Mobileread
Surge in Library and eBook Borrowing in UK
#1  Thasaidon 04-22-2020, 05:09 AM
Look at this story on the BBC News website

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52368191

I love it. So libraries are obsolete are they!

#2  Uncle Robin 04-22-2020, 05:39 AM
Quote Thasaidon
Look at this story on the BBC News website

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52368191

I love it. So libraries are obsolete are they!
A very dear friend works at our local library, and although I almost never "walk through the doors", I'm a regular user. It's thanks to my local library that I don't really mind how pathetic Kobo's dictionaries are, because I have my library's OED subscription available on my phone, and you literally can't beat that.

#3  Nestonlady73 05-27-2020, 05:37 PM
I've been a library user since I was 7 years old and I'm now in my 70's.For most of those years I used the library in the traditional way i.e by borrowing books but nowadays I read e-books and e-magazines through my local library.I like to think that in this way I am supporting the library system as I have had so many years of enjoyment from our libraries

#4  Paperbackstash 05-28-2020, 04:15 PM
I saw that Kobo has said they have increased sales a lot as well, but I am wondering if that is overall or also in America? I would be interested in stats on increased purchase or reading from all countries during this time. I have been following a lot of Covid news and know that video game usage has stayed steady, several of my friends took up crocheting as a new hobby, and many started new TV binges (saw on Twitter follows). I am curious though if more people start reading, maybe bring some back to the hobby, or if only certain countries show this. I have not seen a sign of this in an article for the US population. Are we reading the same or less, I wonder? I read articles regularly on PW and see sales are down but that is not always indicative of reading habits changing considering there are many lockdowns or people who need to conserve their paychecks or unemployment.

Best Buy and Walmart have been reported increased profit shares --- people are purchasing more video games and games in general, and also more household goods and hobbies, but does this transfer to reading too? Hm. The UK seems to show this with more library borrowing.

#5  fjtorres 05-29-2020, 11:19 AM
Quote Paperbackstash

I have been following a lot of Covid news and know that video game usage has stayed steady, .
Latest word is online gaming is up a *lot* and console gaming 48%.

One recent report from the money guys, who expect the boost to stick past the lockdowns:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/the-sector-benefitting-from-the-quarantine/ar-BB14Jstl

In his latest issue of Profitable Investing, Neil George highlighted this surge:

Millions of folks are trapped at home, leading to surging demand for online content. I continue to monitor that data and media demand from two main sources: Comscore (SCOR), a monitor and measurement company for online products, and Nielsen (NLSN), which tries to count viewers for television and other programming.

In March, Comscore reported that electronic gaming on consoles (using a proprietary hardware device like Microsoft’s Xbox) surged 48%.

And while not as impressive, the demand for gaming data not just from consoles but also through desktop and laptop computers as well as mobile devices is up 19% through April, with most popular games leading the way.

Looking forward, experts are predicting robust demand even after our world reemerges from lockdowns.
Note that is just March.
Next two months probably added extra growth.

In contrast, eBook sales are growing but not quite at console levels. Probably closer to the 19% of online gaming.

A factor on the console side is there's a new generation due in Sept/Oct so the existing models are being heavily discounted (40-60%). Plus they handle video streaming as well as games so there's added incentive to jump on the closeouts.

#6  mitford13 06-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Many libraries slowly starting up again, usually with curbside service or by appointment.
This PSA from Nashville Public libraries is adorable:

https://mobile.twitter.com/blackgirldating/status/1269686940732928000

#7  CWatkinsNash 06-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Quote mitford13
Many libraries slowly starting up again, usually with curbside service or by appointment.
This PSA from Nashville Public libraries is adorable:

https://mobile.twitter.com/blackgirldating/status/1269686940732928000
I love our library system.

#8  Tarana 06-10-2020, 04:12 PM
Our libraries (Minnesota) are still closed to public, but they've reported a huge surge in ebook/audiobook downloads and curbside pickups starting in March. This will likely continue for some time. Glad to see it. I personally am not downloading anything in order to leave content available to those who have fewer choices. I have plenty of books to read and listen to.

FWIW, there is a lot of e-content at my library as well including newspapers, magazines and journals. I can no longer read print, so this is great for those of us with vision problems.

#9  Paperbackstash 06-10-2020, 04:39 PM
I support libraries 100% but rarely use mine other than an ocassional digital download. Our county has never gotten what I consider a good ratio of ebooks or audiobooks. I mainly visit the large branch since they opened a coffeeshop - a local owned coffeeshop I supported opened their second location in the library, and they are by the lake where I feed the ducks when I visit. I also pick up the cheap used books from Friends of the Library wall. Checking out physical books I haven't done in over 20 years, I have too large of a TBR list already. That said, there's great value for those who need the books or resources the library provides to the community.

#10  Paperbackstash 06-10-2020, 04:40 PM
Quote fjtorres
Latest word is online gaming is up a *lot* and console gaming 48%.

One recent report from the money guys, who expect the boost to stick past the lockdowns:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/the-sector-benefitting-from-the-quarantine/ar-BB14Jstl
I went through a reading rut the past few months to a degree and got more invested into Steam gaming myself. Spent too much money on those sales

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register