Mobileread
New Wordperfect Can Save in Epub Format
#1  Richwood 05-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Per a just received email from Corel, the new version of Wordperfect Office 2020 can save files direct to Epub format, handy for many ebook reader owners who are also authors. I am enough of a fossil that I used Wordperfect for years as my primary word processing software.

#2  Quoth 05-05-2020, 10:52 AM
I bet Save As DocX and convert in Calibre works better.
It does on LibreOffice Writer, which had a plugin for years and then since 6.x a built in Epub export. The PDF and HTML export on Libre Office work better than MS Word 2002.

So Corel and WordPerfect still exists! Amazing. I used Wordstar on DOS, but I had to teach Wordperfect on DOS, about the same time most companies here were using MS Word on DOS, Word 1.x on Mac or even Word 2.0 on Windows 3.x.

#3  fjtorres 05-05-2020, 10:55 AM
SoftMaker Office (PC,MAC,LINUX) does it too. Pretty well.
Cheap, too.
But yeah, Calibre is plenty good for most uses.

#4  Dr. Drib 05-05-2020, 02:03 PM
Quote Quoth
I bet Save As DocX and convert in Calibre works better.
It does on LibreOffice Writer, which had a plugin for years and then since 6.x a built in Epub export. The PDF and HTML export on Libre Office work better than MS Word 2002.

So Corel and WordPerfect still exists! Amazing. I used Wordstar on DOS, but I had to teach Wordperfect on DOS, about the same time most companies here were using MS Word on DOS, Word 1.x on Mac or even Word 2.0 on Windows 3.x.

I used Wordstar on CP/M (and also Perfect Writer, the two products bundled together) - all provided free on my Kaypro II. A bit later I bought the 'Fat Mac' in 1984 (or was it '86?) when it first came out. Interestingly, when Microsoft Word was first introduced (for that Macintosh computer and before it became available for the DOS world) I bought that when it became available.

For the past few years, however, I use Scrivener solely for my writing; and then, when the writing is finished, I use Vellum to publish the finished product.

#5  JSWolf 05-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Wordperfect for DOS was a better program then Word for DOS and when Wordperfect for Windows came out, it too was better then Word for Windows. If it wasn't for Microsoft bundling in trail versions of Word, I think Wordperfect would be the top word processor.

#6  Dr. Drib 05-05-2020, 04:39 PM
I think the problem was that the Wordperfect team sat on their respective butts and were late to the game when it came to developing a Windows version.

#7  fjtorres 05-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Quote Dr. Drib
I think the problem was that the Wordperfect team sat on their respective butts and were late to the game when it came to developing a Windows version.
They were too busy porting it to every other OS under the, ahem, sun.
Amiga, Atari, and 20 flavors of Unix got a gui version before Windows. By then corporations had committed to office.

The same happened with WingZ. Once upon a time it was the most feature rich spreadsheet app on Mac and Unix. (And great for graphing. We used it on Sun and IBM.) By the time they got to Windows, Excel matched it and beat it so corporate buyers were like "never mind".

Too many companies held back from Windows betting on OS/2 or the Unixes just as the DRAM cartel was holding RAM sizes hostage. By the time the cartel was called on the carpet NT 3.51 was out and in ascendance.

Timing, timing, timing.

The funny thing is in '89 Gates was begging for Windows support. The very same companies that wanted Windows to fail forced him to boost MS app development for Windows. And then ended up as roadkill.

#8  barryem 05-05-2020, 07:39 PM
My company used Data General mini computers, which is where Word Perfect began. We paid them $60,000 a year for the license for our many terminals and another $80,000 a year for maintenance. They had to run a license renewal program on our computer or the program would stop working at midnight December 31.

Then one year after they'd been so successful on the PC for a few years they told us in November they were no longer supporting the DG. Our license would expire at the end of the year, and it did.

We had one month to buy PC's to replace our terminals, during which time I had to write a terminal emulator that would do the things we needed. We had to buy PC versions of Word Perfect for every PC. I forget how much all that cost but we had several hundred terminals.

We sued Word Perfect and won the suit but we didn't come close to getting what we lost out of them. I forget the details. I wasn't involved in that part of it.

I've had a bitter taste when i think of Word Perfect ever since then. We were their first large customer and we were their biggest customer for years and then they didn't need us anymore.

Barry

#9  rcentros 05-05-2020, 07:40 PM
Quote Dr. Drib
They had a huge disadvantage. Microsoft could develop Word in conjunction with developing the new Windows release – so their office suite was "up and running" when the new Windows came out. WordPerfect had to wait until Windows was released to really begin work on the new version. That's the kind of advantage you get when you have a monopoly, as Gate's and Microsoft have.

Personally I used WordStar for DOS and, for what little time I used a word processor in Windows, I used Lotus WordPro. I still think that was the "cleanest" Windows word processor ever developed. They also had an OS/2 version that I used for a while.

In the Linux world it's almost only Jstar (the WordStar variant of JOE, "Joe's Own Editor"). With Jstar I've ever really left WordStar for DOS.

#10  rcentros 05-05-2020, 07:46 PM
Quote JSWolf
Wordperfect for DOS was a better program then Word for DOS and when Wordperfect for Windows came out, it too was better then Word for Windows. If it wasn't for Microsoft bundling in trail versions of Word, I think Wordperfect would be the top word processor.
Yep. Word for DOS was basically a glorified text editor. In my opinion WordStar was better than WordPerfect because WordPerfect had you leaving the Home keys to go to the Function keys (which was ackward for me), but I'll admit WordPerfect for DOS was "slicker" than WordStar, especially later on when WordStar was on its way out.

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register