Mobileread
Ebook reader that is good for manga
#41  JSWolf 10-16-2020, 09:33 AM
Quote rowe
‘I'm not a fan of the Android readers. They run very obsolete verisons of the OS with all of the problems this entails.’
At points, this has been true. But all the current Onyx models are Android 9/10. My son reads manga for 5 hours every day on his Nova Pro - that it’s Android 6 has never been an issue.

The ideal size is 7”, but 6” is fine if you have good eyesight. 8” you’ll notice quality issues in poor sources more, but again it’s not a big deal.

With say a poke 2, you’d have a device that could have new chapters automatically delivered as soon as they’re available. Either from commercial apps, or Tachiyomi. That’s a massive timesaver, especially for ongoing series.
Onyx Boox has some new Readers that come with Android 10 including two new 10.3" Readers which are good for Manga.

#42  tinkywinky666 10-16-2020, 05:54 PM
Quote JSWolf
Kobo does dither rather well. So while it only has 16 shades of gray, it looks like it has more because of the high resolution and the dithering.
Yeah...so I was afraid, while Onyx got 7.8 inches devices, those can differ in quality from Forma as based on my Naruto example https://ibb.co/311QSZ5

Quote rowe
‘I'm not a fan of the Android readers. They run very obsolete verisons of the OS with all of the problems this entails.’
At points, this has been true. But all the current Onyx models are Android 9/10. My son reads manga for 5 hours every day on his Nova Pro - that it’s Android 6 has never been an issue.

The ideal size is 7”, but 6” is fine if you have good eyesight. 8” you’ll notice quality issues in poor sources more, but again it’s not a big deal.

With say a poke 2, you’d have a device that could have new chapters automatically delivered as soon as they’re available. Either from commercial apps, or Tachiyomi. That’s a massive timesaver, especially for ongoing series.

Maybe You Sir could show us This Naruto manga 72 page on Your son Nova Pro for our little comparison https://ibb.co/311QSZ5 ? Would appreciate the help

ps. found the perfect sized (more of a display itself shape: long but less wide. Just look how page is fitting the screen!):
Onyx N96ML
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MDulWjZGgrM/maxresdefault.jpg
https://www.bookrunch.com/pics/news/1454951338.jpg

Onyx is planning its version 2: Boox Note S e-Reader hmmmmmmmmmm

However it seems dat to achieve Forma quality over Libra we would have to buy their 10.3 Boox Note
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/k0fSTQgStVg/maxresdefault.jpg

As for Nova Pro, there was only 1 dimmed photo with washed out effects on the whole internet so not so much a review;///
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GUaaTDY2uNQ/maxresdefault.jpg

But MAYBE 7.8 inches Nova Pro / 2 or Kin - Toki Onyx will give us same effect as forma and buying 9-10 inches device won't be ncsry...

#43  ratinox 10-16-2020, 06:31 PM
Quote rowe
But all the current Onyx models are Android 9/10.
But the previous generations will never see a current OS release.

Amazon and Kobo and Apple and Google make money selling content. Readers and phones and tablets are the packaging used to deliver that content. Keeping them up to date keeps existing customers buying more product.

Onyx, Fiio and other hardware manufacturers across the board make money selling hardware. They don't have content stores, and keeping old products up to date generates no revenue so they largely don't bother once a model goes out of production. If you're okay with this then you do you, but be aware that buying these products is a short term dead end.

#44  salamanderjuice 10-16-2020, 08:42 PM
Quote ratinox
But the previous generations will never see a current OS release.

Amazon and Kobo and Apple and Google make money selling content. Readers and phones and tablets are the packaging used to deliver that content. Keeping them up to date keeps existing customers buying more product.

Onyx, Fiio and other hardware manufacturers across the board make money selling hardware. They don't have content stores, and keeping old products up to date generates no revenue so they largely don't bother once a model goes out of production. If you're okay with this then you do you, but be aware that buying these products is a short term dead end.
Oynx has a real store in China.

Considering that most book reader apps are perfectly usable on an ancient version of Android like 4.4 from 2013 and most new android features are near useless on an eInk, non-phone device, I'm not sure how big an issue it really is.

Not every feature hits the older Kobos or Kindles either. My Kobo Aura One never got Dropbox support for example, that's only reserved for new Forma so far. Older Kindles like the Kindle 2 can't handle AZW3 books cutting them off from stuff like manga, later Kindles didn't get KFX and the better typography, etc.

They make sure most books work in some form or another on most devices but older devices don't get a lot of newer features either.

