Mobileread
Two separate 'tap forward' zones?
#1  Pavati 03-25-2019, 03:32 PM
I'm using KoReader on Pocketbook TL3.
Is it possible to create two separate tap zones for "tap 1 page forward" on the left and right side of screen and invoke menu by tapping in the center? Like it is in Pocketbook?

Because some of my books don't work with KoReader (books from paid service, probably something with encryption), so I have to read them on default PB reader. When I switch between both readers I often get their tap zones mixed up and for example tap in the center for menu while in KoReader.

The zones I would like to achieve look like this in PB:
image »

TIA!

#2  Alan_S 03-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Well, you can have one big zone for forward taking middle part and for backward, you can set lower part, but it would go across whole screen (not in 3 and 2 separate zones).

But, parts you don't touch, want be important to you.

To do that, you need to edit defaults.lua (rename it afterward to defaults.persistent.lua, so it doesn't get overwritten) in kobo root directory.

Code
-- customizable tap zones(rectangles)
-- x: x coordinate of top left corner in proportion of screen width
-- y: y coordinate of top left corner in proportion of screen height
-- w: width of tap zone in proportion of screen width
-- h: height of tap zone in proportion of screen height
DTAP_ZONE_MENU = {x = 1/8, y = 0, w = 3/4, h = 1/12}
DTAP_ZONE_CONFIG = {x = 0, y = 0, w = 0, h = 0}
DTAP_ZONE_MINIBAR = {x = 0.1, y = 0.97, w = 0.9, h = 0.03}
DTAP_ZONE_FORWARD = {x = 1/12, y = 0, w = 11/12, h = 1}
DTAP_ZONE_BACKWARD = {x = 0, y = 0, w = 1/12, h = 1}
Edit what is red to suite your needs. As you can see (this is how I set it for myself) you also use decimal numbers, not only fractions.

And for menu, it is either swipe down from top of screen, or can be some other gesture (now we have gesture manager).

Anyway, I think you can't get exactly as you want, but you can get close enough.

#3  ilovejedd 03-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Create a copy of defaults.lua and name it defaults.persistent.lua

Then modify the tap zones in defaults.persistent.lua. I think this gives the zones what you want. I use something similar on my Kindle except I don't have a tap zone for previous page at all. I use swipe for that. Majority of the touch area is set to forward on mine.
Code
-- customizable tap zones(rectangles)
-- x: x coordinate of top left corner in proportion of screen width
-- y: y coordinate of top left corner in proportion of screen height
-- w: width of tap zone in proportion of screen width
-- h: height of tap zone in proportion of screen height
DTAP_ZONE_MENU = {x = 1/3, y = 0, w = 1/3, h = 7/8}
DTAP_ZONE_CONFIG = {x = 1/3, y = 7/8, w = 1/3, h = 1/8}
DTAP_ZONE_MINIBAR = {x = 1/3, y = 31/32, w = 1/3, h = 1/32}
DTAP_ZONE_FORWARD = {x = 0, y = 1/8, w = 1, h = 3/4}
DTAP_ZONE_BACKWARD = {x = 0, y = 7/8, w = 1, h = 1/8}
DTAP_ZONE_BOOKMARK = {x = 7/8, y = 0, w = 1/8, h = 1/8}
DTAP_ZONE_FLIPPING = {x = 0, y = 0, w = 1/8, h = 1/8}
DDOUBLE_TAP_ZONE_NEXT_CHAPTER = {x = 6/8, y = 0, w = 2/8, h = 2/8}
DDOUBLE_TAP_ZONE_PREV_CHAPTER = {x = 0, y = 0, w = 2/8, h = 2/8}

#4  ilovejedd 03-25-2019, 04:09 PM
Quote Alan_S
Well, you can have one big zone for forward taking middle part and for backward, you can set lower part, but it would go across whole screen (not in 3 and 2 separate zones).
You can if you overlap zones. I have width set to 1 for DTAP_ZONE_FORWARD on mine with menu/config zones superimposed in the middle. Works okay on my Kindle (left and right taps go forward, middle tap brings up the menu).

#5  Ken Maltby 03-27-2019, 02:51 PM
Perhaps it is time to consider user developed "Templates" to set KOReader's UI to match other existing interfaces. I can see where someone might get familiar with a device's stock UI, and then only be comfortable if things work, on that device, in the manner they are used to. Then there those of us who may use KOReader on more than one device, and would like KOReader to function (to the extent possible) the same, no matter which device you are using it on.

As configurable as KOReader is, it should be possible to match the UI for any shared functions, with the use of such templates.

Luck;
Ken

#6  psbernitz 04-20-2020, 01:41 AM
hello on my nova2 in the koreader folder I don't have such a file which is called defaults.lua. How can I change everything according to my needs?

#7  pazos 04-20-2020, 02:33 AM
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...09&postcount=2

#8  Pajamaman 05-22-2020, 01:49 PM
Android
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3922499

non-Android
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3930863

#9  everdred 05-29-2020, 08:25 PM
I just want to say that I'm incredibly thankful for this thread, and probably shouldn't be surprised that the functionality is built-in.

I don't mind the default functionality except that I feel like the two shouldn't extend to the absolute center of the screen, where it can be basically impossible to tell on which side of the center line you're tapping. A small dead zone would suit me.

#10  everdred 05-29-2020, 09:01 PM
In changing this setting I realized that the default zones are actually not horizontally 50/50, as I had assumed they were. At any rate, 40/20/40 is working for me so far.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register