Mobileread
French Fried: A Year in Provence with Miss Marple and Gerald Durrell
#1  ChrisDolley 07-06-2010, 06:42 AM
BVC have just released my memoir, French Fried

image »

Animals behaving badly, other people's misfortunes and the most bizarre true crime story ever. French Fried is the unfortunately true account of Chris Dolley’s first eight months in France and has been described as ‘A Year in Provence with Miss Marple and Gerald Durrell.’

Just when Chris and Shelagh think nothing more could possibly go wrong, they discover that Chris’s identity has been stolen and their life savings – all the money from their house sale in England that was going to finance their new life in France – had disappeared. A bank account had been opened in Chris’s name in Spain to take the proceeds.

Then they’re abandoned by the police forces of four countries who all insist the crime belongs in someone else's jurisdiction. The French say it’s an Irish crime as that’s where the money was held. The Irish say it’s French as that’s where all the correspondence came from. The British say it’s nothing to do with them even though forged British passports were used to open the bank account in Spain. And the Spanish are on holiday – and can’t even think about investigating any bank account for at least four weeks.

So Chris has to solve the crime himself. But unlike fictional detectives he has an 80 year-old mother-in-law and an excitable puppy who insist they come along if he's going anywhere interesting - like a stakeout.

Available (DRM-free) in the following formats: PDF, ePub, Kindle, lit, lrf, prc for $3.99 from:

Book View Café

Amazon

Smashwords

#2  Lemurion 07-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Damnit Chris! I may have to actually pay for something at Smashwords!

#3  dadioflex 07-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Edit.

#4  Worldwalker 07-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I just bought it ... and managed to escape BVC with only the book I came for.

That sounds like my life, squared (so far, international identity thieves haven't gotten involved, and I have more reptiles and fewer mammals, plus some fish who don't like going in the water). I'm really looking forward to reading it.

#5  Lemurion 07-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Bought. Read. Liked.

#6  ChrisDolley 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote Lemurion
Bought. Read. Liked.
That was quick!

#7  Lemurion 07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote ChrisDolley
That was quick!
Not really - I bought it at about 11:20 last night - finished by 11:20 this morning.

#8  steph_g 07-08-2010, 02:19 AM
Okay, this is lame - I downloaded the sample from Amazon. It consisted of the cover and copyright page. That's it. Not even a little bit of the first chapter. I'm sure it's not the authors fault, but really?! I'll try smashwords...

#9  ChrisDolley 07-08-2010, 04:16 AM
There are three excerpts up at Book View Café:

The beginning

How not to speak French

and Animals behaving Badly

#10  Worldwalker 07-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I got it from BookView Cafe; I'm pretty sure they had a good preview, but it sounded so cool I just bought it without one.

And this is what the $15-and-up ebook sellers aren't getting: at $3.99, an ebook is an impulse purchase. "Hey, that sounds good, I'll buy it, and if I don't like it, well, I paid more than that yesterday for a bookmark with lizards on it."

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register