Mobileread
Original or unique Fantasy Books
#1  Gandulf 09-07-2020, 01:37 PM
Have you read any fantasy books published in the last 10 years or so that you would say are rather unique or original? Books, series etc that have a new form of magic, ability or story.
For me 2 series come to mind, Stormlight archives ( the use of stormlight for their ability and a rather unique world, with odd plants and animals) the other is the Mistborn series ( the use of metals for their abilities)

#2  poohbear_nc 09-07-2020, 02:14 PM
Liz Williams' Detective Inspector Chen series - mixture of magic, religion, eastern cultures, police procedural, and, yes, a shape-shifting tea kettle.

#3  cromag 09-07-2020, 05:15 PM
In the "unique" category, I recently read Spondulix: A Romance of Hoboken, by Paul Di Filippo. Basically, it's a fantasy about the economy, among other things. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Edited to add that I read the Detective Inspector Chen series last year and really enjoyed them.

#4  hobnail 09-07-2020, 06:35 PM
Lost and Found by Orson Scott Card. An enjoyable book regardless of its genre.

#5  WillAdams 09-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Although the first book was published in 1984, Steven Brust's Dragaera books with Vladimir Taltos as protagonist are quite inventive, and his Baron of Magister Valley was just released which is a lot of fun.

#6  JSWolf 09-07-2020, 08:18 PM
I can highly recommend then Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.

#7  ebusinesstutor 09-07-2020, 11:09 PM
Audrey Faye's Ghost Mountain Wolves series. A werewolf fantasy series with the best community re-building focus I have ever seen.

#8  crossi 09-08-2020, 05:45 PM
The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron. Magic works by talking to the spirits in everything. For example, making a wagon move by talking to the wheels and challenging them to race each other, or convincing a locked wooden door that the nails were making it uncomfortable and it would really feel better if it expelled them.

#9  poohbear_nc 09-08-2020, 08:02 PM
Quote JSWolf
I can highly recommend then Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.
Excellent series!

#10  Dazrin 09-09-2020, 01:13 PM
Here are a couple less traditional ones that I really enjoyed:
The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz (a little more than 10 years old but the later books are in this time frame)

For unique magic systems in more traditional fantasy settings:
The Penric and Desdemona series of novellas by Lois McMaster Bujold is also a good read. It is set in the same world as some of her other books but no knowledge of them is needed. (I have no idea if there are spoilers in these though, I just enjoyed them a lot.)
The Paper Magician series by Charlie Holmberg
The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin

And, I'll third the Rivers of London books. Lots of fun.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register