Mobileread
Upgrade for Kindle Paperwhite 2?
#1  brennok 08-01-2020, 05:01 PM
I have a feeling the Oasis may be the best or only option, but wanted to double check before I start going down that path.

My PW2 is ready for an upgrade and lately when home I find myself reading more on the iPad unless late at night. I have found I much prefer the larger screen. Also some of the books I read have maps and charts so it is easier to read compared to on my Kindle or Android due to the screen size. I also use Kindle Unlimited so browsing and returning books is so much easier on the iPad. I would love a color E-ink reader but looking over the forums it looks like only one option. The other big need is the ability to sync across Android, IOS, and the ereader. I also like Goodreads sync for marking books I have read.

Some of the features of the Kindle, possibly not available on other readers, is where I am unsure of.

Is the Oasis really the only option for me?

#2  barryem 08-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Unless your Ipad is a Mini it's a lot larger than the Oasis. And even the mini is quite a bit larger. So you might want to consider staying on the Ipad.

I'm the opposite. I like reading on a small screen so I've been reading on my phone for the last year or two. I do have some Paperwhites, both 3rd and 4th generation but my phone is always in my pocket so it's easy to pull it out and start reading. Also I prefer to scroll my text than to turn pages and I can do that with my phone.

Everyone says the screen is harder on our eyes and I've found that to be true unless I rest my eyes for a minute every half hour or so. As long as I do that my eyes are fine. And I can use that minute to think about what I'm reading so there's no loss.

That said, when the right phone with an e-ink screen comes along I'm going to be pretty tempted.

Barry

#3  JSWolf 08-01-2020, 05:38 PM
If you don't mind reading on your iPad, then stick with reading on your iPad.

#4  brennok 08-01-2020, 07:54 PM
Quote barryem
Unless your Ipad is a Mini it's a lot larger than the Oasis. And even the mini is quite a bit larger. So you might want to consider staying on the Ipad.

I'm the opposite. I like reading on a small screen so I've been reading on my phone for the last year or two. I do have some Paperwhites, both 3rd and 4th generation but my phone is always in my pocket so it's easy to pull it out and start reading. Also I prefer to scroll my text than to turn pages and I can do that with my phone.

Everyone says the screen is harder on our eyes and I've found that to be true unless I rest my eyes for a minute every half hour or so. As long as I do that my eyes are fine. And I can use that minute to think about what I'm reading so there's no loss.

That said, when the right phone with an e-ink screen comes along I'm going to be pretty tempted.

Barry
Yeah it is an iPad Air so definitely bigger. The eyes is one of the reason I keep looking to upgrade. I notice it more when closer to going to bed and will even switch to the Kindle then just to relax my eyes a bit.

I know I won't find an E-reader the size, but was hoping the 7" would at least be a bit of an improvement. My PW2 is also a bit dimmer even at full brightness so I find it more difficult to read in lower light as my age catches up with my eyes.

I read so quick it just feels like I am constantly changing pages on the Kindle. I may need to try the scroll method. I also find with the smaller screen it is easier for me to fall out of what I am reading and be distracted more.

#5  ps67 08-02-2020, 02:51 AM
With Kindle Unlimited there are 2 possibilities: a Kindle with the 7" screen of Oasis or a Android reader with a larger screen (Boox, Boyue) where You can install the Kindle app.

Until now there is no color Eink available with large screen, there is only the 6" Pocketbook Color. There is also the iReader C6 (6") that is sold only in China.

#6  rcentros 08-02-2020, 03:33 PM
Quote brennok
I know I won't find an E-reader the size, but was hoping the 7" would at least be a bit of an improvement...
A 7" screen is significantly larger than a 6" one. Whether the difference in size is enough to make it worth it for you would be up to you to decide. If you live in the U.S. and have a Best Buy nearby (and if they're allowing people inside) you might be able to see and try out an Oasis.

I've attached a picture comparing a 6.8" Kobo Aura HD and a 6" Kobo Aura 2. The Oasis (at 7" instead of 6.8") would be a bit larger in comparison to the PW2.
IMG_20200802_132619.jpg 

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register