Mobileread
MobileRead Short Story Anthology - [GUIDELINES]
#11  Katsunami 02-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Quote Graham
Agreed. MobileRead feels like a supportive environment for this, and those of us just starting out would really benefit from some critical reading - even if just by those of us involved in the project.
True enough; though I'm proud to say that my English is quite good, I'm hardly a native speaker. I wouldn't be surprised if I have some weirdness in my writing that would go unnoticed by most, but would be blatantly obvious to a native speaker.

By the way, I've just dispatched a PM to Alexander Turcic to see what he thinks of this effort. I can hardly imagine that he and the other mods decide that they don't want to allow this project, but I did ask if he would be for, or against it to have MR mentioned in the anthology. I could think of some reasons for both points of view.

#12  Dr. Drib 03-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Quote Katsunami
I see some clarification and adjustment is already in order I'll keep the first post updated.

- DON'T attach the stories to your posts. I see Dr. Drib already removed one of them. I didn't realise that this would be seen as author promotion outside of the proper subforum.
- Indeed, a minimum of 80,000 words (~200 paperback pages) is the target of the entire anthology.
- I hope to get 10 participants, allocating 20 pages to each.
- The above statement means that each participant will be allocated 8,000 words to be used for one or more stories.
- Minimum length of one story: 4,000 words, ~ 10 pages
- Maximum length of one story: 8,000 words, ~20 pages
- Each author may contribute one or two stories, using the number of words between them as you see fit. The number of words is a guideline.
- If there are less than 10 participants, the number of stories per author or amount of allocated words could become larger.

I can imagine that people might want to share their work in progress. How about me setting up a shared Dropbox/Copy.com folder, so we don't need to e-mail or PM stuff around?

I'll make this comment as a moderator:

He didn't attach his story; rather, he put a link in to his site that deals in poetry and asked everyone to take a look. That was not in keeping with the spirit of post #1. His link and comment was seen as a promotional post.

Further thoughts: I don't think we can allow short stories to be uploaded here, as that would cause 'reams of clutter' to fill Mobileread, and then (of course), there would undoubtedly be the attempt by someone to make a promotional post in a thread that has nothing to do with promotion. (And, of course, our guidelines for self-promotion prohibit any promotion outside of the Self-Promotion forum....)

Your suggestion about a Dropbox/Copy.com folder seems viable.

Your project sounds like a worthwhile project.

Don
[Moderator]

#13  Graham 03-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks Don, it sounds like we're thinking along the right lines.

I don't think we could get round the activity around the project being in itself a sort of self-promotion, but taking the entire thing off MobileRead would rather defeat the object.

Hopefully if we keep the stories themselves outside, and just discuss here the project and any interesting insights into writing, editing and formatting an ebook that emerge, there would be enough interesting posts to make it a worthwhile contribution to the forum.

Graham

#14  Dr. Drib 03-01-2014, 11:18 AM
You're right on target with what you said in your last paragraph. All of those apsects can help unite the writing community here at Mobileread.

As a project - yes, it's promotional in nature, much like the one that VydorScope started, which was also the genesis for this current project.

The spirit and heart of this program will be those posts centered on what you said in your last paragraph.

Don
(Moderator)

#15  cromag 03-01-2014, 11:55 AM
As it turned out I had a hard time sleeping last night ... and an idea for a story came to me. But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, my brain seems to be tuned for very short stories. I see this one "fleshing out" at maybe 2500 words. I'd worry about having it seem "padded" if I try to push it beyond that. So if 4000 words is going to be a firm minimum I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

Also, with regard to publication -- I have no problem with it being Free, so if it is published as a free anthology at a place like Smashwords it wouldn't be necessary to provide an epub to each author -- we could just download our own, in whatever format we want. But, since each author would retain copyright to his/her own story, I don't think anyone else could make the whole anthology available without each author's permission. But each author could make his/her own story available as a stand-alone story under whatever terms they want -- unless we agree otherwise. In fact, I'd like to do this myself, although I'd have no trouble agreeing to give the anthology a six month period of exclusivity.

Thoughts?

#16  Katsunami 03-01-2014, 12:11 PM
@Dr. Drib: Thanks for the clarification aoub the deleted link
@Graham & Dr. Drib: This project has learning about writing, publishing, and editing as it's main purpose. I hope the more experienced authors at MR will take part in this project. The second purpose is actually getting some material out there.

I've been writing passages and scenes, but I don't actually know how good (or bad) they are, and I feel I don't have enough material (yet) to create a full length novel, of which I am of the opinion that it should be around 200 pages long at least.

I do have enough material to create one or two short stories, and I think there may quite a few people here who have an idea, write something, but don't think their idea is "big" enough to create an entire book. Putting everyone in the same boat, writing and working together, will make all short stories better (hopefully), and then, at the end, there will be an actual book available. For people who have never put any writing "out there", that's a big deal, and a giant leap for mankind. (Uh... or at least for the startups, it is )

#17  Katsunami 03-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Quote cromag
As it turned out I had a hard time sleeping last night ... and an idea for a story came to me. But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, my brain seems to be tuned for very short stories. I see this one "fleshing out" at maybe 2500 words. I'd worry about having it seem "padded" if I try to push it beyond that. So if 4000 words is going to be a firm minimum I'll have to go back to the drawing board.
Everything in the "rules" (cough...) can be seen as a guideline. I suggested to keep a short story between 4,000 and 8,000 words, so that a writer can have either one or two stories in the anthology, totalling 8,000 words.

