Mobileread
Kobo standalone? (never want to connect to Kobo, or activate)
#11  BWinmill 03-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Quote The Terminator
There's a good plug-in that will take the crap off the homescreen and activate shelves. You can see what else the plug-in does in the Kobo Touch plug-in interface thread.
Thank-you for that suggestion. The plug-in is a bit rough around the edges, but it is great to see third-party developers getting into the picture.

#12  soulfuldog 03-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Collections on the Kindle aren't actual folders (isn't it just Pocketbook readers that support folders?), but yes it lets you sort your books into your own custom categories (and you can have them in more than one), then you can display your books in these categories instead of just listing all the individual books.

You have to register and connect via wi-fi once to enable collections, I think that's the only 'feature' that's missing. After the initial registration (which can be done with your Kindle containing nothing but the user guide), you don't have to ever buy a book from Amazon, use your account, connect to their servers, etc, etc. Just like the Kobo (and probably any ereader), you don't need to, but there are good reasons for registering, and there's nothing sinister about it.

I know a lot of people value the ease of buying books from Amazon and getting them delivered to their Kindle wirelessly at the click of a button, it's a cool feature. Personally I usually sideload my books, and while I'm not concerned about Amazon having "control over your device, and content" (why on earth would I be?), I rarely turn the wi-fi on.

I know I have some concern with book recommendations and other stuff on the Kobo, but I believe it is possible to turn most of this kind of thing anyway?

#13  mutant_matt 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote l_macd
Collections on the Kindle aren't actual folders (isn't it just Pocketbook readers that support folders?), but yes it lets you sort your books into your own custom categories (and you can have them in more than one), then you can display your books in these categories instead of just listing all the individual books.
Just going on my experience with helping the father-in-law setup his Kindle (using his PC which is running Kubuntu Linux), all I did was connect it up via USB and both transferred some books onto it with a file/folder copy (is that what you guys are calling "sideloading"?), and also, with Calibre (to prove/test both methods). IIRC, I also created a new folder on the Kindle, and moved a book into it (the books came from Guttenberg), and when I disconnected the Kindle from the PC, it restarted, and displayed a "folder" in the home screen, with the book in it. *unless I remember this incorrectly. The Kindle was bought via the web, so I think, came pre-registered...

You have to register and connect via wi-fi once to enable collections
Perhaps collections aren't what I'm thinking of (and hopefully, the above makes it clear what I *am* talking about?

I know a lot of people value the ease of buying books from Amazon and getting them delivered to their Kindle wirelessly at the click of a button, it's a cool feature.
Hard to argue with the ease and simplicity, certainly, and can understand why it helps sells books.

and while I'm not concerned about Amazon having "control over your device, and content" (why on earth would I be?), I rarely turn the wi-fi on.
IMO, because Amazon have demonstrated they can't be trusted with the content you thought was yours when you paid for it (Big Brother being removed from people's devices was one, there was another I forget which), plus the fact that they have control on how many times a title can be re-downloaded, and the fact that you have to rely on the device supporting their DRM, forever. I don't trust anybody like that. (I realise, to some people, that sounds ridiculous (and I also realise there are ways to get rid of the DRM), but, "different strokes..." )

#14  BWinmill 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Quote mutant_matt
IMO, because Amazon have demonstrated they can't be trusted with the content you thought was yours when you paid for it (Big Brother being removed from people's devices was one, there was another I forget which)
Even though the blame can be placed squarely upon Amazon's shoulders in this case for not verifying who held the rights to 1984, they were selling a product illegally and a recall was appropriate.

plus the fact that they have control on how many times a title can be re-downloaded
As far as I can tell, they do not place restrictions on how often you can download a title on a particular device. They may restrict the number of devices that you can download a title to different devices, but I've always been able to get around that by going to their device management tools and removing devices that I no longer use.

and the fact that you have to rely on the device supporting their DRM, forever.
This may be splitting hairs, but Amazon and their servers could self-destruct tomorrow and people would still be able to read their books for as long as their ereader is in working order.

Please don't get me wrong here. I agree that these are significant issues. I disagree with the facts being manipulated to represent a particular view point because other people will recognize the faults and (I'm guessing) will be less likely to support the campaign against DRM.

#15  soulfuldog 03-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote mutant_matt
Just going on my experience with helping the father-in-law setup his Kindle ......<snip full details>...... when I disconnected the Kindle from the PC, it restarted, and displayed a "folder" in the home screen, with the book in it.
Yes that's sideloading, but I think you are remembering incorrectly. The Kindle only displays a text list of books, sorted either by author, title, or collection (unlike the Kobo & PRS-T1 it doesn't display book covers). For the first two, the titles of all your books are listed individually on the home page. If you sort by collection, the titles of your collections is shown, and you click to open a collection to view the books listed in it (just the same way you would do if it was a folder).

