Mobileread
Do you find size or resolution more important for pdf reading?
#1  MarjaE 04-16-2020, 10:58 PM
I sometimes read that small screens are fine for pdfs, as long as they have good resolution. Also complaints about screens which have weaker resolution.

Now I have an astigmatism, so for me, size is a lot more important than resolution. What are your experiences?

#2  DNSB 04-16-2020, 11:32 PM
Quote MarjaE
I sometimes read that small screens are fine for pdfs, as long as they have good resolution. Also complaints about screens which have weaker resolution.

Now I have an astigmatism, so for me, size is a lot more important than resolution. What are your experiences?
Sadly both. You need the resolution but you also need the size unless you really enjoy reading flyspeck 3 sized fonts.

#3  rkomar 04-17-2020, 12:13 AM
I think it depends on what you are reading. Fiction tends to use "normal" fonts that are easy to read even on older ereaders. Scientific articles tend to use fonts with narrow strokes, making them harder to read on low resolution displays. I have an old 10" ereader with a 1200x800 pixel display. I had to read the scientific articles in landscape mode to make the text readable, though it was still not very comfortable on the eyes.

#4  Quoth 04-17-2020, 07:00 AM
Small screens only work for small PDFs. Not suitable for most PDFs. In general a 10" screen is needed, but it needs to be decent resolution. Some very cheap 10" tablets are same X Y dots as cheap 7" tablets.

#5  pwalker8 04-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Size for me, though I do need a certain resolution regardless.

#6  j.p.s 04-17-2020, 12:12 PM
Quote MarjaE

Size for me. 13 inch at 150dpi is adequate, though I would prefer 200dpi or more.

#7  Quoth 04-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Note that at 254 shades + white and black gives superior antialiasing and rendering of fonts than the SAME dpi at 14 shades + nearly white and black of eink. Even apart from colour. Also many OLED and LCD devices use subpixel addressing which roughly doubles the DPI in the horizontal direction, which is more important for most fonts.
So 120 dpi to 150 dpi on a good LCD or OLED can seem as sharp as 300 dpi on eink.

#8  Apache 04-17-2020, 01:33 PM
I prefer to enlarge pdf files to fit my tablet, especially if they have pictures.
Apache

#9  haertig 04-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Size. My smartphone has higher resolution than my tablet, but the tablet is larger. I definitely prefer PDFs on the tablet, but wish the tablet was even larger for PDF viewing. For everything else, I like the small portability of an 8" tablet, but PDFs are a weak point on something this size. Still, they're much better on even a small tablet than on a smartphone.

Smartphone: 6.2", 2270x1080, 403 ppi

Tablet: 8", 1200x800, 189 ppi <-- PDF winner

#10  thompsonmax 05-12-2020, 07:36 AM
Quote Quoth
Small screens only work for small PDFs. Not suitable for most PDFs. In general a 10" screen is needed, but it needs to be decent resolution. Some very cheap 10" tablets are same X Y dots as cheap 7" tablets.
Totally agree with you. Usually I use 10'' screen.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register