If you can come up with three stories of 2,500 words for a total of 7,500 words, then this is fine as well. If another person comes up with one story of 8,500 or 9,000 words, or two stories of 4,500 words, I'm fine with that as well.

So, take everything "rule" as a guideline and use some common sense

The suggestions are there because I don't want one author to dominate the Table of Contents with 10 flash fiction stories of 800 words, or another one putting a novella of 40K words in there.

Also, with regard to publication -- I have no problem with it being Free, so if it is published as a free anthology at a place like Smashwords it wouldn't be necessary to provide an epub to each author -- we could just download our own, in whatever format we want.
I was thinking that each contributor would get a version of the book to be included on their website or Smashwords page or wherever they want to.

The only problem would be that if 10 people would post this book at Smashwords, it gets distributed to other stores such as Kobo. At that point, Kobo would have 10 copies of the same book, each by a differet author.

Is this a problem?

In that case, I could post the book under my own name, crediting all other contributors in the description and in the book. If everybody is fine with this and it is seen as the proper way to do it (to prevent stores ending up with 10 copies of this work), we'll do it like this.

But, since each author would retain copyright to his/her own story, I don't think anyone else could make the whole anthology available without each author's permission.
I was thinking that, after it is finished, every contributing author owns the entire book, and that each of these authors can post it anywhere and everywhere (except maybe torrenting it through Pirate Bay).

If we decide to allow each author to post the entire anthology, then obviously a prerequisite to being included in it would be that you give permission for this.

But each author could make his/her own story available as a stand-alone story under whatever terms they want -- unless we agree otherwise. In fact, I'd like to do this myself, although I'd have no trouble agreeing to give the anthology a six month period of exclusivity.

Thoughts?
The anthology will be in the MobileRead library, on the grounds that it is developed on this forum. Also, I'll post the anthology for free as well. This means that all stories will be free forever.

If I'm going to be the sole poster of the entire anthology because of the fact that I made the first post in this project, then I would suggest this for the seperate stories:

- Every author can post their own stories seperately wherever they want.
- Each of the stories must include a reference to the anthology in the MobileRead library, and at least one other source (Smashwords/Amazon/own website...).

Personally I would like it best if each author got a copy of the work for himself, with only one principle to adhere to:

"Do with the anthology as you like. Post it everywhere you want. The only rules are that you don't change anything in it after publication, and keep it free forever."

The only problem is that the book will probably end up multiple times in book stores. If that is not seen as a problem, I'm all for this approach. I don't really mind if the anthology is bought (for $0.00) from you, me, Vydor, Graham or whomever, or downloaded from the MR library.

If you'd want to actually sell your own stories seperately (so you DON'T post the anthology yourself), I have no problems with that either, but people may not like it, if they find out that they could have gotten the story for free at a gazillion other places.

#18  arjaybe 03-01-2014, 01:01 PM
I found a story that I wouldn't mind putting in there, but it's only 1040 words. I'll see if I can find another one to go with it. I don't want to enter too many - don't want to fill up the TOC.-)

The story hasn't been published before, except as one of the award winners in a local writer's group thingy. Still okay?

rjb

#19  Katsunami 03-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Quote arjaybe
I found a story that I wouldn't mind putting in there, but it's only 1040 words. I'll see if I can find another one to go with it. I don't want to enter too many - don't want to fill up the TOC.-)

The story hasn't been published before, except as one of the award winners in a local writer's group thingy. Still okay?

rjb
If you want to be included, and decide to two, maybe three stories of ~1000 words, I'm okay with that, but you'll be wasting 5-6K words.

And, as said, creating the anthology is about learning the writing / editing / publishing process; I don't want to end up with 20 short stories tomorrow. ("Hey dude, I've got a few hanging around I was too lazy to make into a book. Cya!") Me building an e-book is not the goal or point of the project; it's the cherry on the cake, the way to actually get the works out there.

Each author must provide at least one (1) new story, written specifically for this anthology, or there won't be anything to learn about writing.

#20  Graham 03-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Quote Katsunami
Each author must provide at least one (1) new story, written specifically for this anthology, or there won't be anything to learn about writing.
I think it would be OK if it was a story that hadn't been published elsewhere, as long as the author was happy that we were all going to go through a review, critique and edit process. We should all be engaged with that.

I was thinking of using a story that I wrote last year that would benefit from rework, rather than writing a new one from scratch.

On the distribution front, I think it would be best if the anthology was distributed just by you - assuming you're happy with being the editor - and we all just link to it.

And I agree that we should come up with a suitable agreement where we can then use our own stories later on as we wish, on the understanding that the anthology will remain available and free. Allowing a period of exclusivity of, say, six months sounds fine to me.

Graham

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/15)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register