Mobileread
Font Embedding?
#71  Hitch 01-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote JSWolf
I hope SW does run the user-submitted ePub through the meatgrinder. That way, the ePub would be the source for all the other formats (except PDF). Just don't ePub > ePub and all will be well.
What other formats? Not to be xeno-pub-lic, I mean, right, I know that they exist, but what's the point? LRF? Besides ePUB and MOBI, what's really needed any longer? And Smashwords does not have distro to Amazon--and it's unlikely that that will ever be restored, so...why bother? Distro to which entity or platform?

Speaking of not being able to follow the style guide, I'll give you worse...
WOW.

I mean, WOW. I feel so much better about ePUBs I made starting out, OMG!

Htich

#72  JSWolf 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Quote Hitch
What other formats? Not to be xeno-pub-lic, I mean, right, I know that they exist, but what's the point? LRF? Besides ePUB and MOBI, what's really needed any longer? And Smashwords does not have distro to Amazon--and it's unlikely that that will ever be restored, so...why bother? Distro to which entity or platform?
I would go with ePub, Mobi, KF8, LRF (for the old Sony Readers where people don't like right justified), eReader, and FB2. Other then that, can't see any other format anyone would want.

WOW.

I mean, WOW. I feel so much better about ePUBs I made starting out, OMG!

Htich
And these people get paid for this. How they can justify it I have no idea. I could do better then that any day of the week.

Just to give you a good laugh, run the sample of Reboots through epubcheck 3, it will pass. But it won't pass FlightCrew.

Code
Reboots (sample).epub/OEBPS/REBOOTS.ncx 1 internal subset is not allowed when reusing the grammar
1 is the line number. But give that the NCX is all one line, it may not be an easy thing to find.

#73  teh603 01-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Quote JSWolf
Get the sample and see really bad code. Actually, really bad is better then this. This is the worst code I've ever seen in a publisher ePub. And given some of the names they have as authors, you'd think they'd put some care into their eBooks.
Wow. I can't code modern HTML (last time I did serious coding was version 2.0 with hex code colors and netscape extensions), but I can tell that code's whacked.

Course I try to sidestep as much as possible by starting out with unformatted text. That way there's nothing to strip out. I guess I could do it more easily if I got used to adding P and /P tags, but I was always more of a BR guy.

Quote JSWolf
I would go with ePub, Mobi, KF8, LRF (for the old Sony Readers where people don't like right justified), eReader, and FB2. Other then that, can't see any other format anyone would want.
What's this about LRF not being right justified?

#74  JSWolf 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Quote teh603
Wow. I can't code modern HTML (last time I did serious coding was version 2.0 with hex code colors and netscape extensions), but I can tell that code's whacked.

Course I try to sidestep as much as possible by starting out with unformatted text. That way there's nothing to strip out. I guess I could do it more easily if I got used to adding P and /P tags, but I was always more of a BR guy.
Actually, using a good text editor, Sigil, and plain text (marked to show bold, italics, bolditalics, smallcaps, etc), you can easily make a well formatted ePub with good code.

Using Notepad++, it is very easy to search/replace the different paragraphs to put in <p></p>. Using Sigil it's very easy to fix up the ePub. You can easily produce well formatted ePub with good looking code. You just have to learn CSS and some basic HTML/XML.

As for the code I posted, that's just wrong on so many levels it may not even be possible to count how many.

What's this about LRF not being right justified?
Old Sony Readers 500 (with the ePub firmware), 505, 600, and 700 all have a version of ADE that only displays right justified. Some do not like that and thus prefer LRF. And those with a 500 (without the ePub firmware) cannot use ePub except to convert it to LRF.

#75  DaleDe 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Quote JSWolf

Old Sony Readers 500 (with the ePub firmware), 505, 600, and 700 all have a version of ADE that only displays right justified. Some do not like that and thus prefer LRF. And those with a 500 (without the ePub firmware) cannot use ePub except to convert it to LRF.
This version is fully justified, not right justified. Right justified would be ragged left.

Dale

#76  JSWolf 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Quote DaleDe
This version is fully justified, not right justified. Right justified would be ragged left.

Dale
So I got that slightly wrong. But you knew what I meant.

For those that didn't get it, I meant not fully justified so the text on the right side of the screen is not justified.

« First  « Prev   (8/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register