Mobileread
Multi-cast audiobooks
#11  pwalker8 05-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Quote stumped
what's less impressive is that is going to be an overpriced audible exclusive - until it gets cracked
You think all that talent comes free? $25 for an audiobook is pretty much market is right now. I just bought Stephen Fry's Heroes for $21. There are plenty of discounted audiobooks out there if you want cheap.

Audible was cracked long ago. I always remove the DRM and convert to MP3 for backup purposes.

#12  stumped 05-17-2020, 07:46 AM
it was more the "exclusive " bit that narked me
I hate artists ( however good, whatever type) agreeing to let some mega-corp dictate on what platforms I can see/hear their stuff
For me that's a sell out. I don't care how big the Amazon bribe was, he should have told them where to stick it.

#13  JSWolf 05-17-2020, 08:37 AM
Quote stumped
what's less impressive is that is going to be an overpriced audible exclusive - until it gets cracked
Audible was cracked long ago. I always remove the DRM and convert to MP3 for backup purposes.[/QUOTE]

If you have a subscription to Audible, you can get it for one credit.

Besides, you don't find many audiobooks with such an impressive cast.

And it's not overpriced compared to other audiobooks.

#14  JSWolf 05-17-2020, 08:40 AM
Quote stumped
it was more the "exclusive " bit that narked me
I hate artists ( however good, whatever type) agreeing to let some mega-corp dictate on what platforms I can see/hear their stuff
For me that's a sell out. I don't care how big the Amazon bribe was, he should have told them where to stick it.
You buy an audiobook from Audible that's not labled as exclusive or you buy The Sandman that is labeeld as exclusive. There is no difference at all.

#15  Catlady 05-20-2020, 01:21 PM
Audible's exclusive multicast version of Dracula is terrific. The book's structure makes it perfect for multiple readers.

#16  stumped 05-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Fans of multicast may wish to explore BBC radio plays. Some abridged books get dramatised .

BBC iPlayer, if in UK, otherwise VPN or smart DNS proxy workarounds may be needed.

Get_iplayer freeware enables archiving. I am fine with that, I pay my compulsory licence fee so I figure that entitles me to keep stuff, just as if I'd recorded it from a radio station

#17  stumped 05-20-2020, 02:01 PM
Quote JSWolf
You buy an audiobook from Audible that's not labled as exclusive or you buy The Sandman that is labeeld as exclusive. There is no difference at all.
Audible has very restrictive DRM which stops me listening on the devices that suit me. E.g our Car entertainment system. Or my old portable mp3 player

Compare that to my local library ,funded from my taxes, that will lend me an MP3 copy which works everywhere. But they will not be able to buy sandman to lend to me as Amazon have it monopolised

Or to bygonne days where I could buy an audiobook on CD or cassette tape, which agin worked everwhere. No DRM. And I could resell it, just like a paper book, if I chose to.

If I am expected to Buy it than hack it myself, well sorry, but no. That's a no sale. I will go find an already hacked alternaive

Ps off topic Rant
I lost all respect for Gaiman when he flew from New Zealand to Skye via Los Angeles last week. Breaking several lockdowns Another rich *bleep* who thinks stay at home ethics are only for other people.
If he now infects half of Skye, then a simple sorry will not cut it. Mr Plod has already visited him to explain Scottish law. So if sandman gets widely stolen and given away for free, then he "pulled it in" ( a Scientology phrase he will know well , as an ex staff member cultie ). End Rant
https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=gaiman+skye

#18  JSWolf 05-21-2020, 09:44 AM
Quote Catlady
Audible's exclusive multicast version of Dracula is terrific. The book's structure makes it perfect for multiple readers.
Does the audiobook actually work? I found the book to be dull.

#19  stumped 05-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Quote JSWolf
Does the audiobook actually work? I found the book to be dull.
Can't possibly be as bad as the 2020 BBC TV re-imagining

That's 3 hours of my life wasted

#20  JSWolf 05-21-2020, 09:50 AM
Quote stumped
Audible has very restrictive DRM which stops me listening on the devices that suit me. E.g our Car entertainment system. Or my old portable mp3 player
No aux jack or bluetooth?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register