Mobileread
Moon Reader Plus Font Issues
#1  Timmy 05-28-2020, 01:46 PM
Hi. So I love Moon Reader, but there is one thing driving me absolutely insane! The fake italics. I've written the developer a suggestion, saying it'd be nice if we could add our own font faces to get rid of fake italics and bold.

The dev told me to 'use tts font family "name.ttf+name-bold.ttf+name-italic.ttf", select "name" as the font.' (Literally what they said.)

I do not know what a "tts font family" is, but I've created a ttc font collection using Font Forge and put it in my folder and it didn't do anything (Moon Reader still used fake italics).

Does somebody know what the dev is talking about? Can I get rid of these damn fake italics?

#2  stumped 05-28-2020, 02:12 PM
What is a fake italic, and how is it different from a non fake italic?

Any set of 4 correctly named variants of a fonts will give you normal, bold, italic and bold plus italic. If copied to a folder which moon can use
Works for me with collections copied e.g. from kindle or from pc
If they are "fake", then colour me fooled. Look fine to me.
There are other threads explaining the naming convention, but it's the same convention as used elsewhere, so a simple copy just works.

#3  JSWolf 05-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Quote stumped

Any set of 4 correctly named variants of a fonts will give you normal, bold, italic and bold plus italic. If copied to a folder which moon can use
There are other threads explaining the naming convention, but it's the same convention as used elsewhere, so a simple copy just works.
Fake italics is when the eBook calls for an italic font and instead of using an italic font, it just slants the regular font or if you want bold italics, it slants the bold font. It's very obvious that an italic font is not being used.

#4  jackie_w 05-28-2020, 02:49 PM
Quote stumped
I identify "fake italics" as those where an app just uses the Regular font then slants it a bit. In English it's most noticeable with a lower case 'f'. Typically a real italic 'f' has half the glyph as a descender below the baseline, whereas the fake italic is slanted but has no descender.

#5  Timmy 05-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Quote stumped

It's when, instead of actually using an italic face, someone simply slants the regular version of the font. Here, I'll show you to be perfectly clear:

show attachment »

show attachment »

See the differences between "young" and "Oof"? The fake (first one) looks like regular letter slanted. It's driving me insane.

#6  Timmy 05-28-2020, 05:38 PM
Quote Timmy
Hi. So I love Moon Reader, but there is one thing driving me absolutely insane! The fake italics. I've written the developer a suggestion, saying it'd be nice if we could add our own font faces to get rid of fake italics and bold.

The dev told me to 'use tts font family "name.ttf+name-bold.ttf+name-italic.ttf", select "name" as the font.' (Literally what they said.)

I do not know what a "tts font family" is, but I've created a ttc font collection using Font Forge and put it in my folder and it didn't do anything (Moon Reader still used fake italics).

Does somebody know what the dev is talking about? Can I get rid of these damn fake italics?

BIG EDIT: I'm a moron. So I've looked around these forums and I've found that naming is key. Big thanks to Proximanova for opening my dumbass eyes.

For all who have suffered like me, the answer is simple:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=5

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register