Mobileread
Kobo customer services
#1  hermano 07-26-2022, 09:40 AM
Hi folks,
Has anyone had dealings with Kobo customer services? I contacted them 3 weeks ago as my Forma was not working properly (page not refreshing, this lots of artifacts from previous pages overlapping).

Went through all options regarding back to factory settings, installing via WiFi and app etc etc....after about 2 hours they agreed fault and said they would replace under warranty (with a refurbished unit). I was told I would receive tracking information regards replacement.

Since then, nothing. I contacted them last week, they apologized and said they would "escalate this". Still nothing.

Just called them again. They said that they can see all previous communications but did not know why nothing sent out yet.... again they promised to "escalate".

Is this normal for Kobo customer services? I find it appalling. I am now having to go on holiday without an ereader....and who knows if and when a replacement will appear.

#2  readologist 07-26-2022, 09:51 AM
Quote hermano
Hi folks,
Has anyone had dealings with Kobo customer services? I contacted them 3 weeks ago as my Forma was not working properly (page not refreshing, this lots of artifacts from previous pages overlapping).

Went through all options regarding back to factory settings, installing via WiFi and app etc etc....after about 2 hours they agreed fault and said they would replace under warranty (with a refurbished unit). I was told I would receive tracking information regards replacement.

Since then, nothing. I contacted them last week, they apologized and said they would "escalate this". Still nothing.

Just called them again. They said that they can see all previous communications but did not know why nothing sent out yet.... again they promised to "escalate".

Is this normal for Kobo customer services? I find it appalling. I am now having to go on holiday without an ereader....and who knows if and when a replacement will appear.
I have had almost the same thing (faulty Libra 2 for freezing, etc). Well within warranty. Said that they would replace followed by a flurry of communications. Emailed me a shipping label and RMA form and then........silence??? Now I don't know if I should send the faulty unit back because I may wind up with nothing. Seems like a chicken/egg kind of thing since their communications do not say I must send old unit back before they send replacement. Actually they imply the reverse.
Just shitty customer service but I have decided to escalate a bit. Informed the Florida State consumer fraud department of the case and may decide on further measures. Their behavior is deceptive - they received my defective unit and then also dead silence. They actually went as far as to tell me that the tracking number for the returned item was the tracking number for their supposed shipment of the new replacement! You'd think that Kobo should be embarassed.

#3  Josieb1 07-26-2022, 02:12 PM
Customer Service for Kobo is appalling. I bought two ereaders and a case last year. I wasn’t happy with either e-reader so I asked for a return. I did get my refund promptly but I still have all three items as they won’t provide any details to return them. They keep saying they can’t arrange a collection because of covid. I’ve given up chasing them now.

#4  Ned 07-26-2022, 02:31 PM
Not my experience at all.

I have rung once (I'm in the UK) on the customer service number I found on Google.
A charming man answered immediately.
I described the problem with my Forma, 1.3/4 years old, the device was frozen on the Connected and Charging screen. No buttons would do anything, including hard reset.
He said it was still within their 2 year guarantee, checked the rough date I bought it and email address I registered with (allowed me a couple of goes as I have loads) to confirm it was on their system and said they would send a replacement refurbished one. 7 to 10 days.

The track and trace system didn't work (its still showing as preparing for dispatch) but a Forma arrived by next day delivery, in a box marked Refurbished.
He wasn't interested in collecting the old one.

So apart from the tracking, their customer service was fine for me

#5  hermano 07-29-2022, 09:46 AM
Cheers folks, and I thought it was just me. 5days after being told for a second time that my situation is being "escalated" and they would get right back to me.... I have hear nothing since. Guess their time scale differs wildly from my expectations.

Maybe next week I may here something?

#6  Dr. Drib 07-29-2022, 10:13 AM
Quote hermano
Cheers folks, and I thought it was just me. 5days after being told for a second time that my situation is being "escalated" and they would get right back to me.... I have hear nothing since. Guess their time scale differs wildly from my expectations.

Maybe next week I may here something?

While you (and I) wait, let me ask you an off-topic question: What kind of tobacco do you put in your pipe?

#7  JSWolf 07-29-2022, 11:16 AM
Quote Dr. Drib
While you (and I) wait, let me ask you an off-topic question: What kind of tobacco do you put in your pipe?
None at all. I do have a Waterford crystal pipe. But it's never been used for smoking.

#8  Cootey 08-04-2022, 08:51 PM
Quote hermano
Hi folks,

I have a love/hate relationship with Kobo CS here in the States. I *generally* have nothing but negative experiences with the online chat, and *generally* nothing but positive experiences with telephone support. Overall, however, I feel Kobo does a good job and ultimately backs their products. Sometimes I have to work hard for results, though. By that I mean that you have to make a pain of yourself with constant follow-ups. Also, they are 🇸*🇱*🇴*🇼*. Be patient. It can take weeks to get things moving along. Also, I suspect they use pack mules to transport their products from Canada to Utah via New York, but I have no evidence to prove that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#9  Uncle Robin 08-04-2022, 11:02 PM
Quote Cootey
I have a love/hate relationship with Kobo CS here in the States. I *generally* have nothing but negative experiences with the online chat, and *generally* nothing but positive experiences with telephone support.
This mirrors my own experience, although I've bought hardware direct from Kobo so my CS enquiries have all been about ebooks and points.

#10  jberd 08-12-2022, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure if Kobo customer service is malicious or inept.
(The people I talk to are nice, but they don't have any control over
anything, they can only take down information that others there are
supposed to do something with.)

I ordered a Kobo Forma on their website, then I tried to immediately
cancel it (the website said that I can do that). The website said that
I hadn't actually placed the order and so I couldn't cancel it. When
I talked to a representative I was told that I never ordered it.

It was sent to me anyhow, although the box had no receipt or order
number. I checked the website, where my order finally showed up,
although it said it my order hadn't shipped yet. I checked my credit
card, and I was billed for it. I've chatted with several
representatives trying to return it (as the website said that I
can), with no luck so far. One representative slipped up and
accidentally sent me some return labels, but I was immediately told
that I couldn't use them, and no new labels have been forthcoming. I think
my return request was actually canceled.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register