Mobileread
Font Embedding?
#11  pdurrant 09-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote Freeshadow
I just was thinking about if and how such font stripping could be possible since I read a posting confirming that someone got in trouble embedding a commercial font. (I think Dennis posted)
Keeping in mind that commercial full utf-range containing fonts are not only expensive (thinking about the Linotype collection CDs here... 4 digit prices) but huge too (isn't, the full UTF Times New Roman, according to Wikipedia several megabytes big?)
It would make sense to strip them for several reasons:
I think this is a great idea. Quite tricky to do, but a really great idea.

#12  Freeshadow 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Well isn't Calibre doing exactly part of the job? Parsing epubs in python? I notified Kovid about the idea here... Interested what he might have to say.

I was thinking about the problem since here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=15

and tought about how to best present the idea to the python savvy ones on MR, then Luke wrote here that such a thing is already in the making - sparing me a definitely heavy task of composing a teal deer post hoping some coders might find it useful too.
We know what's commonly said about a user with an idea don't we?

Personally I think such a finalizing tool could make epubs compatible to the majority of commercial font licenses.
And THAT would be a hell of a breakthrough in production of commercially usable epubs.

#13  kovidgoyal 09-28-2012, 11:20 PM
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81378

#14  pdurrant 09-29-2012, 02:59 AM
What I think Kovid is saying is that calibre has all the XHTML/CSS parsing code needed, and all that would need to be added to calibre would be font subsetting code and some UI elements to turn it on during ePub->ePub 'conversion'.

#15  teh603 09-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote Freeshadow
1.)I can't think of a book really needing ALL of the glyphs: several languages (some purely historic), math, physics etc. and the kitchen sink.

If a book with such needs exists it makes the Rosetta Stone look like a nursery rhyme. I think such a case is highly improbable.

So let's strip and save size.

When we remove the unused glyphs without changing the location of the used ones inside the font it should be fine with the epub specs I think.
What's wrong with just embedding the original font file? One of my favorites only weighs in around 140k. That isn't very big.

#16  JSWolf 09-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote teh603
What's wrong with just embedding the original font file? One of my favorites only weighs in around 140k. That isn't very big.
Sometimes the license won't allow the full font file to be embedded. Also, if you use a full font family, that does add even more size to the eBook.

I would love to easily be able to do font subsetting.

#17  pdurrant 09-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote teh603
Font licensing issues. Going to a subset would make it a lot easier and cheaper to license fonts for inclusion in commercial ePubs.

#18  teh603 09-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote pdurrant
Font licensing issues. Going to a subset would make it a lot easier and cheaper to license fonts for inclusion in commercial ePubs.
Then what happens if you need the Mah Jongg tiles? You'd need some kind of sanity check to make sure the glyphs you needed were included.

#19  pdurrant 09-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Quote teh603
Then what happens if you need the Mah Jongg tiles? You'd need some kind of sanity check to make sure the glyphs you needed were included.
That is indeed what we're discussing.

Professional PDF creation software checks what glyphs are used in the document, and produces a custom font files that includes only those glyphs.

It should be possible to do the same for ePubs.

#20  JSWolf 09-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote pdurrant
That is indeed what we're discussing.

Professional PDF creation software checks what glyphs are used in the document, and produces a custom font files that includes only those glyphs.

It should be possible to do the same for ePubs.
Does this produce an actual font file that we can embed? What is the process using Adobe Acrobat?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register