Mobileread
Shopping at Sony ebook store for kobo
#1  wrenn1 06-13-2010, 02:41 PM
I have noticed Sony had some ebooks not available at the Kobo store but when I click to buy at the Sonybook store it asks me to download their software.

Does someone know (not tech savvy here) if I loaded a book to Sony software I could transfer it to Calibre and then Kobo reader? TIA

#2  Stinger 06-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure you can. I think the Sony software just uses regular ADE epubs (which is why I've heard people complain about having to install the Sony software even if they already have ADE).

Calibre should be able to manage these epubs, but obviously can't do any conversion due to the ADEPT DRM.

#3  wrenn1 06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Ok, thanks. I think I will wait a bit to see if Kobo will get what I am looking for. I don't trust myself to fix it.

For a couple of books I requested from Kobo they said the publishers in Canada had not approved but I am assuming that if Sony gets approval then Kobo will as well.

Thanks for your help.

#4  leighisme 06-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote wrenn1
For a couple of books I requested from Kobo they said the publishers in Canada had not approved but I am assuming that if Sony gets approval then Kobo will as well.
I wouldn't trust the Sony website on what's available to Canadians. I was looking for a book on Kobo and it wasn't available. Then I checked out Sony (Canadian version) and it had it. So I downloaded the software, which looks a lot like their website. But when I searched for the book I wanted, it now said US only. Waste of time and I had a hell of a time uninstalling the Sony software.

#5  wrenn1 06-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Oh, good to know. Thanks. That makes sense since I have ordered books from Kobo (clicked "buy" and acknowledged that my credit card info was right etc. and pulled out the USB cord to load it and a message came up that the book wasn't available in Canada.

I think Kobo should only list books available here.

I am sooo glad I didn't install the Sony app. Thanks again.

#6  leighisme 06-14-2010, 01:02 AM
You're welcome. I wish Sony would sell ebooks directly from their website (like Kobo). I don't plan on buying from them because of their awful software...

#7  neilmarr 06-14-2010, 03:38 AM
***I wish Sony would sell ebooks directly from their website***

They do, Leigh ... but only to the Chosen Few -- those who happen to live in the USA. As at many of the big online stores, the rest of the world is left out in the cold. Sony will direct you elsewhere (Barnes & Noble, for instance) where you are likely to find that there's a US-only download restriction on the ebook you want. This is a scandal, because this serious restriction is dishonestly withheld from innocent device buyers outside the US.

Good to have your new company, Wren. Best wishes. Neil

#8  Terisa de morgan 06-14-2010, 05:11 AM
No, they don't sell directly from their website. You have to install its software to purchase books.

#9  ficbot 06-14-2010, 08:14 AM
I wanted a certain book by a Canadian author and Kobo/Sony would not sell it to me. Oddly enough, Waterstones UK would, so I bought it there. It was a standard-issue epub and I had no problems working with it. It was just ironic because it was a Canadian author and I had to use a UK store to buy it...

#10  treetotree 06-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Why is it that a book is not available universally? I would think the publisher would want to sell as many books as possible.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register