Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for July • Life's a Beach, Water, Water, Everywhere
#1  CRussel 06-01-2020, 01:35 AM
Good morning, and welcome to the New Leaf Book Club's July Book Nomination thread where we select the book that the New Leaf Book Club will read in July, 2020. The theme is Life's a Beach, Water, Water, Everywhere .

Everyone is welcome to join the nomination process even if they'd rather lurk during the voting and discussion; if that is still a little too much commitment, please feel free to suggest titles without making a formal nomination. Also, don't sweat the links. It's helpful to check availability and prices before nominating in order to eliminate anything that's out of the question, but ultimately our global members with different gadgets and preferences will have to check for themselves.

The nominations will run through 9 AM PST, June 7, 2020. Each nomination requires a second to make it to the poll, which will remain open for three days. The discussion of the selection will start on July 15, 2020.

Any questions? See the FAQ below, or just ask!

FAQs for the Nomination, Selection and Discussion process

General Guidelines for the New Leaf Book Club

Official choices with three nominations:

#2  CRussel 06-01-2020, 01:37 AM
Nominations awaiting a second:

#3  Catlady 06-01-2020, 04:45 PM
I nominate At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen (2015, 362 pp.).

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • In this thrilling new novel from the author of Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen again demonstrates her talent for creating spellbinding period pieces. At the Water’s Edge is a gripping and poignant love story about a privileged young woman’s awakening as she experiences the devastation of World War II in a tiny village in the Scottish Highlands.

After disgracing themselves at a high society New Year’s Eve party in Philadelphia in 1944, Madeline Hyde and her husband, Ellis, are cut off financially by his father, a former army colonel who is already ashamed of his son’s inability to serve in the war. When Ellis and his best friend, Hank, decide that the only way to regain the Colonel’s favor is to succeed where the Colonel very publicly failed—by hunting down the famous Loch Ness monster—Maddie reluctantly follows them across the Atlantic, leaving her sheltered world behind.

The trio find themselves in a remote village in the Scottish Highlands, where the locals have nothing but contempt for the privileged interlopers. Maddie is left on her own at the isolated inn, where food is rationed, fuel is scarce, and a knock from the postman can bring tragic news. Yet she finds herself falling in love with the stark beauty and subtle magic of the Scottish countryside. Gradually she comes to know the villagers, and the friendships she forms with two young women open her up to a larger world than she knew existed. Maddie begins to see that nothing is as it first appears: the values she holds dear prove unsustainable, and monsters lurk where they are least expected.

As she embraces a fuller sense of who she might be, Maddie becomes aware not only of the dark forces around her, but of life’s beauty and surprising possibilities.
Amazon U.S., $13.99

E-book and audiobook. Available through Overdrive and Axis 360.

#4  Bookworm_Girl 06-02-2020, 12:36 AM
I will second At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen. It has been on my TBR. My husband liked her book Water for Elephants.

#5  JSWolf 06-02-2020, 07:14 AM
I shall nominate Sand (omnibus edition) by Hugh Howey.

The old world is buried. A new one has been forged atop the shifting dunes. Here in this land of howling wind and infernal sand, four siblings find themselves scattered and lost. Their father was a sand diver, one of the elite few who could travel deep beneath the desert floor and bring up the relics and scraps that keep their people alive. But their father is gone. And the world he left behind might be next.
Overdrive: https://www.overdrive.com/search?q=sand+hugh+howey
Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/Sand-Omnibus-Hugh-Howey-ebook/dp/B00HSXGYCK (also on Kindle Unlimited)
Amazom UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sand-Omnibus-Hugh-Howey-ebook/dp/B00I50K1Q0
eBooks.com UK: https://www.ebooks.com/en-gb/book/1619849/sand/hugh-howey (cheaper then Amazon UK)

#6  gmw 06-02-2020, 10:32 AM
I second Sand (omnibus edition) by Hugh Howey. Not a big fan of Wool, but it was good enough that I've been meaning to try something else from him.

Still trying to make up my mind, with ideas ranging from an 1870 classic that I've read a few times to a very popular 2005 fantasy for YA or middle grade readers that I've been wanting to try. Decision making disorder ... maybe.

#7  JSWolf 06-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Quote gmw
I second Sand (omnibus edition) by Hugh Howey. Not a big fan of Wool, but it was good enough that I've been meaning to try something else from him.
Thanks!

Still trying to make up my mind, with ideas ranging from an 1870 classic that I've read a few times to a very popular 2005 fantasy for YA or middle grade readers that I've been wanting to try. Decision making disorder ... maybe.
Go for the 2005 fantasy if it's not too long and easily available at Overdrive.

#8  CRussel 06-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Well, we've already got Sand, so I'm re-thinking my first inclination of Dune. Though I think there's likely to be more to discuss with it. OTOH, it's REALLY LONG if I remember correctly, which is definitely not a plus.

#9  JSWolf 06-02-2020, 12:19 PM
Quote CRussel
Well, we've already got Sand, so I'm re-thinking my first inclination of Dune. Though I think there's likely to be more to discuss with it. OTOH, it's REALLY LONG if I remember correctly, which is definitely not a plus.
IMHO, I feel that Dune would be too large.

#10  gmw 06-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Quote JSWolf
[...] Go for the 2005 fantasy if it's not too long and easily available at Overdrive.
But you didn't ask about the books in between. The 1957 apocalyptic story; the 1974 thriller; or the 1993 famous literary novel and more. But in the end, I decided to go with the 2005 option as the prices are pretty good right now. The main downside is that it's a big enough name that some of you may have read it already. Such is life. So the winner on the indecision stakes is...

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register