Mobileread
Name that book?
#11  ErwinOtten 12-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Quote Slite
Ah, of course, thank you, I have only read the three first in the series, and just saw that there were at least one new book in the series. Time for a re-read me thinks
If you're not in a hurry then you'd better wait with book four. Book five should be there within half a year (okay, GRRM is saying that for three years now ) and book 4 and 5 are even more connected than the previous three. Because book 4 takes a couple of POV-characters as a guide through the book and book 5 takes the other POV-characters during the same time span (If you've read the books you know what I mean, and if not ...GO READ THEM !!!).. So in book 4 there are for instance no chapters for the Imp and for John Snow, they are all in book 5.

p.s. Am I already enough out of subject ???

#12  Slite 12-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Quote ErwinOtten
If you're not in a hurry then you'd better wait with book four. Book five should be there within half a year (okay, GRRM is saying that for three years now ) and book 4 and 5 are even more connected than the previous three. Because book 4 takes a couple of POV-characters as a guide through the book and book 5 takes the other POV-characters during the same time span (If you've read the books you know what I mean, and if not ...GO READ THEM !!!).. So in book 4 there are for instance no chapters for the Imp and for John Snow, they are all in book 5.
Ok, thanks for the recommendations, then I'll wait and do all 5 of them in one stint (Once the 5th comes out that is)

#13  lilac_jive 12-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Quote Slite
Ok, thanks for the recommendations, then I'll wait and do all 5 of them in one stint (Once the 5th comes out that is)
That is highly recommended (by me). There is just way too much little stuff in those books, you'll want to reread the whole series (which is why I haven't read the latest one)

#14  zelda_pinwheel 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM
i am copying this from an old thread i made a long time ago. at the time it raised a quite interesting discussion, but no-one was able to identify my book. since there are a lot of new members, you never know, perhaps someone has a new idea.

ZE FORGOTTEN BOOK :
a long time ago i got a book at the library which was really brilliant, and i would love to read it again but i have since forgotten the title and the author (i should make a list of everything i read...). i tried looking for it at the library again (at the time i think i would have recognized it if i had seen it) but it wasn't there. maybe checked out, maybe weeded out of the collection...

the theme was solipsism ; the main characters were a family, if i recall correctly, and during the course of the story their home (the scene of the action) began to physically crack and fall apart as the dreamer (the father ?) either realized that they were all products of his own mind or woke up (or possibly neither, and it was the odd events which made the other family members suspect...), and the other family members berated him for causing such havoc. the details are very vague in my memory. i mainly remember really liking it.

i *think* it was an italian author, but it was not Pirandello (i'm 99% sure). I'm pretty sure it was a novel, but it may have been a play, definitely in the absurdist theater style. it was not by ionesco either (but it could have been ; it would make a brilliant companion piece to "Rhinoceros"). it might have been written around the 1950's or 1960's (this is a guess).

in french, i think the title might have been something like "la fĂȘlure" (but not exactly that, or i would have found it already... maybe a synonym), so it might be called something like "the fracture" or "the split" in english.

if anyone has any ideas i would really love to find this book again... i've asked around but it seems to be a bit obscure, no-one i've talked to has any ideas. maybe i dreamed the whole thing...

i'm hoping i'll get lucky and it will be the most favorite book ever of someone who comes on this forum every day... if i ever find it again i'll make another post recommending it, and you can all read it too.

#15  pilotbob 12-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Quote zelda_pinwheel
the theme was solipsism ; the main characters were a family, if i recall correctly, and during the course of the story their home (the scene of the action) began to physically crack and fall apart as the dreamer (the father ?) either realized that they were all products of his own mind or woke up (or possibly neither, and it was the odd events which made the other family members suspect...), and the other family members berated him for causing such havoc. the details are very vague in my memory. i mainly remember really liking it.
Yes, that is very vague. You don't remember any of the character names? If you did you could try google book search.

BOb

#16  ShortNCuddlyAm 12-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Quote zelda_pinwheel
i am copying this from an old thread i made a long time ago. at the time it raised a quite interesting discussion, but no-one was able to identify my book. since there are a lot of new members, you never know, perhaps someone has a new idea.

ZE FORGOTTEN BOOK :
a long time ago i got a book at the library which was really brilliant, and i would love to read it again but i have since forgotten the title and the author (i should make a list of everything i read...). i tried looking for it at the library again (at the time i think i would have recognized it if i had seen it) but it wasn't there. maybe checked out, maybe weeded out of the collection...

i *think* it was an italian author, but it was not Pirandello (i'm 99% sure). I'm pretty sure it was a novel, but it may have been a play, definitely in the absurdist theater style. it was not by ionesco either (but it could have been ; it would make a brilliant companion piece to "Rhinoceros"). it might have been written around the 1950's or 1960's (this is a guess).

in french, i think the title might have been something like "la fĂȘlure" (but not exactly that, or i would have found it already... maybe a synonym), so it might be called something like "the fracture" or "the split" in english.

if anyone has any ideas i would really love to find this book again... i've asked around but it seems to be a bit obscure, no-one i've talked to has any ideas. maybe i dreamed the whole thing...

i'm hoping i'll get lucky and it will be the most favorite book ever of someone who comes on this forum every day... if i ever find it again i'll make another post recommending it, and you can all read it too.

I don't think I've read that book, but I do think I've either read a review of it, or the back cover of it. Or possibly a brief bit in the back of another book. None of which is much help, but if I remember anything helpful, I'll post it!

#17  ShortNCuddlyAm 12-16-2008, 09:45 AM
And now, a forgotten book from childhood.

It was a school story set in England (Yorkshire I think - I vaguely recall one of the characters running away over the moors). It wasn't an Enid Blyton. The main character was a girl called Robin (or maybe Robyn) who always seemed to be in trouble. I suspect it dates from the 50s - the copy I read was almost certainly my aunt's (and no, I can't ask her...)

I don't know why this one out of the countless books I read as a child has stuck, but it has.

#18  zelda_pinwheel 12-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Quote pilotbob
Yes, that is very vague. You don't remember any of the character names? If you did you could try google book search.

BOb
no, sorry, that's sort of the trouble... but i read this book over 10 years ago and i've been searching for it for several years already.

Quote ShortNCuddlyAm
I don't think I've read that book, but I do think I've either read a review of it, or the back cover of it. Or possibly a brief bit in the back of another book. None of which is much help, but if I remember anything helpful, I'll post it!
hee ! you're almost as bad as i am. but if you do remember where you read the back cover, or the review, or a vague allusion to another book which mentioned it in passing, i'll be very happy to know.

#19  pilotbob 12-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Quote zelda_pinwheel
no, sorry, that's sort of the trouble... but i read this book over 10 years ago and i've been searching for it for several years already.
Ok... here's what you do. Write a book that has the same story line... all you can remember... then submit it to a fan fiction type site. I bet within a few days people will complain that you copied so and so book.

BOb

#20  zelda_pinwheel 12-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Quote pilotbob
Ok... here's what you do. Write a book that has the same story line... all you can remember... then submit it to a fan fiction type site. I bet within a few days people will complain that you copied so and so book.

BOb
pffff !

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/109)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register