first few). All of which underscores what I still think is the main limitation of ebooks: variety.

Now that I have my iLiad, I'm setting up my eBookwise 1150 to loan to a friend who's about to go on a week of vacation, so she won't have to carry so many books. I'm loading it up with books we've been talking about during our morning and evening commutes together. I think she's becoming a convert to the digital way.

#8  NatCh 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I've looked at Brust's books in the store a few times, but I haven't quite made the plunge on them -- not had long enough without publications with my "approved" authors (the ones I know I like), I s'pose. Your recommendation makes it a bit more likely that I'll give him a shot, neko.

#9  mdbenoit 03-22-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm reading an advance reading copy of J. C. Hall's Lady of the Lakes (Fantasy). And if I can make a shameless plug, my new alternate reality novel, Synergy, was put up today at fictionwise (yay!). The ebook is out before the paper book. I like it.

#10  yvanleterrible 03-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Still in Asimov's 'Foundation' 15book series. Looking forward to CJ Cherryh's 'Company Wars'.

Next »  Last »  (1/2847)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register