Mobileread
Bought fake iPod Nano on Ebay
#11  Moonraker 03-05-2007, 03:37 AM
If you import your own audiobook CD's they will not be recognised as itunes audio books, just as a normal CD. However you can convert them to being audiobooks with all the advantages of them.

Click here for instructions
A very interesting read -- thank you.

It does entail a lot of work though and conversion to a non mp3 format. Why does Apple have to make things so unneccessarily complicated?

The article just confirmed another reason why I hate iTunes.

I have listened to some Audible audio books and to me they sound too thin as if the sound is coming out of a tin can.

A simple drag and drop player does not need special tags and will play hundreds of files according to filename order.

#12  Azayzel 03-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Quote micro
The audiobooks on the ipod are tagged as such. This means they have a bookmark feature as well as speed settings etc.

If you import your own audiobook CD's they will not be recognised as itunes audio books, just as a normal CD. However you can convert them to being audiobooks with all the advantages of them.

Click here for instructions

I think there is a simpler way with applescripts but it escapes my monday morning brain for now.

Of course, this is an iTunes thing, and will not apply to fake ipods etc etc etc.

micro
Definitely, thank you for the info! You don't know how many times I had to physically write down the track & position of my place in an audiobook before switching to something else on my iPod. It sucks that the iPod isn't smart enough to read the MP3 tag and see the MP3 should be treated as an audiobook. Stupid iPod, can't you read?! Lol, thanks again; also one quick question... how long does it take to re-encode, say a 9-hour audiobook to the AAC-format?

Cheers!

#13  Leaping Gnome 03-05-2007, 02:24 PM
That's like asking how long it takes to drive from NYC to LA - it depends on how fast you go!

It shouldn't be too long, you can convert an hour of MP3s to AAC in... say, 5 minutes depending on your machine, so 9 hours should be around 45 minutes or so, depending on your machine.

#14  NatCh 03-05-2007, 03:59 PM
If you just need to convert MP3s to AAC, you might try Audacity. I haven't tried such a conversion with it, but I know it will do them. It has been extremely usable for what I've used it for: converting tapes to CDs.

It may or may not get you any speedier results, but I thought I'd toss it out for the interested. Its price is certainly right.

#15  micro 03-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I think the problem is that audio books under itunes come from audiable, and not from apple. I'm not sure but I think the bookmark is contained within the file itself, hence the need for the .m4b instead of m4a.

If you are a mac user there are some applescripts to do the magic for you.

But, it appears that in at least newer versions of iTunes (I'm using 7.1 on a mac) there is a checkbox to "Remember Playback Position". Get info on the AAC file (must be AAC, not MP3) and then go into "options".

Another useful option is the ability to skip the file while on shuffle. This means you don't get audiobooks mixed up with music, and ensures that you don't accidentally have shuffle active when listening to audiobooks.

Of course I havent tested this under windows, so sorry to those folk. If you try it and it works please post and let everyone know.

micro

#16  micro 03-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Quote NatCh
If you just need to convert MP3s to AAC, you might try Audacity. I haven't tried such a conversion with it, but I know it will do them. It has been extremely usable for what I've used it for: converting tapes to CDs.
The easiest way to do this is and keep it in itunes for use with your ipod is simply to select the tracks and right click on them. Select "Convert Selection to AAC", and then wait

AAC has the added benefit of having a smaller filesize for the same quality (or higher quality for the same filesize).

of course if you don't want them in iTunes then audacity is a good option.

But please remember folks, every time you convert between formats (or within the same format) you WILL loose quality. I'm sure for audio books it doesn't matter much, but some people can and will notice.

micro

#17  spartman 03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
just so you know its almost guaranteed to have less memory than you paid for. I bought 3 4gb ones and they appeared to have 4GB off the bat but it was only a software hack to display a larger size. you could put 2 gbs on but it would only read the first gb. After opening them up they were only 1 gb units.

#18  RWood 03-15-2007, 12:35 PM
I converted some MP3 to AAC for a friend using dbPowerAmp Converter. It was fast and clean and she liked the result. Just another option.

#19  TadW 03-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Since we're talking about fake Apple gadgets already, how about a fake iPhone before the real one gets out?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/18/keepin-it-real-fake-part-xlx-the-ipod-style-mobile-phone-iph/

#20  Lehnbek 04-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Does anyone knows how to get an english manual for the fake Ipod.
They send me one in chinese and don't even manage to set language to english. The price was ok - 59$ - for a 4GB version
TIA Bent
Denmark

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register