Mobileread
Strikethrough Lines Too Thin in Kepubs
#1  enuddleyarbl 08-12-2022, 02:40 PM
This is sort of a side-post regarding a problem with strikethrough lines in kepubs on Formas. The original thread is:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348482

The problem is that strikethrough lines (and possibly underlines now that I think about it), regardless of how they're produced, are so thin as to be almost invisible. I've tried various ways to tweak the CSS that should change the thickness of those lines, but they don't work. JSWolf confirmed that it was happening on kepubs and not epubs. He also wondered if a patch could be made. So, I popped over here (as a more suitable forum for that) to see if anyone knew if such a patch exists.

Let me include a screenshot of the problem:

image »

and here's a wee epub I threw together to show that:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C19VBRFwCvcoG135wx7M1_fSj7Grzyw7/view?usp=sharing

#2  JSWolf 08-12-2022, 02:46 PM
Quote DaveLessnau
and here's a wee epub I threw together to show that:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C19VBRFwCvcoG135wx7M1_fSj7Grzyw7/view?usp=sharing
Try your ePub as ePub and see what you get.

#3  enuddleyarbl 08-12-2022, 04:14 PM
Quote JSWolf
Try your ePub as ePub and see what you get.
As an epub, the strikethroughs are fine. Only as a kepub do they not work correctly. And, after having viewed that little document of mine as an epub, now I remember why I use kepubs instead of epubs. ugh.

#4  JSWolf 08-12-2022, 05:04 PM
Quote DaveLessnau
As an epub, the strikethroughs are fine. Only as a kepub do they not work correctly. And, after having viewed that little document of mine as an epub, now I remember why I use kepubs instead of epubs. ugh.
What was wrong with your ePub as an ePub? It looks better as an ePub then it does a KePub.

#5  Uncle Robin 08-12-2022, 06:06 PM
Why did you post the same query in different threads?

#6  enuddleyarbl 08-12-2022, 07:00 PM
Assuming I had messed up my css, my original post was in the epub forum as an attempt to track down what was happening. Once JSWolf confirmed it wasn't a css issue in the epub and noted that it was kepub related, I came here to see about some kind of Kobo patch to work around it. I've also got a related thread over in the Calibre Editor forum so Kovid knows about an error that the editor is throwing when it sees the text-decoration-thickness property (which is theoretically supposed to change the thickness of that line).

#7  Quoth 08-13-2022, 07:44 AM
I think the only advantage of kepubs is the image zoom. I prefer epubs. Even the highlight & annotation is ugly on a kepub.

As an aside, the strike thorough is an affectation in a published work. It was used on typewriters in the Victorian era to tell the Typesetter to ignore something, done by BS BS BS BS ---- for a four letter word. Correction fluid made it obsolete.

Similarly underline or /enclose in slashs/ meant typeset in Oblique, Italic or whatever. The *enclose* meant use bold, which is best limited to headings, or maybe also URLs. So only URLs ought to have underlines. Wordprocessors often interpret plain text imports using old typewriter conventions of markup.

#8  JSWolf 08-13-2022, 11:18 AM
Quote Quoth
I think the only advantage of kepubs is the image zoom. I prefer epubs. Even the highlight & annotation is ugly on a kepub.
There is also the popup footnotes and the easier tapping of the footnote if it's tiny.

#9  DNSB 08-13-2022, 12:16 PM
Quote DaveLessnau
I've also got a related thread over in the Calibre Editor forum so Kovid knows about an error that the editor is throwing when it sees the text-decoration-thickness property (which is theoretically supposed to change the thickness of that line).
Is CSS 4 now part of the ePub 3.2 specification? I was under the strong impression that CSS 3 was the supported version.

#10  Quoth 08-13-2022, 01:07 PM
Quote JSWolf
There is also the popup footnotes and the easier tapping of the footnote if it's tiny.
But not always!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register