Mobileread
Historical Fiction Recommendations
#1  kerry431 08-20-2009, 06:13 PM
I was wondering what could be suggested for Historica fiction. I really like most of Bernard Cornwell books and also Simon Scarrow's Rome series as well as Conn Iggulden emporer series. I would like to find more along these lines if I could. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

#2  jgray 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM
These two authors are not new, but if you like biographical/historical pseudo-fiction, Irving Stone is good. For murder mystery set in historical England, the Cadfael stories by Ellis Peters are very good (it helps if you read all 20 in order).

#3  ludo 08-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I liked the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Sailor, nice mysteries with good characterization and they make ancient Rome come alive. Also mysteries set in Rome, but more humorous and less realistic are Lindsey Davies' novels in the Falco series.

#4  kerry431 08-21-2009, 12:00 AM
It seems the ones I try to get are US only (Roma for example) or just not listed at the Sony Store like the Cadfael series.

#5  Ea 08-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Colleen McCoullough's Master's of Rome series is very good. Serious and detailed, not light reading, but if you're interested in ancient Rome, they are very interesting and supposedly fairly historically accurate.

#6  AlexBell 08-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Rafael Sabatini and Stanley J. Weyman were prolific authors in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and were very popular in their day. Many of their books are available on this forum.

Scaramouche is probably the best known of Rafael Sabatini's books, and A Gentleman of France or Under the Red Robe were probably the best known of of Stanley J. Weyman's

Regards, Alex

#7  ahi 08-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Read Casanova's memoirs!

It is (doubtless occasionally embellished) non-fiction, but even more interesting than any historical novel that I have read to date. And while--in addition to all the adventures, misadventures, and travels--certainly carnal matters figure large in the book, they are (as far as I can tell after the first 700 pages) always described in amusingly non-vulgar ways.

- Ahi

#8  pdurrant 08-21-2009, 03:31 AM
For Rome, there's the ones beginning with I, Claudius by Robert Graves. There's also the splendid "Falco" series by Lindsey Davies, starting with The Silver Pigs

The Hornblower books by C S Forrester are also excellent

Quote kerry431
I was wondering what could be suggested for Historical fiction. I really like most of Bernard Cornwell books and also Simon Scarrow's Rome series as well as Conn Iggulden emporer series. I would like to find more along these lines if I could. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

#9  Sweetpea 08-21-2009, 03:39 AM
The books by Stephen R. Lawhead are a great read too. He has several series, The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and his latest (which are only in Kindle book available): King Raven Trilogy.

#10  Elsi 08-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Sarah Dunant and Philippa Gregory come to mind -- most, if not all, of their books are available for electronic readers.

Next »  Last »  (1/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register