Mobileread
What book traumatized you as a kid?
#51  Fbone 08-17-2020, 11:32 PM
Brave New World traumatized me as an adult!

I don't recall any books but there were a few movies.

#52  curtw 08-21-2020, 01:26 PM
Nope. I guess I just loved reading so much that nothing disturbed me. My mom gave me an illustrated, annotated collection of Poe stories for my 8th birthday, and I gobbled 'em up. Tell-Tale Heart, Pit and the Pendulum, Murders in the Rue Morgue. Great stuff!

#53  haertig 08-21-2020, 01:44 PM
The only traumatic childhood book I remember was the textbook for Government class (now called "Political Science") back in Junior High (now called "Middle School").

#54  ekbell 08-24-2020, 11:51 AM
I remember a book of Canadian Folklore and legend that included a section of urban folktales (cars and hands and aaarrrggghhh).

#55  JSWolf 08-25-2020, 08:11 PM
Quote Fbone
Brave New World traumatized me as an adult!

I don't recall any books but there were a few movies.
Have a watch of the TV series and let us know if it's as traumatizing as the book.

#56  Apache 08-25-2020, 10:04 PM
For my son it was the Bible. Specifically, the one the Nun used to hit him over the head with.
True story.
Apache

#57  theducks 08-29-2020, 04:26 PM
Edger Alan POE <pick almost any title >

#58  Mikou 08-29-2020, 07:30 PM
I only recall 2 books that traumatized me as a child:
1) Swiss Family Robinson. The snake scene (eating the donkey) was extremely disturbing. Up until then, I didn't know snakes could get that big and I was horrified by the idea of the donkey being slowly digested (and the idea that the same could possibly happen to a human.) I don't know how old I was when I read it, but it was before I turned 9.
2) In middle school (10 to 12 years old) I read a lot of Stephen King. Obviously, many of his stories are creepy/scary. But the one that disturbed me the most was "The Apt Pupil", because the "monster" was a human and I found that scarier than anything that was obviously imaginary.

#59  Dr. Drib 08-30-2020, 02:08 PM
"Stranger Than Science," by Frank Edwards.

One event about spontaneous combustion scared the living crap out of me. The book is fascinating.

#60  Winkelschraube 10-04-2020, 12:13 PM
No trauma, but the beginning of a lifelong love for an author: As a child in school, I was 11-12 years old when the teacher told us to borrow a serious big book from the school library and read it through during the long summer vacations. I took "Stephen King - Pet Sematary". I didn't know anything about it and neither did the teacher, otherwise it was not allowed. I was scared but could not stop.

A world opened up to me. I am eternally grateful to the teacher.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (6/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register