You can create a folder on the Kindle and load books into it, but they'll just show up as individual books on the home page, the folder itself is ignored. They won't appear in a collection unless you add them to the collection (either via the Kindle itself or using the Kindle Collection plug-in for Calibre).

So in short, the Kindle doesn't support folders, but if you use collections to sort your books, it tags your books with whatever collection title to you use, and it makes it look as if they are in folders.

The only thing I'll add to what BWinmill has said in reply to your other points is that regarding the removal of those books (Animal Farm & 1984) is that although Amazon refunded the money when they deleted them, they did concede that they handled it badly and in future, if something similar was to happen (i.e. the publisher didn't have the right to publish those books and they shouldn't have been sold in the first place), they wouldn't delete books without asking customers permission first, and if you refused, that'd be the end of it.

Anyway, if you'd prefer to use epub, this is probably all pretty immaterial

Get yourself a Kobo, register it, then just don't the wi-fi on, I assume you can do that?

#16  mutant_matt 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
As far as I can tell, they do not place restrictions on how often you can download a title on a particular device. They may restrict the number of devices that you can download a title to different devices, but I've always been able to get around that by going to their device management tools and removing devices that I no longer use.
I read an article where someone discovered that on a per-title basis, there is a download limit. He also was none-too impressed when Amazon told him that this is set by the publisher, and there was nothing they could do about it. It's these types of not-your-device-really-to-control issues, that really get up my nose!

Quote l_macd
Yes that's sideloading, but I think you are remembering incorrectly. The Kindle only displays a text list of books, sorted either by author, title, or collection (unlike the Kobo & PRS-T1 it doesn't display book covers). For the first two, the titles of all your books are listed individually on the home page. If you sort by collection, the titles of your collections is shown, and you click to open a collection to view the books listed in it (just the same way you would do if it was a folder).

You can create a folder on the Kindle and load books into it, but they'll just show up as individual books on the home page, the folder itself is ignored. They won't appear in a collection unless you add them to the collection (either via the Kindle itself or using the Kindle Collection plug-in for Calibre).

So in short, the Kindle doesn't support folders, but if you use collections to sort your books, it tags your books with whatever collection title to you use, and it makes it look as if they are in folders.
Ok, thanks for that. I am pretty sure I created a folder on the device and then it appeared on the Home screen, but you presumably are correct, that I must have then "moved" the book, using the Kindle interface, "into" that collection.

The only thing I'll add to what BWinmill has said in reply to your other points is that regarding the removal of those books (Animal Farm & 1984) is that although Amazon refunded the money when they deleted them, they did concede that they handled it badly and in future, if something similar was to happen (i.e. the publisher didn't have the right to publish those books and they shouldn't have been sold in the first place), they wouldn't delete books without asking customers permission first, and if you refused, that'd be the end of it.
Except, they *can* do what they like with "your" device, if they so chose, and I don't hand control of devices I paid for, to 3rd parties, wherever possible. I judge individuals, and companies, by how they act, not by what they say. I just don't trust them to protect my best interests (theirs and mine only overlap only a little. IMHO ). That's kind of the point (which is also why I won't buy any Apple products, and others).

Anyway, if you'd prefer to use epub, this is probably all pretty immaterial
Indeed. Of course, now I realise the current lack of "collections" on the Kobo, I'm having second thoughts, so now I'll read up on the plugin stuff, and see if that suits.

Get yourself a Kobo, register it, then just don't the wi-fi on, I assume you can do that?
Apparently so. Also, I think the Linux hacks would be done early on in it's life, and a custon hosts file would "protect" against most of the stuff I would want to keep at bay, just in case!

Thanks for everyone's help and comments, once again,

Cheers,

Matt

#17  ewphoenix123 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM
The newer Firmwareversions have increased the user table, this one works.

INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa','aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa','xxxx@xxxx.xx','xxxx@xxxx.xx','2aaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa==','aaa','FALSE');
And it works on the Aura as well.

#18  david8866 05-02-2013, 04:14 PM
iriver Story HD is another choice. The resolution is on the higher side 1024 x 768 (like Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo). You can use it without registration. Google Play Store is the default bookstore, but you don't have to use it.
iriver does not make new one any more, not official discontinue, either. The dictionary is a pain, otherwise a ok ereader. I don't usually suggest Story HD, it might fit your need.

#19  peyton 03-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Quote ewphoenix123
The newer Firmwareversions have increased the user table, this one works.

And it works on the Aura as well.
Is this still working on 3.20 FW?
Thanks

#20  davidfor 03-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Quote peyton
Is this still working on 3.20 FW?
There are two extra columns in the current user table. The following should work:
Code
INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa','aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa','xxxx@xxxx.xx','xxxx@xxxx.xx','2aaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa==','aaa','FALSE','FALSE','FALSE');
The statement is valid and produces a row in the database that should work. But, I haven't tested what the device does when it sees it.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register