Mobileread
CNET Pre-Announces Amazon Kindle Launch
#11  GregS 11-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Is it still fugly?

Since I first saw a picture of it, I thought did they really intend it to be so awkwardly repulsive. Ugly I can put up with if it is functional. I am unsure whether a mini-keyboard is the best option, but I am open to argument.

I look forward to see the release version. In the end if it functions well it will soon enough be seen as a thing of beauty.

#12  Danielle 11-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Do we know the cost of the Kindle?

#13  igorsk 11-16-2007, 06:53 AM
CNET says $399 (as you could've read in the article).

#14  LazyScot 11-16-2007, 06:55 AM
It would be great if it is true. The story seems to hang together, and the arguments make sense. For Amazon, the timing is about right -- if I can order it from their website on Monday and it turns up a day or two later then it makes the Christmas/Festive season. But that would mean boxes sitting in the warehouse now, and I've not noticed any rumours at all on that.

As for the appearance, I wonder if the pictures released were deliberately of a less than beautiful device to make the real product look good?

#15  rjnagle 11-16-2007, 07:04 AM
more rants on teleread
http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=7649#comment-626127

#16  CommanderROR 11-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Well, Monday is not far away, and I guess we'll all know what the deal is then...

I'm really worried about the "US exclusive thing" though...we really don't need yet another reader that is limited to a specific continent...but there were rumours that made it seem a bit more likely that this will be an internation device.

#17  Leaping Gnome 11-16-2007, 10:33 AM
You have seen the quality of CNet reporting on the Sony Reader and how many things they got just plain wrong, and that is out and public and in their hands. Why would you trust them on the Kindle, a product that is not even announced?

#18  CCDMan 11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Ugly I can put up with if it is functional.
Personally, I would be more concerned about size. A keyboard, to be halfway usable, is gonna make it bigger. Light and portable are a REALLY big part of any reader for me, one of the things I like about the Sony. If is is a huge clunker, it is no sale to me, I don't care what it does.

#19  bob_ninja 11-16-2007, 10:37 AM
"proved to be a bust" is correct assuming the expectation of a rapid adoption by wider public (such as for iPods). Of course, such expectation is insane. iPod followed after many years of other music players already established the market and general public became familiar with digital music. Sony's device is only one of the 1st to establish a new eBook category that for the most part didn't exist (except for a niche of PDA and other exotic device users). Writer's expectations/assumptions are just plain wrong.

The newspaper delivery via wifi is an excellent feature that will certainly bring it a lot of customers even if many people don't care for it. There are plenty of people in large metropolitan areas spending 30-60 min on trains and busses commuting to work reading newspapers. I am sure they would love to save 5 min by not having to stop by the store to pickup paper, plus the annoyance of having to discard it afterwards, as well as fighting with big pages, etc. Instead Amazon could simply push the latest copy via wifi at a train/bus station as customer gets onto a train/bus. Simple, clean, quick/easy access to sections of interest, etc. Also newspapre companies save a bunch of money on printing and delivery, which these days is becoming more expensive with higher fuel costs.

What happened to the Illiad test with nespapers in Europe?

P.S.: The only issue is wifi drain on battery can be considerable. They would have to have an easy method of switching wifi on/off to ensure minimum power drain.

#20  bob_ninja 11-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Quote CCDMan
Personally, I would be more concerned about size. A keyboard, to be halfway usable, is gonna make it bigger. Light and portable are a REALLY big part of any reader for me, one of the things I like about the Sony. If is is a huge clunker, it is no sale to me, I don't care what it does.
If keyboard folds as a cover on top of the screen then you are only addings little bit of thickness.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register