Mobileread
Mobigen Why are css media query examples in Amzn Kindle Publishing Guidelines so terrible?
#11  Hitch 06-15-2020, 12:37 AM
Quote rjnagle
Hitch, you asked, What's Kobo, et al, got to to with the price of tea in China?

Hitch, I realize that you have formatted a lot more kindle ebooks than I have, but treatment of images in a smaller display and in a bigger display is a big deal for my ebooks. On smaller e-ink devices, img can only be a block element. On larger displays, images often look much better when floating alongside text. It's discouraging to hear your report that even those hyper-specific aspectratio queries don't always work. Even doing that seemed onerous and hard to maintain.
Yes, but you're overthinking it. If the images work, as a centered block element for smaller devices, they'll be just as usable, just as viable, for larger. We write floating images all the time, and we assume that they'll "not float" for those devices where they can't, the KF7's, for example. And yes, we'll use devices and aspect ratios to give it a "helping hand," but bear in mind, Amazon does change its devices yearly, and they update them and the CSS/coding/firmware ALL the time.

Believe me, I am with you, wanting more-complex books to look/work perfectly and all that, but...I've had to accept that sometimes, I'm just giving into my OCD desire to control everything. That can create a book that doesn't work very well in some circumstances. (For example, I was proud of us when we figured out how to do floating sidebars. Yeah, us! But you know what? They don't work worth a DAMN on smartphones. Yes, we did it--but we shouldn't have done it, no matter what the Client wanted.)

Thanks for your thoughts on this. This gives me things to chew on while revising my template.
You're welcome, of course. Um...lemme think...although I find most of their coding cringe-worthy, Vellum has a huge list of device-specific CSS in their standard CSS sheets. I mean, if you're looking for stuff.

Also, be advised, ironically, much fo the sample CSS that Amazon shows in its manual and HELP pages--typically doesn't actually work. Yep, I know. Weird, but true. I could be misremembering, but IIRC, that blue-background stuff (exemplar) doesn't work on the devices upon which it should. Again, it could be one of their other examples, but over the years, over and over, seriously--their examples don't work. Whacky, I know. I swear that they have guys in KDP Tech that put that stuff in there just to see who catches it and will complain.

Hitch

#12  Quoth 06-15-2020, 06:38 AM
Don't use media queries.
Keep it simple.

#13  Hitch 06-15-2020, 11:19 AM
Quote Quoth
Don't use media queries.
Keep it simple.
Dude.

You're just no fun a'tall, are ya? :-)

To be fair, while that can work for fiction--no MQ's, it's not that easy for non-fiction. Sometimes, working mqs would be nice.

Hitch

#14  Notjohn 06-17-2020, 01:13 PM
Quote Quoth
Don't use media queries.
Keep it simple.
Yeah, that's what I do. (Pace Hitch, most of my books are non-fiction.)

#15  Hitch 06-17-2020, 02:22 PM
Quote Notjohn
Yeah, that's what I do. (Pace Hitch, most of my books are non-fiction.)
Pax, NJ, but those are the ones that need it the most! :-)

Hitch

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register