Mobileread
New Leaf Run-off Poll for October • The Times They Are a'Changin': Revolution
#1  CRussel 09-10-2020, 06:59 PM
image »

This is the runoff poll to select the book we'll read and discuss in October, 2020.

Note: I won't be voting in this poll unless there is another tie, at which point I'll cast the tiebreaking vote.

We love new participants. We're happy for you to vote, but in the interest of a vibrant conversation, we'd like to request that you not vote unless you plan to join the discussion whatever the selection. So if you haven't posted in a book club thread yet, do please say a quick hello here or in the Welcome thread.

This is a image » poll. Vote for as many books as you'd like.

Questions? FAQs | Guidelines Or just ask!

Choices:

#2  CRussel 09-10-2020, 11:53 PM
OK, I only get to vote if there's a tie, but I admit -- I'm really pulling for Bletchley Park. I've read several books about espionage in WWII, including about Bletchley Park, and I've found every one of them interesting. Probably because what they were doing was interesting, challenging, and use "ordinary" people in extraordinary ways.

#3  gmw 09-11-2020, 12:40 AM
Tut, tut. No trying to sway the electorate.

#4  JSWolf 09-11-2020, 06:12 AM
I'm pushing for Parable of the Sower. Octavia Butler is an excellent author. I cannot say about the other books, but I know tihs one will not be dry and dull.

#5  astrangerhere 09-11-2020, 10:27 AM
I nominated Parable, so of course I am voting for it. I am also voting for it because it is literally the only one of the four books that I have access to. My local library does not carry any of the other three.

#6  Victoria 09-11-2020, 01:56 PM
To be honest, it’s the one book I’m hesitant to read, even though I know it’s both excellent and important. It’s also sounds very timely, in terms of social justice. But I read all the reviews and feel reluctant to delve into the violence and depressive worldview.

(PS: My apologies, I hope I didn’t give the impression I wouldn’t read it, if it’s selected. I’ll just try to skip through the violent scenes, which I’ve done successfully with other books.)

#7  Bookworm_Girl 09-11-2020, 08:44 PM
I need to read some book samples this weekend to decide my votes.

#8  CRussel 09-12-2020, 12:31 AM
Quote Bookworm_Girl
I need to read some book samples this weekend to decide my votes.
Just remember, the polls close Sunday afternoon (Pacific).

#9  CRussel 09-13-2020, 07:41 PM
And the winner is: The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The WWII Codebreaking Centre and the Men and Women Who Worked There, by Sinclair McKay. Should be fun!

#10  astrangerhere 09-13-2020, 08:09 PM
Quote CRussel
And the winner is: The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The WWII Codebreaking Centre and the Men and Women Who Worked There, by Sinclair McKay. Should be fun!
I'll have to sit this one out - this is not available anywhere for me to borrow and my winter budget for books has been signed over to my wife.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register