Mobileread
recommending Kobo eReader?
#1  techie42 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM
This morning my wife asked me if she should pick up a Kobo. I had to stop and think about the extra work that I would need to do to support my wife using a Kobo. Every eBook would need to be 'messed' with to correct the font problem.

I suddenly realized that I could not recommend a Kobo to a non-tech because they would go crazy with the font problem.

#2  Bittybye 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote techie42
This morning my wife asked me if she should pick up a Kobo. I had to stop and think about the extra work that I would need to do to support my wife using a Kobo. Every eBook would need to be 'messed' with to correct the font problem.

I suddenly realized that I could not recommend a Kobo to a non-tech because they would go crazy with the font problem.
To be fair they said they are going to fix the problem, but you're right, I wouldn't recommend the Kobo to anyone until I knew for sure they fixed the font problem.

#3  juiceless 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Really? How many books do you think she'll read before the font problem is fixed? It takes about 30 seconds to fix an ebook...

#4  techie42 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Quote Bittybye
To be fair they said they are going to fix the problem, but you're right, I wouldn't recommend the Kobo to anyone until I knew for sure they fixed the font problem.
I think that it is fair to say. I may also get another kobo for the family after I see how the firmware update goes.

#5  techie42 06-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote juiceless
Really? How many books do you think she'll read before the font problem is fixed? It takes about 30 seconds to fix an ebook...
I can see it now. She would buy a book or two. Then she is very much into using the public libarary. I can foresee her borrowing and downloading 5-10 books on the first day. She will then skim through each one before settling down for a good read.

I hate to be put into a position of breaking the drm on 5-10 books to fix the fonts and meddle with the style sheets.

#6  leighisme 06-10-2010, 04:26 PM
I've only read books on the Kobo through their software (not ADE) and I never had the font issue...

#7  lchen 06-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Books purchased from the KoboBookstore http://www.kobobooks.com do not have the font resize issue.

Epubs from other sources do have the resize issue. (At least until it's fixed in the Firmware)

#8  techie42 06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote lchen
Books purchased from the KoboBookstore http://www.kobobooks.com do not have the font resize issue.

Epubs from other sources do have the resize issue. (At least until it's fixed in the Firmware)
I had problems with both "In Defense of Food" and "A funny thing happened on the way to the future". I bought both of these from the Kobo Bokstore.

#9  ficbot 06-10-2010, 04:51 PM
My mom has had the issue where a book is loaded on but will not show up in the list. I will have to do the SQL database reset hack on it when she returns from vacation. My dad is getting a Kobo for father's day---I suggested the Aluratek Libre but stepmom had an Indigo coupon and did not listen to my advice

#10  wrenn1 06-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Kobo advertised that you would be able to read books other than those purchased from them. It turns out that this is yet another lie told by Kobo.

I have never seen a more inept company.

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register