Mobileread
Collected Works Poe, Edgar Allan: Complete Works | v.2.1 | Update 23 Apr 2017
#11  ghostyjack 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Quote pynch
Hi ghostyjack, nice to hear that Jack London gets a proper treatment, I can imagine how much work that is. It may seem that I ‘knock them out fast,’ but I actually started working on some of my collections last year, before I began to release them two months ago. I’m lucky to have some more time available and I spent some weekends on this, as the original Gutenberg texts were almost unreadable (the unformatted poems and the interspersed footnotes being a particular nuisance).
Have fun reading the Poe, best, pynch.
He's done a fair few books and it will take some time to complete them.

My plan is to get all his work out in ePub as we don't have any here on this site. Thought I'd start with a favourite of mine first (I've even got the pictures that the book originally contained, will need to check their copyright first before including them) and then see which to do next.

If I can do as nice a job as you've done of your books, then I'll be happy. I can then go back and revisit my Lovecraft books and try and polish them up.

After I get all these out, I'll give some thought to putting together an omnibus version as well so as to save people downloading lots of books if they don't want to.

#12  Greg Anos 06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
If the edition is before 1923 in the US (or 1921) in Canada, the images should be public domain. (Certainly public domain in US.)

#13  ghostyjack 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote Ralph Sir Edward
If the edition is before 1923 in the US (or 1921) in Canada, the images should be public domain. (Certainly public domain in US.)
1906 is definately before that date. I'm in the UK though, so will need to make sure that it wasn't renewed here. I suspect though I'm ok to put them in but don't want to run the risk.

#14  pynch 06-14-2012, 03:14 AM
It’s the <pre>-classes (as in preformatted) which keep the poem lines from refloating and get them cut off at the end. If you want to change them, I found a fairly good description here of how to format poems adequately (you should add "text-align: left", though, in the specification of div.poem, if standard text is justified).

Quote crich70
Thanks. Though I haven't compared my version to Pynch's I know that different readers might like different versions. I did have some problems with the poems lining up right for some reason, and maybe Pynch had better luck there. Mine was made from the 5 volume set at Gutenberg which might explain the margin problem. I never have been exactly certain of what caused it.

#15  Jellby 06-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Quote ghostyjack
I'm in the UK though, so will need to make sure that it wasn't renewed here. I suspect though I'm ok to put them in but don't want to run the risk.
I believe in the UK (and the rest of the EU) it's only the year of the author's death that matters (the author of the text, or the illustrations, or the notes...).

#16  ghostyjack 06-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Quote Jellby
I believe in the UK (and the rest of the EU) it's only the year of the author's death that matters (the author of the text, or the illustrations, or the notes...).
Now that's good to hear, seeing as it's 106 years since the book was published, chances are good that the illustrator is now dead, just need to find out when. Time to break out the magnifying glass and look for a signature on them.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Pynch, didn't mean to do that.

#17  pynch 06-14-2012, 05:47 AM
As the obsession with people dying and the happy acceptance of it seem to become a part of the discussion now, I can still see some relation to Poe’s writings, so I accept the apology.

Quote ghostyjack
Now that's good to hear, seeing as it's 106 years since the book was published, chances are good that the illustrator is now dead, just need to find out when. Time to break out the magnifying glass and look for a signature on them.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Pynch, didn't mean to do that.

#18  Jellby 06-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote ghostyjack
Now that's good to hear, seeing as it's 106 years since the book was published, chances are good that the illustrator is now dead, just need to find out when.
Not so fast, it's not enough for the illustrator to be dead, he/she must have been dead for the last 70 years (I believe that's the number in the UK?).

#19  pynch 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM
“White Fang” was illustrated by Charles Livingston Bull who died in 1932. Case closed, I assume.

#20  Prestidigitweeze 06-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I can't tell you how happy I am to find such a lovingly created epub version of the Raven edition. These are the volumes I read and eventually owned growing up, and now I needn't worry about troubling their cracked bindings and cabbage-thick pages.

Thanks again!

By the way, crich: The "five-volume omnibus" on Gutenberg is probably the same raw text used for pynch's edition (since the Raven edition is in five volumes, is part of the Gutenberg library and is the only such five-volume set listed), so I suspect you've both created different versions from the same source. But how exactly are five volumes that comprise Poe's collected works an omnibus in the sense of being one volume, if the epub edition in question reproduces the order and formatting of those separate volumes within a kind of meta-volume? You have not only individual works collected, but, at least in Pynch's case, the volumes of the complete collection intact.

Besides which, an omnibus needn't be complete. I happen to prefer complete works or collected works if the book in question does not consist of certain previously published books by one writer or an anthology of related books by a few. My edition of three novels by Thomas Love Peacock is an omnibus, but Peacock wrote far more books than that.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register