Mobileread
MobileRead February 09 book nominations
#81  lilac_jive 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Quote Dr. Drib
...ok...

Now, let me try to "sell" you Prague, by Arthur Phillips. One more vote is needed to put him on the ballot.

He won The Los Angeles Times/Art Seidenbaum Award for Best First Fiction for Prague in 2003.

You may know him if you watched Jeopardy in 1997, as he was a five-time champion then.

A wonderful book by him is The Egyptologist.

Vote for Arthur Phillips, and I'll never assemble again a book on cabbages and cauliflowers. You have been warned....

Don

So now we're at two, and I REALLY want to read it

#82  ShortNCuddlyAm 01-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Quote Dr. Drib
Vote for Arthur Phillips, and I'll never assemble again a book on cabbages and cauliflowers. You have been warned....

Don
That's an incentive NOT to vote for him

#83  desertgrandma 01-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Quote Dr. Drib
Let me emphasize that that was my personal opinion and not as a Moderator. (I apologize for not making that clear.)

...so anyone can certainly feel free to disagree with me.

Don
oh, sure, and the next thing you know, your karma is at a minus level! I've heard all about the powers you "Mods" have.........

Which is another reason "Down and out in the Magic Kingdom should be read......the Karma thing. Awesome, and wish it could be implemented.......

#84  Tattncat 01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Quote Richard Herley
=X= has kindly contacted me to tell me about this thread -- sorry I have been neglecting MR of late, but I have been overwhelmed with work and various other stuff.

In my reply to him I said: "Obviously I can't enforce any payment at all for my ebooks. The usual deal is as you know -- people are asked to pay only if they enjoy them. In the case of the MR reading group, I'll happily waive that condition for anyone who reads Refuge just for the purposes of the group. Who knows, if they like that book they might try the others!"

I won't nominate this book myself, of course, and will come back tomorrow (it's nearly midnight now in England) to read the thread in full and maybe make a nomination myself.
I'll second Refuge. I already have it downloaded and in my Current reading collection.

#85  pilotbob 01-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Quote Tattncat
I'll second Refuge. I already have it downloaded and in my Current reading collection.
Actually, that is a 4th or 5th. It is already on the list. See message 1 in this thread.

BOb

#86  HarryT 01-23-2009, 02:14 AM
Quote desertgrandma
Which is another reason "Down and out in the Magic Kingdom should be read......the Karma thing. Awesome, and wish it could be implemented.......
Isn't it SF? I thought we'd said "no SF or fantasy" for this month?

#87  Curly 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm keen to read Prague -- so I will 'third' it.

#88  Dr. Drib 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Quote Curly
I'm keen to read Prague -- so I will 'third' it.

Thank you!

BOb:
Prague, by Arthur Phillips, now has the necessary three votes.

Don

#89  pilotbob 01-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Quote Dr. Drib
Prague, by Arthur Phillips, now has the necessary three votes.
Anyone have a good abstract?

BOb

#90  pilotbob 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Quote HarryT
Isn't it SF? I thought we'd said "no SF or fantasy" for this month?
Opps... I guess it could be put in that Genre. I think this could also be called Cyberpunk. But, since its in we'll leave it. They story is contemporary enough.

BOb

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (9/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register