Mobileread
Calibe, Dropbox & Two Computers?
#1  modkindle 10-09-2010, 06:56 PM
I keep my Calibre Library on Dropbox. I just got a new laptop and want to be able to have Calibre on my new computer and my old one and be able to add books from either machine. I tried this 6 months ago and did it wrong. You all were great and helped me fix my library. But at the time I gave up on the two computer installation. Now I really want to try it again.

Would someone please walk me through how to do this?

Here is the post from when I goofed it.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81535

Thank you so much!

#2  gandalf1369 10-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Quote modkindle
I keep my Calibre Library on Dropbox. I just got a new laptop and want to be able to have Calibre on my new computer and my old one and be able to add books from either machine. I tried this 6 months ago and did it wrong. You all were great and helped me fix my library. But at the time I gave up on the two computer installation. Now I really want to try it again.

Would someone please walk me through how to do this?

Here is the post from when I goofed it.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81535

Thank you so much!
I'm currently using calibre on two different computers with Dropbox. All I did was to install Dropbox on both computers, tell both calibre programs that the library to use was "C:\xxxx\My Documents\My Dropbox\Calibre Library (or if you're using Windows 7 then C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Dropbox\Calibre Library).

Works fine for me. Let me know if it works OK for you.

#3  itimpi 10-10-2010, 01:52 AM
The main proviso is that you must not ever have Calibre actually running on both machines simultaneously. This is because each instance would assume it had exclusive access to the metadata.db file while it is running.

Also if you ever do any work on Calibre while offline you must make sure that the changes are synced to Dropbox befor trying to use Calibre on the other machine.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register