#45  rowe 10-17-2020, 04:43 AM
Android OS version isn't that important for reading, and the latest devices shouldn't have issues for reading for many, many years. The batteries are more likely to go first. I can see why people get upset by Boox not upgrading older devices to new Android versions, but in practice it has very little effect on reading.

An example of manga on the Nova 2:
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0IGgZLKuGM5JIW

It looks great. All the screens of common modern readers are from the same company and share the same spec for their size. Boox has more user control over rendering than most.

Trying to match the screen to source resolution isn't the right approach IMO. For manga the source is typically 7", blowing it up to 10" isn't going to see any improvement unless you're doing it because your eyesight is poor.

If you do have good eyesight you'll notice the degradation in quality. 6/7/8" is fine for manga and will be 300DPI on a good device. On modern 10" readers the DPI is 227.

Many manga sources are poor quality, you'll enjoy them more on a 6". High quality sources will look great on 7/8".

I have a 13" Max 3 with the highest resolution e-ink screen, manga scanned at a high resolution looks terrible on it because the source physical size is so much smaller (but it's ideal for graphic novels).

#46  ratinox 10-17-2020, 10:52 AM
Quote salamanderjuice
Oynx has a real store in China.
If so, their English sites do not indicate such, only hardware sales. Regardless, I could list a slew of others which only do hardware. Or just search for "cheap tablet" on Amazon and you'll find a bunch.

Considering that most book reader apps are perfectly usable on an ancient version of Android like 4.4 from 2013 and most new android features are near useless on an eInk, non-phone device, I'm not sure how big an issue it really is.
The problem isn't reading functions. It's security. There are many known, easily exploited flaws and vulnerabilities in old versions which will never be fixed. So, for example, if you were to use the Amazon reader app to read books on one of these devices your Amazon account information would be at risk.

#47  salamanderjuice 10-17-2020, 12:16 PM
Quote ratinox
If so, their English sites do not indicate such, only hardware sales. Regardless, I could list a slew of others which only do hardware. Or just search for "cheap tablet" on Amazon and you'll find a bunch.

The problem isn't reading functions. It's security. There are many known, easily exploited flaws and vulnerabilities in old versions which will never be fixed. So, for example, if you were to use the Amazon reader app to read books on one of these devices your Amazon account information would be at risk.
Why would their English site bother mentioning that they have a book store in Chinese for Chinese books? It's very easy to see on the devices when you set the language to Chinese, you get a cart, you get professional looking books with prices and buy buttons, etc.

Amazon isn't offering security updates for old readers either.

Most Android phones are still lackluster with regards to updates too, and those probably have considerably more important information on them. I don't bank on my ereader, it's not linked to my two factor authentication etc. The damage is much more limited.

#48  ottischwenk 10-17-2020, 03:04 PM
Quote ratinox
The problem only exists when you access the Internet via APN (eg. LTE), but not via WiFi.
Therefore, only smartphones or tablets with direct access are at risk.
Only these require Android security updates.

#49  ratinox 10-18-2020, 11:01 AM
Quote ottischwenk
The problem only exists when you access the Internet via APN (eg. LTE), but not via WiFi.
Therefore, only smartphones or tablets with direct access are at risk.
Only these require Android security updates.
Outdated core security libraries, most notably OpenSSL, are vulnerable which means all traffic using them is vulnerable regardless of the physical network interfaces. All connected devices require security updates, and you don't reliably get them from the Chinese brands.

Quote salamanderjuice
Why would their English site bother mentioning that they have a book store in Chinese for Chinese books? It's very easy to see on the devices when you set the language to Chinese, you get a cart, you get professional looking books with prices and buy buttons, etc.
Good to know. But that just makes me question the lack of consistent updates all the more.

Amazon isn't offering security updates for old readers either.
Actually, Amazon do support their devices for many years after they go out of production. Likewise Kobo and Apple. Not so much the Chinese brands.

Most Android phones are still lackluster with regards to updates too, and those probably have considerably more important information on them. I don't bank on my ereader, it's not linked to my two factor authentication etc. The damage is much more limited.
Absolutely. I'm not singling out the readers here. I'm accusing all of these companies and advising potential buyers to beware of what they're getting into.

#50  ottischwenk 10-18-2020, 02:31 PM
Quote ratinox
Actually, Amazon do support their devices for many years after they go out of production. Likewise Kobo
Here only the applications are updated, not the underlying operating system and certainly not the security aspects.
And I don't care if any service reads which books I get from the cloud if I happen to be online.
In any case, I am not thinking of doing banking with an Android reader.
When it comes to security, you can also exaggerate.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (5/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register