Mobileread
Getting Mobipocket authors to display correctly on Kindle
#1  geoelectric 01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
I just downloaded BAEN's Free Library (I owe them a fat donation) and spent a couple of hours with mobi2mobi stamping the files with proper title and author metadata.

Normally, when you download content from Amazon, the Kindle displays the author as First, Last but sorts as Last, First. With the mobipocket files I've stamped and added manually, it's sorting as displayed, so First, Last.

I guess I can restamp the files as Last, First, but I'd prefer to have them wholly integrated in the library. Anyone know if there's another EXTH category or something I can use to get them to display First, Last and sort Last, First?

#2  geoelectric 01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Never mind, may have answered my own question. Looks like the Kindle automatically turns around Last, First into First Last on display, so I need to restamp that way.

#3  tompe 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Quote geoelectric
Never mind, may have answered my own question. Looks like the Kindle automatically turns around Last, First into First Last on display, so I need to restamp that way.
That was kind of a nice functionality. I do not think there is a EXTH data field for another sort order. I think that epub can contain a sort key in the meta data so when we have epub readers we might have this functionality.

#4  kovidgoyal 01-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Does the Kindle not maintain a cache of book files it has found on the device? Where does it store bookmarks and history and so on? On the SONY you can edit the metadata in the cache to have it show up however you want (that's what libprs500 does).

#5  Nate the great 01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I don't know about the cache, but I do know that bookmarks are stored in a seperate file for each book.

#6  tompe 01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
Does the Kindle not maintain a cache of book files it has found on the device? Where does it store bookmarks and history and so on? On the SONY you can edit the metadata in the cache to have it show up however you want (that's what libprs500 does).
The Gen3 store bookmark in a special data file one per book. I do not think there is a reason to cache the meta data information since it is stored uncompressed and unencrypted in the first record of the file. It is as fast to read that data as to read a cache.

But maybe I just have missed a global cache file. I will look for it sometimes...

#7  HarryT 01-16-2008, 03:00 AM
I don't know if the Kindle works the same way, but all other versions of the MobiPocket Reader create a file "bookname.mbp" (ie a separate file for each book). This file stores your current reading position in the book, user annotations, bookmarks, etc.

#8  kovidgoyal 01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Does the mbp file also contain metadata? i.e. title and author?

#9  geoelectric 01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
The Kindle creates mbp files, too. As far as anyone can tell, it really is a mobipocket reader, with Amazon mobipocket files having the funky AZW extension.

I didn't look in them for metadata, since I didn't have a handy mbp editor hanging out. There is no exposed way to edit the metadata "cache" though. Restamping the books with mobi2mobi --author "last, first" did what I wanted.

I have some batch files quick and dirtied now that will go through a tree of book files and stamp all the authors based on the directory names they're in. Once/if I get those cleaned up a little, I'll upload.

#10  tompe 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
Does the mbp file also contain metadata? i.e. title and author?
It seems to contain the title but not the author.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register