Mobileread
MobileRead Short Story Anthology - [GUIDELINES]
#141  Graham 06-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Quote mrmarlowe
Using focuswriter is a really good idea if you are having trouble focusing.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/focuswriter_portable
Thanks. I've tried a few similar apps, but I find that I quite like Google Docs, and it saves me a step of copying things around later.

I do go full screen with no toolbar in Google Docs, which only takes a couple of clicks, so I can achieve the same effect.

Graham

#142  gmw 06-20-2014, 02:41 AM
My problem is time, not focus. My trouble with focus is having too much of it. I find it difficult to switch off from whatever it is I've buried myself in, and so be able turn around and bury myself in something else. Writing, for me, takes lots of time. Time to prepare and time to settle ... and then time to actually write. It also takes energy. When I'm over tired (which seems to be all the time at the moment), I don't have what it takes to write. It will change, but that doesn't stop me being impatient. This is always a busy time of year for my work, and something has to give - at the moment that's my writing.

#143  gmw 08-21-2014, 05:40 AM
Tap, tap. Tap, tap. Ffft, Ffft. Is this thing on?

Just wondering what, if anything, is happening on this?

I've just finished the first draft of a 3300 word short story that's a bit experimental (for me). It's more strongly/deliberately themed than I usually attempt, and it's entirely dialogue - no attributions or other asides. I'm curious to know if it works and how well the characterisations come over.

I can find other beta readers, but if there was still any chance of this anthology going anywhere then I'd be happy to submit this new one and get comments here. (Which means, of course, I'd should get off my butt and do my part on the new ones that have arrived since I was last here.)

#144  Katsunami 08-21-2014, 07:19 AM
To be honest, I don't have enough time to spare because of 'life.' Nothing wrong or anything, just a lot to do.

I'm thinking about having one of the mods close these threads about the anthology, and suggest starting one thread where people can sumbit drafts for others to review and comment on. The stories for this anthology would be free to be submitted to magazines and such.

#145  gmw 08-21-2014, 10:50 AM
If we giving up on creating an anthology it would as well to at least unsticky the threads anyway ... and probably close them, I guess. It was a good thought, and I enjoyed what we did manage to do. So thanks for getting it started.

#146  arjaybe 08-21-2014, 01:12 PM
I guess I can stop thinking about hauling out that other story, then. This was a good exercise, though, and I've enjoyed it.

#147  Graham 08-22-2014, 04:15 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the process. It gave me a real boost at just the right time.

And Geoff, I've been looking at my comma use and cutting down on the run-on sentences. :-)

#148  Katsunami 08-22-2014, 05:12 AM
Quote Graham
I thoroughly enjoyed the process. It gave me a real boost at just the right time.
I did enjoy this too; I learned a lot from it, mainly that I should not write my dialog in the same way as David Eddings does. (It was characterized as "stilted" because it was too detailed and precise.) It also gave me an idea for another short story.

Maybe I'll write a novel by writing the scenes as short stories first and then compiling them. Or, I'll not write a novel, ever, and just keep writing short stories in my own world. Why not

Would it be an idea to close these two threads, and start a thread where people can submit drafts for critique, attaching them to their posts? Then, if one has time, a draft can be read and commented on.

#149  Graham 08-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Quote Katsunami
Would it be an idea to close these two threads, and start a thread where people can submit drafts for critique, attaching them to their posts? Then, if one has time, a draft can be read and commented on.
That's one for the mods. There are sites out there already for that.

I was pleased to find this one for SF and Fantasy:

http://sff.onlinewritingworkshop.com/

Graham

#150  gmw 08-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Quote Graham

And Geoff, I've been looking at my comma use and cutting down on the run-on sentences. :-)

Quote Katsunami
[...]Would it be an idea to close these two threads, and start a thread where people can submit drafts for critique, attaching them to their posts? Then, if one has time, a draft can be read and commented on.
I think we might as well close.

I've never been sure of exactly where the lines here fall with regard to asking critiques in a more general post. Some have asked for cover critiques, but you can do that without links back to your own site, whereas stories would need an external link - but whether that means that doing it via dropbox or something would be okay, I don't really know.

My guess is that something less specific than this anthology could be too open to abuse - with people putting up stories for promotion purposes rather than actually/genuinely looking for critique. You could say that the existing self-promotion subforum has this capability already - I've seen some (minimal) critiquing happen there - but people doing actual promotion there might feel they were getting pushed out if lots of conversation went on with critiques.

« First  « Prev   (15/15)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register