Mobileread
Going for Calibre Server, getting rid of Calibre desktop?
#1  nodje 05-25-2019, 08:30 AM
I want to ask if using only Calibre Server is a viable solution.
In other words, are the possibilities offered by Calibre server web interface iso with what desktop offers?

I've got my main Calibre library on my previous laptop. It's grown big I don't want to move it on each new computer I get, so I thought it was time to put it on a lan facing screen-less server, so that I can actually get to it from any machine.

So far so good, works well. I just can't find how to Merge Book Records on the server. Which is an important one for my usage.

And so it makes me wonder if I can really get rid of desktop or if I'd be better off keeping a dedicated computer to manage the Library with it, and simply sync it with the server (which would mostly serve content but could occasionally be used to add books, if sync works both ways)

How do you guys do this?

#2  theducks 05-25-2019, 11:34 AM
???
The 'big' part of Calibre is usually the Library (folder), not the app.
That 'big' turns into 'Huge' if your Library is Manga
Using a hard wire connection to copy between drives is the fastest, with flas drives being a very slow Write (Rotating or SSD being on the fast end)

Are you compiling your own, because 'server' choices are part of the installed bundle, so I see little 'storage' saving when just using calibre-server.exe from the installed package.

#3  ilovejedd 05-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Can't really get rid of Calibre desktop regardless of whether you use the Calibre GUI or not.

Lack of bulk processing and plugin support makes library management purely via server a no go for me. Dedicated computer for library management plus server (or Dropbox) on other devices is what I use. One-way mirror sync only from Calibre library to Dropbox.

#4  BetterRed 05-25-2019, 07:36 PM
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔️

Except I keep the mirror on a server, principally for backup reasons. I synch my data at end of day, only takes a few minutes.

I occasionally run the version 2 server against the mirror libraries so I can access them indirectly via 3rd party software, changing my usage of those programs to interoperate with the new server isn't worth the effort.

BR

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register